PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Cast?

stealthshooter
11-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Well my box of goodies arrived yesterday including my new Lee classic cast press. So far I'm very impressed but I'm still looking to get a bit more leverage. I started to tear it down so I could drill new holes and move the pivot point but.................I can't get it apart? I figured I'd ask here how to get the linkages apart before I hurt myself or the press. So..............can anybody give me some hints on how to get this bad boy tore down?

Thanks

geargnasher
11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm having a difficult time imagining how you could need any more leverage than that machine can deliver, even if you're handicapped. But if you really do need more, get a different press, like a Corbin swage press or an RCBS Ammomaster. All you're going to succeed in doing by trying to modify the Classic Cast is ruin the press by overstressing it.

Gear

coyotebait
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I own a clasic cast and I concur with gear.
coyotebait

williamwaco
11-12-2011, 01:40 PM
I own a clasic cast and I concur with gear.
coyotebait

I don't own a classic cast and I concur with gear too.

Messing with leverage will get you into trouble.
If you need more leverage, get a bigger press.

BT Sniper
11-12-2011, 03:47 PM
The lee has great potential for little investment. Not all of us can afford the $400+ intial investment for a big corbin press.

I don't think messing with the leverage will hurt anything as long as you drill the new holes in alignment which each other. In my opinion allowing the press to generate up to twice the leverage to do the same task actually helps take stress off the press. Like down shifting into a lower gear.

To take teh Lee apart you have to unscrew the top of the ram. Insert a BIG LONG flat head screw driver from teh top of the press to unscrew the top of the ram with. Then you better make sure you keep the ram at the lowest point from there as you will need to drive out the pins that hold the links. I had to drive one in to get to the other to drive it out. Supposidly you should be able to use a small pin to drive opposite side out but it is small.

Anyway with the links out you will be able to take it all apart. Don't use the facory shoulder pin for use with your new holes. Drill 1/2" holes instead and use a grade 8 bolt. Since we short the travel of the ram it rests higher in the lowest possition. This puts it to high to drive the pins out and if you where to use the original shoulder bolt you would have a heck of a time getting teh press back apart.

You also have to grind off one of the over travel stops. Just grind one off instead of both then you can still use it in the normal reloading fashion.

As I recall I redrilled my holes 1" above where they where orignally. This gave me less travel of the ram but incressed leverage a lot. I really believe the more leverage helps relieve stress on both us and the press. Take your time and think it threw before you drill any holes to make sure everythign is alligned. Ask more questions if need be. Search the forums a bit we have posted pics and info on this upgrade to the lee press.

Even though I've added extra steel to the linkage you can see the approxamate local of the new holes I drilled. Just be sure to use a bolt you can easily pull out from one side or the other. The 1/2" grade 8 bolt is a good choice for this.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/pressupgrade002.jpg

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

stealthshooter
11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks BT! Now do I need to drill new holes in both the Connecting links and the Toggle link or just the toggle link?

stealthshooter
11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I tried using the search but it keeps giving me a server error.

BT Sniper
11-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Drill holes in both links. Remeber you can drill it any size hole you like. Don't use the stock shoulder bolt. As I said I would recamend 1/2" grade 8 bolt. Be sure and check for clearence with teh end of the links and the bottom of the press when the ram will be at top position. And again proceed at your own risk :) Really can't screw it up to bad as replacment links are like $14 each but try and save some $ and do it right the first time.

Click on my name or aneats and look for previous threads. Should be agood place to start.

Good luck

BT