PDA

View Full Version : Fireforming 308

DeanWinchester
11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Usually I fire form cases by loading a cheap FMJ over a starting charge. For various reasons I don't want to do this. I know there are a multitude of methods used. Any suggestions for fire forming 308 cases in an Ishapore rifle using Bullseye? I have a pound of it I don't plan on using. I thought about lathe turning some wooden plugs, but do I need to use a filler? AND what kind of charge weight would be sufficient to do the job?

Thanks.

Mk42gunner
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Dean,

I have never had good luck fireforming without a projectile in anything. I have tried W231, Red Dot, Geen Dot and probably a few others; but I don't think I ever used Bullseye. It could have been because I didn't have enough powder under the cream of wheat filler, but like I said I have always had better luck with a bullet seated to jam in the lands. Great way to get rid of those partial boxes, too.

If your Ishapore is like mine, I am not sure you could even reach the lands with a 150~gr FMJ. I can touch them with a Lee 312-185, although the col is about 1/4" longer than in my Parker Hale barreled Mauser.

Robert

williamwaco
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I use six grains bullseye under a cast bullet for fire forming most any normal size rifle case.

caseyboy
11-11-2011, 09:49 PM
The way I see it, if you are going to use a primer and powder, you might as well push a boolit. 6-7 grains of a fast shotgun type powder and a 150 to 180 grain 30 cal. boolit can be lots of fun.

DeanWinchester
11-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone.

nanuk
11-12-2011, 08:20 AM
I have a book that explains about COW to fireform, and why

but you have to have a false shoulder to hold the case back, or it will not work well.

62chevy
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Cool this is what I've been looking for, fireforming .308 cases. So it look like 6 grains of Bullseye or 10 grains of Unique will get the job done with a 180 grain lead boolit. Would COW or Dacron help the cause?

nanuk
03-27-2014, 02:11 PM
what I read, was to fill the case with Bullseye powder, and weigh it. then take X percent and that is your starting point...

prime, use that starting powder load and top up with COW, and shoot straight up.

works best with a false shoulder so you have minimum headspace

62chevy
03-27-2014, 04:56 PM
what I read, was to fill the case with Bullseye powder, and weigh it. then take X percent and that is your starting point...

prime, use that starting powder load and top up with COW, and shoot straight up.

works best with a false shoulder so you have minimum headspace

The problem I see with that is what is "X"? I know 12.5 grains of Unique is safe as per Lyman's 49 edition. Just not sure about Bullseye so may stay with Unique or a starting charge of IMR 4064.