PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using randyrat's "TAC" lube?

Dannix
11-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Anyone using randyrat's "TAC" lube?
TAC #1 boolit lube/ mold sprue lube (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131679)

I was about to put in an order for some lube to compliment a Star lubesizer en route, some Carnauba Red, but then I came across randyrat's offering. I was going to do a cost analysis, but unfortunately Lar's site doesn't give a mass for their sticks.

Thoughts on TAC compared to Carnauba Red?

fredj338
11-15-2011, 02:36 AM
If this helps you, the WhiteLabel sticks are right about 2oz. Really tough to make your own for what they sell them for, if you have to buy the components, but I keep trying.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I have some of Randyrat's Tak #1
I did need some heat for it to flow through my Lyman 45 lubesizer,
but my casting room is cold...typically 60º

once applied, It sticks in the lube grooves well and is not too tacky on the fingers,
and after about one day after it is applied, it is completely tackfree to my fingers.

I haven't loaded any or shot any yet.
I will post more when I do.
Jon

LenH
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I just bought the kit . I got it because of some of the post about
the TAC lube. I also wanted to try his sprue plate lube. He has one heck of a deal going on that kit right now.

Made half a batch (1#) and it took bout 20 minutes total. I'll have to cast a few boolits and check this stuff out.

Dannix
11-24-2011, 02:19 AM
White Label
24 sticks in bags = 1.65*24 + 5.60 shipping for 48oz = $45.2

So that's $.9416 per oz shipped

Randyrat
2lb shipped for $35

So that's $1.094 per oz shipped

Wow, it is indeed tough to justify not just going the White Label route.

Please do post how you like the TAC lube though! I remain curious in its capability.

btroj
11-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Are you really going to worry aout 16 cents an ounce? That is enough lube to last most any shooter well over 2 years.

randyrat
11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
White Label
24 sticks in bags = 1.65*24 + 5.60 shipping for 48oz = $45.2

So that's $.9416 per oz shipped

Randyrat
2lb shipped for $35

So that's $1.094 per oz shipped

Wow, it is indeed tough to justify not just going the White Label route.

Please do post how you like the TAC lube though! I remain curious in its capability. I am not trying to compete and price out the guys that have been selling lube for a long time..I'm just offering a unique lube ...It is a high performance lube and is not offered here on this forum, think of it as a free country choice.

I handle all the ingredients so it makes sense to sell the lube also. I would much prefer to sell you fellows all the stuff you need to make your own, in a all you need kit (2 lbs of TAC#1 for $18.95 shipped).

I have successfully used it in calipers 44 mag (full bore nuke loads) 30-30 med loads, 30-06 med loads, 357 mag loads, 45 acp, 40 cal loads. That covers all I can handle for shooting time...

You will find it is a medium hardness lube that won't melt below 150 deg F...some heat is needed to flow in most lube/size machines. You can even leave out most of the carnauba wax in the dead of winter or can add a bit more in the summer heat, it still performs well.

The other guys here selling lubes are top of the line fellows and I don't have any intention to get in their way or try to under cut them.
So give it a try if you want a very good unique lube for extreme heat or extreme cold. Check out the "Vendor Section"

Dannix
11-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Are you really going to worry aout 16 cents an ounce?
Not at all. Was just looking for a DIY cheap-route to take for some still proper lube (and the TAC lube looks properly good indeed, which is why I asked about it).

I am not trying to compete and price out the guys that have been selling lube for a long time..I'm just offering a unique lube ...It is a high performance lube and is not offered here on this forum, think of it as a free country choice.
I'm totally on board with you Randy. I wasn't critiquing you or your prices in the least, and I appreciate the products you offer here.

I'm looking forward to give your TAC lube a good a some point. Right now I'm just taking the mantra of "One war at the time" with my hobby to-tinker-with list. (Bonus points for those who and name the quote origin without googling).

Thanks! :Fire:

Edit: Wow, did you introduce a sell pice just for me? I hope not! That's quite good of you if so. How could I refuse? PM en route. I'll donate part of the savings to the forum (and the other part towards a heater).

Dan Cash
11-25-2011, 07:43 AM
This analysis of lube prices reminds me of what my old quail hunting partner would say about that sport. "If you try to count what the birds cost you, stay home as you can't afford to hunt."

Rokkit Syinss
11-25-2011, 10:46 AM
This analysis of lube prices reminds me of what my old quail hunting partner would say about that sport. "If you try to count what the birds cost you, stay home as you can't afford to hunt."

Someone asked me about the cost of hunting once and my reply was, "It costs me a pleasant day outside and nothing more because otherwise I'd be at the range shooting 100 rounds or so just for giggles."

Dannix
11-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I try to remain reasonably irrational. E.g. I decided to not spend the green on j-word .357 bullets to reload as a gift for a mate, so now I'm looking at going BT Sniper's swagging route. Also getting in a Star Lubesizer shortly here.

If anyone come across a coffee pot like this, (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=865133&postcount=9) please let me know. Also got to look into a cheapskape alternative to Magma's heater.

It's remarkable how much money we'll spend trying to save money. :mrgreen: