PDA

View Full Version : $80 Wooden Range Box

Baja_Traveler
11-11-2011, 10:32 PM
I've always wanted a nice fancy wooden range box, but thought the price was too high. This week I stumbled across a Wood Tool Chest (http://www.harborfreight.com/interests/woodworking/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html) from Harbor Freight that is surprisingly well made for it's price. I figured with a little work it could be made into a nice range box. The box measures 10 inches deep by 20 inches long by 16 inches high.

Since I took the day off, today I built it up with some poplar I had sitting in the garage, and I have to say I now have more room to store my range gear than I used to have with two ammo cans before. It can also hold two rifles and cleaning rods for cleanup maintenance after the match. I think I'll line the cradle notches with leather this weekend.

Here it is with the cradles in place:

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/139559010.jpg

Here it is all buttoned up and the cradles stowed in the back:

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/139559011.jpg

gandydancer
11-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Very nice. works for me Baja. GD

plmitch
11-12-2011, 01:18 AM
nice job done there

mazo kid
11-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm, now there is a great idea. And nicely thought out and finished!

hickoryhilldog
11-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Great Job on the range box

LUCKYDAWG13
11-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Thats real nice good job

Reload3006
11-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I truly envy you guys that can work wood like that. Ive been a tool n die maker for 30+ years I can make about any thing you want out of metal ... But give me a piece of wood ... Look out. Great Job

Ronbo256
11-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I hear ya Reload, I can make almost anything you want from metal, but all I can make from wood is sawdust!

helice
12-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I can't walk by a lumberyard without getting slivers.
Great job. And a great idea.

pls1911
12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
AHA!!! another Harbor Freight Junkie... If you're careful you can fill many of your needs from that place, but they carry plenty of junk too.
Fact is that I've looked at those boxes and thought what a nice box it was if only it was a range box... Now comes your simple and effective solution!
Thanks for sharing your solution.... even though it's gonna cost me 80 bucks....

otterdriver
12-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Baja,
Thanks for sharing that with us! Certainly a lot more affordable for the current lack of dollars in my wallet! I have been looking around for a great idea, and found one thanks to you. Also, whats the story on that cool looking leather cheek piece on your Sharps ? Chris

Digger
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow ! Okay now you started it there Baja Traveler ...... never thought to much about it and have looked at the Harbor Freight box and nice new version....
My dad was a tool and die maker for years in Southern Calif. for Rohr corp. .. from what I can remember , aircraft parts .
I inherited what little he had left of tools and a wooden tool chest , wishing I had listened to him more about the profession,
I have it out in my loading , man cave room and looking at your pics and thread peaked my curiosity , went out and looked closer .......
It is a old M. Gerstner & Sons , Dayton , Ohio .... wooden tool chest with still quite a bit of tools still inside that I utilize on occasion ...
I have always had an appreciation of it's quality and age but had no Idea ........
Typed in the name on a google search and wow ! ... the company is still in business to this day !
Talk about some history ........ it is the real thing .. right down to the felt lined drawers and the mirror just inside of the lid , .. it shows some of the scars of age here and there but is all there .
Looked on the web site and they said to look on the inside of the bottom panel for the serial # ... there it was between the stamped logo handwritten in pencil ... 476
Now I am 60 years old and my dad had that as far back as I can remember ......
The closest existing model it comes to is their journey man model from what I can tell so far ....

Will have to E-mail and see what kind of response I get about the history maybe ..
Check out there site , here is the link ..http://www.gerstnerusa.com/history.htm

Thanks for getting my interest going , maybe have some pics later ....
digger

drhall762
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Do you mind if I copy it? Hate to think one up since I like yours so well.

chambers
12-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Great idea, looks nice, simple and effective.

PatMarlin
12-18-2011, 03:02 AM
I want one! Great idea.

Digger
12-18-2011, 12:04 PM
They appear to be modeled after Gerstner &sons , will have to pick one up for field use .
Excellent idea there on the set up Baja .
Here is pics of my dads .....love the small drawers .
http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff435/leepress2/

PatMarlin
12-18-2011, 01:31 PM
I was fortunate to buy a guy's master machinist grandfathers wood- felt lined, brass machinist chest made in the late 1800's loaded with Starret tools from the 1900's to early 1930's. I mean loaded in pristine condition, and many extra tools he hand made, some I use daily.

I should take a pic of it. Son was going to send it to the Salvation Army if you can believe that!

I think his grandfather would have been happy to see me get it, cherish it, and use it.

Digger
12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes , please take a picture .... would like to see it ...
Pat , if you looked in the drawers in this one , you could tell me what every tool or block is used for I bet ... as I am still trying to guess to this day.
digger

gnoahhh
12-18-2011, 04:38 PM
A pic would be great Pat.

I make similar chests for my friends who use them for tool storage, shooting boxes, and fly tying chests. I get several times what the OP paid for his, and certainly can't begin to compete against Harbor Freight and their chests made by foreign cheap labor! A common lament these days, I suppose.

358wcf
12-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Guess what I'm getting myself for Christmas!

358WCF CHUCK

Baja_Traveler
12-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Baja,
.... Also, whats the story on that cool looking leather cheek piece on your Sharps ? Chris

The cheek saver is This (http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=157928&CAT=4017) one from BACO. It gets my head up high enough on the 600+ yard targets and still maintain contact with the stock.

Springfield
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
I have one of the Harbor Freight boxes, I use it too hold my leather working tools. It is OK, but I wouldn't expect it to hold up to too much use carrying it to the range and stuff. I also have my Dad's old machinist's chest. Looks just like a Gerstner but is actually a Union Tool Chest brand. Here is a pic of it with the front removed. I inherited it full of my Dad's old tools, most of which I don't know what they are.

Digger
12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Very nice there Springfield ... love those old chest , thanks for the pic.
digger

Typecaster
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Digger—
The tall, narrow drawer in the center was designed to hold a copy of the Machinist's Handbook.

If you have rust issues with the tools, putting a block of camphor (used to be available from the druggist) in one of the drawers will protect everything in the box and last for years.

The Gerstner website used to have a video/slideshow of the steps it takes to make one the old-fashioned way.

Richard

Digger
01-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the tip Rick... yes my dad had and they are still in there , some notes and reference material in that drawer .
E- mail response from Gerstner : don't have records of exact manuf. dates but can date it within ten years , penceld numbers on the bottom inside signify individual chest as each drawer has same number for ref. in application to that particular chest ..... for fifty dollars and some pictures , will date it for you.
ooookaaay , on that note, guess I will date it myself thank you. .....
Looked up Gerstners on E-bay ,,,,, there are a few out there ....
digger

ROGER4314
12-20-2012, 12:27 AM
I've always wanted a toolbox like that but could never justify the price of a Gerstner original. I bought two of the Harbor Freight boxes and use one as a "jewelry" box in my bedroom. I use the other for office supplies near my desk. I really love those boxes but you carried it one step further and made a useable range box. Nice project!

Flash

W.R.Buchanan
12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Very nicely thought out and executed. Certainly better than my Plastic tub.

Randy

o6Patient
01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
:goodpost:Excellent idea and execution, looks heavy, is it?
Was it hard getting the rubber wood to match the chest?:popcorn:

o6Patient
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Actually it would make a fine cleaning box for home too.
Are you going to glue some felt in the U groves?..be pretty
nice.