PDA

View Full Version : Ice, snow and a day at the range (indoors).

Dale53
02-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Road conditions around here are not good. We had a serious ice storm over a foundation of snow, then snow on top of the ice. This occured Monday night thru Tuesday and I left the house for the first time today.

Our local club is nearby, but the parking area is ice and snow covered. It is gravel and not very easy to clear. A friend picked me up in his 4X4 and we drove out to the range. We have a fifty foot indoor range with nine separated firing positions. We have turning targets, also. Not fancy, but a dandy place to blow off cabin fever!

I had my 617 (ten shot .22 rimfire) with an Ultra Dot and my 16-4 (.32 H&R Mag with 2 power scope). It was truly fun to get out and shoot some in a pleasant, warm, well lighted, environment. I could only talk my buddy into shooting one "money" target. We bet BIG money (25 cents per target) so I can understand why he didn't want to risk his ENTIRE livelihood :-D :-D by shooting for more than one target. Wel, I sent him home with his tin cup in his hand:-D :-D :-D

It was great fun and good to get out.

How are the rest of you making out during this weather (I know that other parts of the country had it MUCH worse than we did). However, Cincinnati had 122,000 households without power for several days. That can get SERIOUS at below zero temps...

Dale53

Scrounger
02-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Road conditions around here are not good. We had a serious ice storm over a foundation of snow, then snow on top of the ice. This occured Monday night thru Tuesday and I left the house for the first time today.

Our local club is nearby, but the parking area is ice and snow covered. It is gravel and not very easy to clear. A friend picked me up in his 4X4 and we drove out to the range. We have a fifty foot indoor range with nine separated firing positions. We have turning targets, also. Not fancy, but a dandy place to blow off cabin fever!

I had my 617 (ten shot .22 rimfire) with an Ultra Dot and my 16-4 (.32 H&R Mag with 2 power scope). It was truly fun to get out and shoot some in a pleasant, warm, well lighted, environment. I could only talk my buddy into shooting one "money" target. We bet BIG money (25 cents per target) so I can understand why he didn't want to risk his ENTIRE livelihood :-D :-D by shooting for more than one target. Wel, I sent him home with his tin cup in his hand:-D :-D :-D

It was great fun and good to get out.

How are the rest of you making out during this weather (I know that other parts of the country had it MUCH worse than we did). However, Cincinnati had 122,000 households without power for several days. That can get SERIOUS at below zero temps...

Dale53

It's 80 degrees here in sunny (but windy) Nevada, had to turn the ceiling fans on. Weather has been steadily warming for the last three weeks. I guess winter (all two months of it) is over, but it was the coldest winter I have lived through since I left Indiana 50 years ago. I shudder to think what summer will be like. As long as it don't go over 110 degrees, I won't complain.

mtngunr
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
It was 8-10mph/25mph gusts, sunny, clear, 25L/45H here today, so I sat outside for about 4.5hrs putting lots of teeny bullets through my S&W 1 7/8ths" 34-1 6-shooter, 25yds to 50yds....too windy for fine accuracy, a few 1.5"/25yd/6-shot groups, most went 2.0-2.5"/25yds/12-shot groups, a few flincher/windy 4" groups, and lots of fun chasing stuff off my 50yd backstop.....that 34 Kit Gun is probably one of my favorites of all time....minute-of-bunny at 50yds, small enough for a pocket so it's handy when Mr. Bunny does show up, great for take-to-the-fields, the Kit Gun in one pocket, a couple of boxes of shells in the other....

EDK
02-17-2007, 06:40 AM
You got our crummy weather from St. Louis. I had spent afternoons prior to Sunday with a couple of Lyman moulds and a 2 cavity LBT, sitting on the front porch, dipper in hand. That Veral Smith is a craftsman--the mold is a jewel--I don't have gas checks yet to run the bullets through the star machine. First time for 300 grainers in a .44 Super Black Hawk or a Marlin Cowboy.

This week I got 800 .44 and 2000 .38 special once fired off ebay to work on after I get done with bullets. How many .44 or 357 boolits can you put in a 3 pound coffee can? Is that like "angels dancing on the head of a pin?" Can you say "it's Dillon 550 time!"

The first round of snow is over--nothing much and still around 25. More around noon, but close to 50 on Monday. Spring is on the way and I can make once fired into twice fired and more brass.

:drinks:

44man
02-17-2007, 09:34 AM
I am worried about the deer and turkeys here. Everything looks like a frozen lake. Deer can slip and split their pelvic bone. Turkeys can't scratch, it is hard as stone. The only animal that is breaking the surface is my Belgian draft horse. Been this way over a week. I had to make the wife a pair of strap on ice cleats for her boots.

mainiac
02-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Been very cold here, although today it got up to mid 20,s HEAT WAVE! We have to much snow now,and i cant get to where i like to shoot, so i have resorted to shooting .22 cb shorts off the back deck! Since i bought my 39 marlin, i dont want to shoot anything else! Never had a gun shoot so well off hand,as this thing does! I can easily do 10 shot groups offhand @ 50 yards that are between 2-2.5 inches with open sights. This gun fits me so well,that im spoiled now....

monadnock#5
02-18-2007, 12:34 AM
We have plenty of snow in the Souwest of the state, but that has only come in the last 30 days. I honestly don't remember having a kinder winter season in my whole life. It's cold, but we have plenty of wood still, since we didn't start a fire until the Christmas Season. The shootings been great, no snow cancellations, and the guys at the club plow everything in sight.

Ken