PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Find

snowtigger
02-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Went to a gun show today. Thought I was going to get away scott free. Bought a little brass, and was about to leave. Then I spotted a Smith model 29-2. It was Nickel, in a presentation case, tools still in their plastic bag. The gun looks nearly un-fired. 8 3/8" barrel. It looks all original.
Where can I go to find what year it was produced, and maybe it's approx value? I know what I had to pay for it, now I'd like to know if I got a reasonable deal.
PS: It still has it's original paperwork in the box, even the warranty registration card.

felix
02-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Put up on gunbroker with a value you want as minimum, and see what happens. That is the only way to find out what it is worth to the general public. What you paid for it is obviously what it is worth to you. ... felix

snowtigger
02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanx Felix. I paid $525.00 for it. What I really want to know is where I can find out when it was made. I probably won't sell it, and I don't know if I will shoot it, it is so near pristine....

mooman76
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Check Gunbroker and auctionarms.com and someone is bound to be selling one and you will have an idea!

wills
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Try
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&content=25301&sectionId=10504

XBT
02-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Snowtigger, M29-2’s were made from 1961 to 1982. Post the serial number and someone here might be able to date your gun a bit closer.

If you wish substitute x’s for the last three numbers.

BruceB
02-17-2007, 11:25 PM
In particular, go to

www.smith-wessonforum.com

and read well back in the "Classified" section. Do a search for "29-2" in that section as well, or even on the entire site if you want to read a LOT about guns like your new one. Now, no matter how pristine it looks, take it out and SHOOT IT!!!! You won't retire on the paltry few hundred bucks you may gain by letting it sit unfired in a cabinet for a decade or three, so you may as well use it as was intended and enjoy the living dickens out of it.....

Many people value the shorter-barreled Smiths higher than the long ones, but I LOVE the 8.375" format. I envy your acquisition. I can tell you right now that your cost on that 29-2, in the condition you describe, is a very fair deal indeed and that I believe you got the better of it. I would have jumped on it.

If you care to post your gun's serial number with two or three "x" substitutions for the last digits, I can give you a close approximation of its birthdate. Make sure you say whether the letter prefix is "S" or "N".

snowtigger
02-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks, everyone. Bruceb, I will probably shoot it. I am one of those who make the rest of the "gun safe queens" increase in value. I can't resist. LOL.. Most of my handloads were loaded for my Rugers, but i think I can find a box or two of factory loads around here somewhere.
From now on, I will have to keep the ammo seperate.
Oops. the serial# isN 721203.

BruceB
02-18-2007, 12:20 AM
"........ the serial# is N 721203."

...and the second edition of the 'Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson' dates your gun to 1980.

Man, I'm a hopeless junkie for N-frame Smiths (closely followed by a similar craving for K-frames).

snowtigger
02-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks, BruceB, I think I'll go shoot it tomorrow.....

MT Gianni
02-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Boy, after reading this thread I find that my 624 is under the recall. I have sent the serial #s to S&W and am awaiting to hear if it needs to be returned to be tested. Gianni.