PDA

View Full Version : 22 rimfire brass cleaning

khamill2000
11-11-2011, 06:58 AM
I clean my rimfire brass in stainless media. Normally I let 1 batch run all night and change it out the next day. Due to my work schedule, the last several batches have gone several days. Anyway, when I opened the tumbler, the brass all looked like nickel brass. Bright and shiny with a silver color. After rinsing and putting it on a towel to dry, it tarnishes or darkens pretty quick. Anybody else run into this? Any reason why I shouldn't use them? They kind of look cool.

max range
11-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I use the stainless pins to tumble my brass too. I have noticed the same thing now and then. Turning the brass silver color I think, has to do with the PH of the water solution (amount of dish washing soap and quantity of Lemon Brite, plus the duration of tumbling. Some do tarnish quickly but that is because there is no oil or wax coating at all on the brass. I kind of like it that way. I would not hesitate to use them, I think they will be fine.

algunjunkie
11-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Rinse in cold water and use a fan to dry the brass.

wonderwolf
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Rinse them in hot water to get all the priming compound out before you derim, after you have turned them into bullets just rinse once more with some ajax to degrease and them use a liquid brass cleaner like iosso.

This is what I do, The only shortfall I have is the lead will oxidize a little on the open top, but it turns it almost solid black which kinda looks cool. It's only a cosmetic thing, It has been hard for me to find a way that allows me to do everything in bulk but its a process for sure.

khamill2000
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Rinse in cold water and use a fan to dry the brass.

I do. Just out of curiosity, I ran some of the silver ones through again. They all turned back to brass. :?

Utah Shooter
11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
I have an issue with that happening when I anneal them. A rinse in lemi-shine for 5 minutes turns them back to normal color.