PDA

View Full Version : too cool

robroy
11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
8-)A friend of mine just sent me a box of books. Among them was a copy of the 15th ed of Machinery's Handbook. It's beat up and the binding is coming loose and the info is as good now as the day it was printed.
Gotta love it
It seems there is a drawer in my tool box made just for it too.

old turtle
11-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I agree that this book is a must have. I have an 11th addition of Machinery's Handbook (1942) which I picked up for $6 in a used book store 40 years ago. I have used it in my work and at home ever since. I do not see how anyone who fiddles around with mechanical devices can do without one. Enjoy.

JIMinPHX
11-14-2011, 03:09 AM
The newer versions have info on CNC machines & stuff like that, but the info on all the basics is still about the same. The old books are still fine to use.

Casting Timmy
11-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I found an old Audel's tool book, I like that one a little more than machineries handbook. It gives you the cliff notes on certain subjects where machineries handbook goes into a lot of background. I have a copy of machineries handbook at work and at home.

I think I have the 21st edition here at home, which kind of seperates a lot of the metric stuff into the back of the book. Does your book have metric in it?

TCLouis
11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
CNC, I can barely run my Plain ol SB.

MBTcustom
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Anything you need to know as a machinist is in that book. I only use it in emergencies where I realy get stumped, but I have two; one old one and a 21st edition too I think. Very useful for odd or out of date thread cutting, how to sharpen tools to certain angles how to use manual dividing heads to make gears etc. etc. If you read it through cover to cover and understand half of what goes past your eyeballs, you will probably know more than me about how a machine-shop works.

El Bango
01-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Known affectionately as "The Bible"