PDA

View Full Version : First lead quest in many years

max range
11-15-2011, 06:42 PM
I am retired now and have time to resume my casting/reloading hobby. I got out my molds and handles, lube dies and my rusty & trusty Lyman 45 and a few old gray one pound ingots. Hmmm not enough lead. So I went to four independent tire places. Here was the receptions I got:
a) Don't got no wheelweights.
b) No we don't give them away or sell em.
c) We BUY lead. We have so many people asking to buy it we could use more. We got a list of names. They come when we call.
d) What for? fishing jigs? Sure, go ask that guy. He gave me three ea. one gallon milk jugs full. All clean (just road dirt) no spit, no drool. He told the other guys he was going to lunch (he was the boss) so I gave him a ten spot.

Now bear in mind that I retired 8 miles from Galena, Kansas. The town I live in was the heart of the lead and zinc mining district for half a century. There are still tailing piles around the area although they cleaned up miles and miles of it.

At the last shop, I spied a 18" square wooded box packed with weights. and covered with dust (its an old established tire shop). I may cast up a bunch of fishing sinkers, and but a dozen local jigs and drop them off at the shop next month.
I will need a two wheeled dolly to move that box of old weights. Tomorrow I start smelting.

P.K.
11-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Nice haul, look out for the zinc and steel in the mix.

Read this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130099

leadbutt
11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Sounds like you have a good amount to hold you over till you find your next score. Good job.

WHITETAIL
11-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Max, Welcome to the forum!
Keep your eyes and ears out for lead.
You will never know where you will find it.:2gunsfiring_v1:

bslim
11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
The nicest part of finding WW's that are covered with dust and piled in some remote corner, is that most times they are from a time when Steel and Zinc WW's were non existent.