PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC

Swamprat1052
02-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I have been playing with this ever since I found this site and have got lots of good info, both on the forums and in pm's and emails. I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC, I used a micrometer and the cylinders mike out at about .451 so I have been shooting .452 bullets. From what I have been told thats what most Rugers measure. I find all kinds of good molds in .454, I have a Lyman 45 - 255 SWC that I ordered on ebay by mistake. I also ordered a slugging kit from LBT and am waiting for it. My question is if it does measure .451 can I size the .454 down to
.452 on my Star Sizer. I read the thread Slick Pilot started about the .311 sizer and wonder if I can do the same with this one. Or should I just shoot the .454 through it if it will chamber. Or forget it and stick with the .452 molds. I really like the 270 gr. PB bullet that Leadhead sells, I think its an LBT mold, I may have to order one from them. But the RCBS 270 gr. in .454 looks good if I can use it.

Thanks,
Swamprat

Bass Ackward
02-16-2007, 02:01 PM
1. My question is if it does measure .451 can I size the .454 down to .452 on my Star Sizer. 2. Or should I just shoot the .454 through it if it will chamber.

1. Yea. That's how the game is supposed to be played.

2. You just need to try it. Sometimes slower powders like RL7 work great in 45 Colt, but you need a larger than throat bullet to give it time to let the pressure build up some. Most accurate loads I ever shot in my Colt were RL7.

I ALWAYS get the bigger mold. Then you are no hostage to one mix. If the day comes where you can't get every mix in quantity, you may have to learn to use what you have. A .454 mold will still throw .452 with 20-1 or pure lead. A .452 mold won't. You can always size down ........

45 2.1
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
You may have a cylinder that measures 0.451" on the throats, but what does the barrel slug out at? Usually Ruger barrels run 0.451" to a little larger.

hpdrifter
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Swamper, what Bass Ackward said.

I had one of those also. My chamber throats measured .4513~5. I forget what my barrel measured exactly. I think it was just a couple ten thousands from .452. I always got leading on the right side of the barrel from the forcing cone forward and a few spots everywhere else. I was shooting .452 boolits. I got the throats opened to .4525 and went to .454 boolits. No more leading and accuracy improved dramatically.

I'd strongly suggest you open the throats yourself or spend $40 and get er done.

Parson
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
First things first. Slug the barrel ahead of the barrel threads, you want the cylinder throats over that. If it is typical Ruger you will need to ream out the thoats. Again if it is typical Ruger the barrel is going to be tighter where it threads into the frame, if this is so you fire lap the barrel till you open that tight spot equal to the rest of the barrel. Size your bullets about .001 over groove diameter and the cylinder throats .001 or .002 over that.

MT Gianni
02-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Your cylinder makes a great bullet sizer. If it does turn out slightly larger than the bbl you can shoot those bullets as cast without sizing down. Gianni.