PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Rio Grande 30/30

lead Foot
11-11-2011, 03:32 AM
I did a search and come up empty. Any one have one. Pro's and con's. They sell for $605. (stainless) here in Australia. Sounds like a good cast gun. I need a replacment for my Savage 170 which is becoming unruly.
Lead foot;

Rayc384
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
I have one. I haven`t been to the range yet with it. I am going to try the Lee 150 and 170 grain bullets. The 170`s will not feed through the gate, so I have high hopes for the 150`s.

It is basically a copy of a Marlin 336. Mine is pretty smooth for a new rifle. While I had it apart I checked the lever and took care of the sharp edge that can cause the Marlin jam.

I will post with my results after shooting it.

Boondocker
11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
I am looking forward to a report also, as I like the full length magazine on these. I am still undecided on one of these or a Marlin with a mag change in 45/70. I have a Marlin 30 as in 30/30 that I like alot tho.:cbpour:

lead Foot
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I have one. I haven`t been to the range yet with it. I am going to try the Lee 150 and 170 grain bullets. The 170`s will not feed through the gate, so I have high hopes for the 150`s.

It is basically a copy of a Marlin 336. Mine is pretty smooth for a new rifle. While I had it apart I checked the lever and took care of the sharp edge that can cause the Marlin jam.

I will post with my results after shooting it.

Thanks rayc. Shame about the 170 not loading. Iv'e got the 180 RCBS. Love to hear the results thought.
lead foot;

cdet69
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I know the Mossberg 30-30 lever action sucks. Definitly stay away from it even thogh it has a decent price tag. The safety is a hand cutter because of it's placement and finish.

lead Foot
11-21-2011, 06:05 AM
I just bought one. They look to be well made ~ stainless so hard wearing, will make a good truck gun. I was worried about what Rayc said about the 170gr boolit not loading. I asked the guy about it and he said they did have trouble with the load plate screw not being tighted corectly. He said you losen the screw, ajust the load plate ~ then tighten.
Lead foot;

robertbank
11-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Any chance of a photo? I haven't seen these in Canada yet.

Take care

Bob

lead Foot
11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
Sorry robertbank. This is Australia, we gotta get a permit. It takes forever. There system is in overload and a disgrace. Can take three weeks or three months. I bought the gun but can't pick it up till I get the permit.I here Canada had a similer mess too. The pollie's make these stupid laws and can't make them work.
Sorry for the vent but I feel better now.
Lead foot;

robertbank
11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Sorry robertbank. This is Australia, we gotta get a permit. It takes forever. There system is in overload and a disgrace. Can take three weeks or three months. I bought the gun but can't pick it up till I get the permit.I here Canada had a similer mess too. The pollie's make these stupid laws and can't make them work.
Sorry for the vent but I feel better now.
Lead foot;

Well over here it isn't quite that bad. Due to our proximity to the US the anti-gun crowd were held back somewhat in their enthusiasm to pass or administer laws stupidly. I must admit though we have two Provinces, Ontario and Quebec, that relish in administrative paper work. Our gun laws are just stupid and there is no other word for it but not near what you folks have to endure. Our Long Gun Registry is about to be rescinded by our Conservative Government which will help end some of the nonsense.

Take Care

Bob

lead Foot
11-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Here's a link for more info. Sounds like they are going to make them with a synthetic stock.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/05/03/longgun_reviews_rossi_rio_grande_a_rifle_to_bank_o n_050311/

Ranch Dog
11-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I bought the 45-70, a blued rifle, and will pick it up early next week. My dealer had a 410 come in and it was a pretty good looking rifle. I'm a Marlin guy and had been thinking about adding a straight 1895 to compliment my "G" and "MR" (450 Marlin) but when Rossi announced the RF4570 I thought I would stick it out and give it a try. Took a year for it to come out.

pricedo
12-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Any chance of a photo? I haven't seen these in Canada yet.

Take care

Bob

Found some Rossi Rio Grandes in .30-30 WCF online for sale at Wanstalls in British Columbia, Canada.

A handful of change shy of $520.

pricedo
12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Well over here it isn't quite that bad. Due to our proximity to the US the anti-gun crowd were held back somewhat in their enthusiasm to pass or administer laws stupidly. I must admit though we have two Provinces, Ontario and Quebec, that relish in administrative paper work. Our gun laws are just stupid and there is no other word for it but not near what you folks have to endure. Our Long Gun Registry is about to be rescinded by our Conservative Government which will help end some of the nonsense.

Take Care

Bob

Except for Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair who I hear is a dyed-in-the-wool Second Amendment guy.

He even looks a bit like "The Duke". ;)

robertbank
12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Pricedo thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at one next time I am in Vancouver. Good to see you over here in the Cast Boolit form. Great place for information. Enjoy your stay.

Take Care

Bob aka Canuck44 on gunnutz

fecmech
12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Here's a thread over on Leverguns. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36065

robertbank
12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.! By March one of those rifles will be sitting on my lap. I have been very happy with my two Rossis I have and it looks like they are going to get a stable mate. I just have to decide 45-70 or 30-30.

Take Care

Bob

fecmech
12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.
No thanks required, I'm always happy to help my fellow shooters!:kidding:

pricedo
12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.! By March one of those rifles will be sitting on my lap. I have been very happy with my two Rossis I have and it looks like they are going to get a stable mate. I just have to decide 45-70 or 30-30.

Take Care

Bob

I don't think the Rio Grandes at Wanstalls will be hanging around there long @ $519.99.

They have a fairly decent vendor website.

Unfortunately as far as I know only the .30-30 Win is available.

The pre-safety Rossi Puma 92s that were at Frontier Firearms last year disappeared quick & now you can't find a Rossi 92 Canuckside anywhere.

The Rossi levers (92 or RG) are even getting scarce stateside.

pricedo
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
I did a search and come up empty. Any one have one. Pro's and con's. They sell for $605. (stainless) here in Australia. Sounds like a good cast gun. I need a replacment for my Savage 170 which is becoming unruly.
Lead foot;

It strikes me funny that Rossi, a Brazilian company can manufacture credible 336 lever guns and Remington can't considering the number of snags Remington is having getting the new Marlin plant going & the number of substandard 336s coming out of said factory. :shock:

robertbank
12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't think the Rio Grandes at Wanstalls will be hanging around there long @ $519.99.

They have a fairly decent vendor website.

Unfortunately as far as I know only the .30-30 Win is available.

The pre-safety Rossi Puma 92s that were at Frontier Firearms last year disappeared quick & now you can't find a Rossi 92 Canuckside anywhere.

The Rossi levers (92 or RG) are even getting scarce stateside.

Freedom Ventures is the importer up here. I'll give Sean a ring and see if there are more coming in. The gun is great value for the money. I just bought a M&P PRO for IDPA so funds ( Funds = Wife) won't allow another purchase until spring. I plan on selling my 30-30 Win anyways and I'll need another 30-30.:-D

Take Care

Bob

pricedo
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Freedom Ventures is the importer up here. I'll give Sean a ring and see if there are more coming in. The gun is great value for the money. I just bought a M&P PRO for IDPA so funds ( Funds = Wife) won't allow another purchase until spring. I plan on selling my 30-30 Win anyways and I'll need another 30-30.:-D

Take Care

Bob

A "real" New Haven built Winchester 94 especially a "pre-64" 94 in decent shape will sell quick.

If it's one of the $1000+ Miroku made "Japchesters" with the tang safety & rebounding hammer you might have a hard time getting anywhere near what you paid for it new on the resale.

Not many want to or can afford to pay over a grand for a "gussied up" lever .30-30 WCF that cost less than $100 when we started hunting.

quilbilly
12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I take issue with the Mossberg 30/30 "sucking". I have put hundreds of rounds through mine without a miss-step and it loves my CB's (Lee 160 gr RN-GC). It hits pill bottle caps at 100 yards with regularity. I bought it as an inexpensive "truck rifle" with low expectations. Maybe it is just mine that is a gem but I got a lot more than I paid for.

pricedo
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I take issue with the Mossberg 30/30 "sucking". I have put hundreds of rounds through mine without a miss-step and it loves my CB's (Lee 160 gr RN-GC). It hits pill bottle caps at 100 yards with regularity. I bought it as an inexpensive "truck rifle" with low expectations. Maybe it is just mine that is a gem but I got a lot more than I paid for.

I don't know about the Mossberg 464 but I can vividly recall this summer one chap at the local gun club saying that the Rossi Puma rifles were nothing but junk and anybody who bought one was taking their lives in their hands.

I asked the guy with view to helping him out if I could because I'd had good performances from all my Rossi rifles what was specifically irksome about his Rossi rifle.

He replied that he didn't own one.

I then asked what he found problematic about the Rossi rifles that he fired that would provoke such a rant.

He cleared his throat and said, "Well I never shot one but people shouldn't be buyin them foreign guns" and then shifted the conversation onto another subject.

Don't bother yourself about it.:killingpc

Write it off to human nature. It makes them feel good.

When you've been hanging around gun forums as long as I have it gets to be "same ole, same ole" and you just brush it off.

Four Fingers of Death
12-23-2011, 07:50 AM
They were on the shelves at the local gunshop for $AU600 a year or so ago and a bit cheaper elsewhere. They look like a good rifle, but a bit 'gawkier' than a Marlin336. I was on the verge of buying one when an older 336 hit the shelves for $450. That is cheap for a Marlin in Australia. It had slight external dings and scratches to the wood work and the blueing on one side of the action was rubbed through from saddle scabbard wear. The rifle was in top condition otherwise. I had just bought two other rifles and a swag of ammo and offered $350 for it. A bit of haggling followed and it walked out the door and into my safe for $400. The fact that it has saddle scabbard wear, etc makes it more interesting to me! Sooooooooooo I didn't get to try the Rossi.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 06:08 PM
They were on the shelves at the local gunshop for $AU600 a year or so ago and a bit cheaper elsewhere. They look like a good rifle, but a bit 'gawkier' than a Marlin336. I was on the verge of buying one when an older 336 hit the shelves for $450. That is cheap for a Marlin in Australia. It had slight external dings and scratches to the wood work and the blueing on one side of the action was rubbed through from saddle scabbard wear. The rifle was in top condition otherwise. I had just bought two other rifles and a swag of ammo and offered $350 for it. A bit of haggling followed and it walked out the door and into my safe for $400. The fact that it has saddle scabbard wear, etc makes it more interesting to me! Sooooooooooo I didn't get to try the Rossi.

The old pre-Remington Fiasco JM Marlin 336 leverguns are for the most part a "proven" model of gun.

The Rossi Rio Grande hasn't been around long enough to have a track record.

Some problems unfortunately emerge over the long term.

For $200 cheaper I would have done exactly the same thing & bought the used JM Marlin 336 as long as it was an original JM Marlin & NOT one of the new Remlins.

pricedo
12-23-2011, 09:27 PM

I'm a bit "gawkier" than the average shooter so the gun will suit me just fine. ;)

lead Foot
01-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Finally got my stainless 30/30 Rio Grande. Looks and feels great. I had some left over rounds from my Savage 30/30. I chambered and click! oh no plus other words. cocked the hammer and away it went. Then it wound'nt extract. I then tested for accuracy, at lest I had better sucess there. Using the RCBS 180gr @ 2000fps I got about a 1" group (100 yards). I had to test with factory ammo. That hurt to buy it but I had to start there first. I bought FED power shock. The gun worked flawless. The results are so far. The hammer strike is to lite and the extractor is to weak. The Savage had a large chamber and Rossi a tight one. I was using win WRL primers. I'll try CCI next and try and make the hammer fall harder. My sizing die might be a little large two. Might take a bit of work but I hope two get there. Oh by the way the factory ammo shot a 3" group.
Lead foot;

Four Fingers of Death
01-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Finally got my stainless 30/30 Rio Grande. Looks and feels great. I had some left over rounds from my Savage 30/30. I chambered and click! oh no plus other words. cocked the hammer and away it went. Then it wound'nt extract. I then tested for accuracy, at lest I had better sucess there. Using the RCBS 180gr @ 2000fps I got about a 1" group (100 yards). I had to test with factory ammo. That hurt to buy it but I had to start there first. I bought FED power shock. The gun worked flawless. The results are so far. The hammer strike is to lite and the extractor is to weak. The Savage had a large chamber and Rossi a tight one. I was using win WRL primers. I'll try CCI next and try and make the hammer fall harder. My sizing die might be a little large two. Might take a bit of work but I hope two get there. Oh by the way the factory ammo shot a 3" group.
Lead foot;

The RCBS 180Gn'r and one inch groups. That looks like your 'go to' load.

lead Foot
01-14-2012, 04:00 PM
The RCBS 180Gn'r and one inch groups. That looks like your 'go to' load.
That was done out of a ute onto a tree. I would be happy with twice that group. Anyway I had some crud in my die and it stoped the case from traveling to the end. So that has fixed the extraction broblem.I don't know what to do about the lite strike on the primer though.
Lead foot;

jblee10
01-14-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't know about the Rossi Rio Grande, but I own two Rossi Pumas. I like them both. I don't agree with someone who says they are junk. Both of my Puma 92's required less work than my Marlin 444 that I bought 7-8 years ago. My Marlin needed work on the extractor. They all shoot good though!!! And I would buy any of them again. The more I shoot my Puma's the slicker they get.

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2012, 02:13 AM
I don't know about the Rossi Rio Grande, but I own two Rossi Pumas. I like them both. I don't agree with someone who says they are junk. Both of my Puma 92's required less work than my Marlin 444 that I bought 7-8 years ago. My Marlin needed work on the extractor. They all shoot good though!!! And I would buy any of them again. The more I shoot my Puma's the slicker they get.

These Rossis are the Ruger Super Blackhawks and Redhawks of lever rifles. Bombproof. No other lever rifles around chambered in 454Casull! As Teddy Roosvelt used to say 'hell for stout!'

lead Foot
01-15-2012, 04:20 PM
The only thing I can see wrong with the Rio Grande is the hammer strike is not hard enough. I will have to return the gun to be fixed. Looks like tool marks on the bolt face and firing pin. The bore is very good ~ cleans very easy, no leading.
Cheers Lead foot;