PDA

View Full Version : Powder flask in a pinch

MBTcustom
11-11-2011, 01:51 AM
I just got my first side lock two weeks ago, and rifle season opens tomorrow. I had not yet gotten a powder flask cause Im too cheap. I finaly decided to spring for it but good 'ol wal-mart was out of just about everything. Well, I started racking my brain trying to think of some container that would do the same job in about the same size.
So there I was wandering through the isles and then it hit me: "what about a flask of chalk for a snap line!?!" I went right over to the tool section and there in all its resplendent glory was a Stanley chalk flask. I unscrewed the top and found that it has a rubber seal in the lid and a nice pop off cap that is attached to the lid so you cant lose it. Total cost? less than two bucks. And it holds about 3/4lb. of holy black.
Perfect!
Hope this helps some other poor unfortunate that is looking for last minute necessities.

NickSS
11-11-2011, 06:36 AM
My first flask was a fleet enema bottle that I got from my Mom who used it on one of my younger siblings. I held about 1/3 pound of powder and had a nice pour spout. That and a 45-70 shell was all I needed to load my Zouave rifle with mini balls.

Good Cheer
11-11-2011, 06:46 AM
LOL. My favorite is a flat, pocket sized vanilla extract bottle. Don't need stuff hanging around my neck getting caught up in the thickets.

waksupi
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
A small pill bottle will carry plenty for a couple reloads. No need to carry a bunch of extra stuff. I use a small powder horn I made that carrys enough for about four charges.

mooman76
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
My first flask was a chalk bottle also til I could afford a better one.

11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Plastic yellow mustard bottle with a spot & snap cover.

Janoosh
11-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I went to the grocery store and bought one of those red plastic Ketchup bottles. Put the cap in the freezer for a night, drilled it to size, and still use it for my range flask. I did graduate to the "fancy" ones for hunting. They just look "right".

Bullet Caster
11-13-2011, 11:56 PM
My first powder flask was the can of powder it came in. As a civil war reenactor we would burn quite a lot of powder so I had plenty of flasks around. Each held exactly 1 lb of the black gold. BC