PDA

View Full Version : Red dot fun

44man
11-15-2011, 12:06 PM
A friend came to shoot and when done I had a few shots left so I asked to play with his red dot. I only had enough for two shots at each setting. I was a little left so got on center pretty good. Those are the two right over the bull. I went up 10 clicks and it moved POI up 1-1/4". I went 10 more and that moved POI 1-5/8" up and 3/4" right. I then went down 20 and 10 more. That opened shots and moved POI 4" below. I went 10 more down and that went another 4" and started to go left. The shots were also wide.
It shows how screwy clicks are and that the rubber pivot has not settled.
I went back up 20 clicks but ran out of shots to see if I am back to normal. I don't think it will be.
Fiddle and fiddle. It takes a lot of shots to get them right and a lot of fiddling. Never expect them to move what the paper says.

subsonic
11-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Ud6? Md2?

44man
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Ud6? Md2?
UD 30 but my Bushnell does the same. So did the Millet and Tasco.
It takes time to get where you want but then they will be OK. My Old Loopy scope also does not follow but is better. I hate the friction settings. I still have to fiddle with it.
No matter what, once set, nothing is better for hunting then the Ultra Dot. It will take recoil from anything.
Just throw the paper in a pile and find the settings yourself.
Yes even if you hit right and go left, you can go way left, come back a click and be centered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAZY. :bigsmyl2:

Whiterabbit
11-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Fiddle and fiddle. It takes a lot of shots to get them right and a lot of fiddling. Never expect them to move what the paper says.

When I mounted my matchdot I wanted to try to prove this wrong. So I leveld my BFR, placed the dot in there, and pointed it at a plumbob I hung. I ran the match dot all the way up and all the way down and got it to stay nuts on that bob string.

I'll be darned if the MD wasn't visually crooked in an extreme way.

So I leveled everything and forgot about it. And yes my dot also shifts a little bit left and right when adjusting elevation and I'm OK with it. Like you said. fiddle fiddle, then it's GTG.