PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel and Dumplings

Bomberman
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
I was fortunate enough to bag three nice Gray Squirrels and thought I'd share my favorite way to prepare them.

Take your squirrels, cut in half, dust with seasoned flour. Brown in a dutch oven with hot oil and a little butter. Add four cups of chicken broth, 6 diced carrots, 4 diced celery stalks, and one large diced onion. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until squirrels are tender. Remove squirrels and remove meat from the bones. Return meat to dutch oven and return to simmer.

For the dumplings, use 1 cup of Bisquick mix and 1/3 cup milk and add two tablespoons of chopped parsley. Mix until moistened and drop into the dutch oven...about two tablespoons at a time. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of sour cream.

Enjoy!

PbHurler
11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
You just reeeealy hurt me!
Sounds great, I wish I could get out for some squirrel again someday. Fried squirrel with biscuits & squirrel gravy for breakfast; it don't get any better than that.