PDA

View Full Version : Lee Alox for Rifle?

kappy
11-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm curious... When I purchased my Lee sizers for .40 and .45, they included some of this liquid Alox stuff. I'd been using the stuff which came with my Lyman sizer, but it was just getting everywhere...

I started using the liquid Alox on my cast 303 rounds. Is there any downside to this? You can see a thin veneer of lube on it... but it isn't "filling" the lube rings.

I haven't really seen any leading yet...

nanuk
11-13-2011, 08:50 PM
if used as directed, it will not fill the lube grooves, nor was it meant to

Sonnypie
11-14-2011, 12:45 AM
I've been using LLA (Lee Liquid Alox) on my cast boolits right along. Came with the 45 and the 30 cal sizing dies.
I cast 30 caliber for my 30-06, and 45 caliber for my 45 ACP.
No leading noted yet.
I use Lyman #2 formula for my rifle boolits, from Rotometals.
And I use Magnum Shot with a little tin added for the 45's.
I've chronographed the 30 cal up to 1940 FPS with a string average of 1898 FPS. So I'm a bit beyond what many have recommended speed wise.
I've tried a few variations, like stand them up, and dipping, as well as straight with the directions (except I didn't have an ice cream tub, so I used a butter container) and spread to dry overnight.
Honestly, dribble, swirl, dump, has worked fine.
I did thin it out, and tried the 45/45/10 recipe. But I didn't cook down the JPW enough. It still worked, and dried faster than straight out of the bottle.
I don't think mule snot is as accurate a description as calling it ear wax, though.
My next order will be for White Label Lube liquid xlox. Quarts will make LLA's tiny bottles look anemic.

kappy
11-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Do I need to thin it out? The LLA is pretty thin as it is... if you shake the rounds up enough...

sqlbullet
11-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Lots of people (myself included) have a hard time not being enthusiastic with the amount we use. Thinning it helps us end up with the right amount after the solvent evaporates. And a little JPW will make the finish harder.

As far as downside, only you can say. I haven't had great luck, but many have. If you are getting acceptable accuracy and no leading, then I don't see a downside.

Baron von Trollwhack
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
You will soon find that it is possible to use so much alox that loading bullets so lubed is indeed the other end of the spectrum.

Thinned considerably liquid alox dries quicker, is less sticky and easier to load. As long as what you do with it prevents leading.

Only a few here take joy in cleaning badly leaded bores or gummed up dies.

BvT

Jim
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I mix my alox with mineral spirits, 90% alox to 10% M/S. I tumble lube in an old aluminum dutch oven Janet gave me. I put a VERY little bit of the mixture in the pot, swirl well and put in the draft of a small fan. I set a kitchen timer to 15 minutes. When the bell rings, I swirl again. I let 'em set for 24 hrs. and repeat the process one more time. THEN, I ignore them for 3 days so they dry up completely. I'm sure I'm the only one that has such a strange method, but it works for me.

That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.

kappy
11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Wow. You guys are way beyond me. I've been using an old Gatorade bottle. Dump the bullets in, squeeze in a helping of Alox, shake, shake, shake. Then I dump them on a piece of paper towel. I go load them the next day or so.

jhalcott
11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Ive used LLA on revolver, contender and rifle bullets with zero problems so far. Velocity from 900 to 2200 fps has left no leading in MY bores. I've used it straight from the bottle on a certain bullet that drops from the mold about 1 to 1 1/2 thousandth small. That is a 30 caliber mold that shoots MUCH better with the thick LLA coating .I gas check it with out sizing it.