PDA

View Full Version : Mold storage

shooter93
11-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Every now and then between what I make for the business and what I make for friends hounding me for their stuff I find some time do do something for me. Some left over pre-finished plywood, some oak veneers and some solid oak and I built this cabinet to store my molds in. I put handles on all my molds and the cabinet will hold 56 molds which is all I'll ever need. The box on top is drilled to hold 66 sizer dies....And before anyone asks....I have no friends at this site....lol

buyobuyo
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Very nice cabinet. Do you plan on storing top punches in the drawer with the mold?

Ben
11-13-2011, 04:16 PM
shooter93

I don't know your location, but will moisture control be a problem ? ?

frankenfab
11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
shooter93

I don't know your location, but will moisture control be a problem ? ?

I was thinking the same thing. I like the flat finish better, but maybe it would be necessary to seal it to keep the moisture level down?

That is an absolutely beautiful cabinet. I would love to have something like that to store my molds in.

Suo Gan
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
And before anyone asks....I have no friends at this site....lol

Scott, I just took care of that 'problem'.

What a nice looking cabinet, I also have a set of handles on each of my molds. Since we are friends now can I 'borrow' it for ten or twenty years? :bigsmyl2:

I bet you have it figured out, but Corotex works well for rust, at least in my semi arid location.

shooter93
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Actually it's not a flat finish but a very durable poly. The inside is prefinished plywood that is nearly indestructible that I use for kitchen cabinet interiors. We do get some humid weather here but my loading room/gun room is in the main house on the second floor right beside the master bedroom and everything is kept there although I cast in the shop. Most of my molds are either alum or brass with a number of Hensley and gibbs molds which are iron ofcourse and need the most attention. Also until I increase the size of the room many of my guns have to be stored in soft cases hanging on the wall. Maintenence hasn't been a problem for me though because atleat 3 times a year and often 4 or 5 everything gets cleaned and oiled. I never minded gun maintinence......and if you noticed.....I didn't accecpt any of the friends requests I have gotten recently....lmao.

schutzen
11-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I wish i was that talented with wood. That is an excellent job.

kywoodwrkr
11-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Beware of bare oak(white or red) around steel.
Oak is one of the most acidic woods, with its shavings being used on rose bush beds. Red cedar being at the other end of the chart.
I dearly love oak and working with it, but have resolved to never have an oak fixture in contact with any guns, molds, tools or reloading equipement.
Now, having said that, that chest is a work of art.

shooter93
11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Correct KY but oak on that cabinet oak is never touching anything metal. The die box does have oak on the inside of the lid but the sides and top of the cabinet are veneered, the drawer fronts are false fronts. The oak is all sealed extremely well with finishes I've developed over many years and there is very little out gasing and as I said I'm constantly "messing" with my guns and accessories. It wouldn't have been oak excet for the fact that it's what I had left. Oak is a very secondary wood as far as I'm concerned with a primary use as flooring. I never cared for it as cabinet or furniture wood but many of my customers like it so I build what they want. This oak was left of from a fairly large group of kitchen cabinets I just finished so I figured I'd use it up.