PDA

View Full Version : Pewter appraisal wanted

leadbutt
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Here are some pics of my pewter collection. All of it was obtained at the flea market and not from the misses. Id like someone to take a glance at it and let me know if there are any pieces that i should keep/sell. Other then that they are going into the melt pot here soon. Thanks in advance.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/161724ec1a98a3e0ef.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/161724ec1a98a776e0.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/161724ec1a98ab5700.jpg

L. Bottoms

clodhopper
11-14-2011, 09:12 PM
The more rare pieces we melt down, the more valuable the survivors become.
Collecters just have to love us bullet casters!
" all the while expressing contempt"

imashooter2
11-14-2011, 09:26 PM
On the other hand, judging from eBay prices and how much doesn't sell at all, there aren't very many "rare" pieces that are worth more than the price of scrap tin.

Suo Gan
11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
I have melted dozens of the glass bottomed tankards. It needs to be done outside because the stuff they used to seal the glass and pewter is terrible!

leadbutt
11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Guess into the pot they go....

jsizemore
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd check the octagonal pitcher and the sugar bowl with the lid.
The pitcher is 2 to the left of the suger bowl in the first picture. The sugar bowl with lid is in all 3 pictures. Check the names and do a search.

Did you weigh all your treasures? What was your price per pound, if you don't mind me asking? Mine ends up around $3/lb.

trench
11-16-2011, 10:02 PM
That's a very, very cheap source of tin if so! 7-8 years ago, "non-lead" solder, 95% tin was $9 a lb at a plumbing supply place!

leadbutt
11-17-2011, 03:44 PM
The pitcher with the handle i think is the most expensive piece at 3$. the tankards were like 1$ a piece. The lil flower vase with the pink sticker showing was a dime.

kbstenberg
11-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I keep some smaller pieces I have found for small stuff on my loading bench. Pencil /pen holders , small tool containers, temp bullet storage an the like. I can always melt them in the future. When there gone there gone. Just my 2 cents

OBIII
11-21-2011, 04:33 PM
While I appreciate the use of pewter in making boolits, (I have no problem with it), you just may want to start a stash of goblets, plates, etc.., cause if the shtf, glass will no longer be made, plastic will no longer be made, styrofoam will no longer be made. Hate to see someone carving logs for drinking vessels. :holysheep

glassparman
11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
I was just about to melt a pot down some time back and my wife came running in and stopped me. It was worth $100 on ebay so we sold it.

I check everything by the names on the bottom now before I melt it.

I was using the pewter for other things . . . do you guys use it straight up for boolits??

joken
11-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Some of that stuff is not pewter. My wife collects Wilton Armetal (sp) and it somewhat resembles pewter, but is not. I've never tried to melt any of it. Wilton will have ID stamps on it. Also, some of it is very valuable, like her $500 bear cookie jar. Just sayin' Ken

imashooter2
11-25-2011, 01:09 PM
LOL! I've got a nice Woodbury Compote #7. If I look at their web site I see it is worth $106.50 plus shipping. If I look at eBay, I find they don't sell for a $10 asking price. Modern pewter isn't worth squat on the secondary market.

leadbutt
11-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Some of that stuff is not pewter. My wife collects Wilton Armetal (sp) and it somewhat resembles pewter, but is not.

Na its all pewter. Everything is marked. It all melted down the same and molded into ingots the same. Whenever i see what im pretty certain is pewter and its not marked i leave it on the table. There are different types of pewter. Alot of the really old pewter has lead in it mixed with the tin. All that on the table made 20+ lbs worth of ingots. Ive decided that id rather melt pewter then WWs lol.

L. Bottoms

joken
11-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Well, I guess Armetal melts at a pretty low trmperature then. I'll have to fimd a piece of hers and try it.

imashooter2
11-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Well, I guess Armetal melts at a pretty low trmperature then. I'll have to fimd a piece of hers and try it.

Armetale does not melt at anything close to lead casting temperatures. What in those pictures looks like Wilton to you? Nothing does to me...