PDA

View Full Version : adding hardend shot to lead

corvette8n
02-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I got a couple of pounds of hardend #7's from a buddy that I want to add to my lead pipe I already smelted.
Should I add to the pot after ignots are melted or should make some ignot first from the shot.
Also how much should add.
BTW I order a Lee hardness tester.

454PB
02-17-2007, 04:57 PM
You can do it either way. I personally like to do small batches, that way if I don't like the result, it's easy to correct. You will probably want to add some tin for better castability. The recipe will depend on the amount of antimony in the shot, but I'm guessing around 1 to 1 if you are air cooling.

Ricochet
02-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Of course shot has been water dropped for a couple hundred years, at least.

leftiye
02-17-2007, 07:36 PM
So there's a difference (or not?) between hardened , and "magnum" lead shot? Magnum lead shot is supposed to be about 5% antimony I've heard.

anachronism
02-18-2007, 06:53 PM
"Chilled" and "magnum" shot are different. I use magnum shot with a dose of tin for hunting loads, and simply air cool them. Chilled shot is pretty soft, and I only use it in my scrap lead melts, for plinkers. I don't remember the exact numbers anymore. Magnum shot also makes very pretty bullets.

drinks
02-19-2007, 12:04 PM
The best use for chilled shot is to add a trace of arsenic to an alloy so it will harden when water dropped.
Usually, wws have enough to start with, but try a pot, see if the bullets harden, if not add a small amount, about 2 tablespoons to 10lb, should let it harden nicely.