PDA

View Full Version : Increasing the size of a RCBS Uniflow powder reservoir

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Been looking on the web for a replacement powder reservoir to increase the powder capacity of the RCBS Uniflow when reloading 30.06 on a progressive press and have been unable to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of any replacement powder reservoirs that allow about double what the standard powder reservoir holds?

I currently own two of these and if I can increase their capacity, I won't have to sell them off and buy a Hornady LnL powder measure.

Thank you for your help,

Dave

3006guns
11-10-2011, 10:41 AM
About the only way to go is UP. Measure the outside diameter of the existing reservior and look for a piece of acyrlic tubing on Ebay with a 1/8" wall thickness. I'm not sure how the existing reservoir is anchored in the measure, but if nothing else you could break it out of there and secure the new one with a bead of silicone. Another thought would be to get a taller piece that will slide over the existing one.

An example (too big I'm sure) http://www.ebay.com/itm/901-ACRYLIC-TUBING-1-1-2-OD-X-1-4-WALL-CLEAR-24-/200438311961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eab0dec19

I actually did this with an old Redding and it worked quite well.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
The current reservoir is a snug/tight slip fit inside the measure. The inner diameter of the measure is two inches. and the wall thickness of the current reservoir is 1/8th inch.

Mike W1
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Just a thought, but if you'd put a funnel in the top it would not only increase the powder capacity it also acts to keep a constant pressure on the powder below. Sort of a baffle type thing.

Sonnypie
11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Dave,
I'm a simple man with simple ideas.

A 3 POUND reservoir extension...

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny's/PB100373.JPG

Now you have to admit, you done left the door wide open for this shenanigan... [smilie=l:

Ickisrulz
11-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Dave,
I'm a simple man with simple ideas.

A 3 POUND reservoir extension...

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny's/PB100373.JPG

Now you have to admit, you done left the door wide open for this shenanigan... [smilie=l:

For some reason that made me giggle.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2011, 12:53 AM
That just ain't quite right.

cheese1566
11-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I wonder if the hopper from a Quick Change High Capacity would work? The bodies look similar and the hoppers hold 2 pounds.
I bet a call to RCBS would answer that and maybe even score a couple free to convert yours if you tell them why...

I have an email buddy on the customer service/tech team with RCBS. They are always looking for ideas to improve their stuff.

cheese1566
11-11-2011, 01:09 AM
There are also bottle adapters at Sinclair's.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=33258/Product/RCBS-Bottle-Adaptor

They are adapters to allow you to use their threaded powder bottles or some certain types of Hodgon and Accurate powder containers.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2011, 08:16 AM
The problem with the RCBS high capacity reservoir and the bottles is they are fat and wide vs. tall. This causes them to take up more real estate. Mix that with case feeders, bullet feeders, etc and sometimes real estate becomes an issue. A taller reservoir and not fatter one avoids that. I'm looking for something with the capacity of say, the Dillon or Hornady measures.

Sonnypie
11-11-2011, 11:00 AM
That just ain't quite right.

I agree.

But I bet you raised an eyebrow or both... :lol:
:kidding:

Le Loup Solitaire
11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Lots of good ideas would work here, but a point to keep in mind is that a column of powder has weight and this is going to effect the amount that is thrown by the measure. To control that I would suggest building/buying a baffle that sits on the bottom of the reservoir. If possible use a material that is transparent (if building it) and not sensitive to any darkening by powder action. LLS

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-11-2011, 03:05 PM
I agree.

But I bet you raised an eyebrow or both... :lol:
:kidding:

Yes, yes I did.
:smile:

Hardcast416taylor
11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I solved that problem by getting a Sinclair removeable powder holder and the required adaptor to make it work on the uniflow measure. I have always been glad I went in this direction. The removeable hopper holds in excess of a 1 lb. can of powder. The hopper can come with or without an add powder hole in the top with a plug and a screw on top for the other end.Robert

r6487
11-12-2011, 06:00 PM
why can't you just take a 2" sch 40 pvc tube, cut to desired extension length and bore out 1/8" inside to slip fit over existing hopper top and silcone on?

rtracy2001
11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
I do believe the RCBS reservoir is Polycarbonate tubing, though it may have an antistatic coating.

http://polycarbonate-tubing.com/polycarbonate-tubes.htm

PN: KM-2174 should get you what you need (If the ID of the cast portion is truly 2").

OD: 2.000
ID: 1.875
Wall: 0.063
Price/ft: $7.37

Measure the inside of the cast portion and order the corresponding OD you need. At about $15 + S&H a 2 foot reservoir should hold a bunch of powder. You can also measure the ID of your original reservoir and simply make an extension, but I think replacing the whole reservoir might look cleaner.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-13-2011, 08:36 AM
rtracy,

That looks exactly like what I need. I went to order, they had a minimum of 8 foot to order, with a price of $58.00.[smilie=b:

But at this point, I know it's available and I can search for it online in smaller quantities.

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to ask RCBS what the diameter of their "fat" reservoirs are to see if they aren't too thick as well as exploring the polybicarbonate tubing option.

Dave

rtracy2001
11-13-2011, 10:38 AM
rtracy,

That looks exactly like what I need. I went to order, they had a minimum of 8 foot to order, with a price of $58.00.[smilie=b:

Well if you end up going that route let us know. I am sure you could track down 3 other guys to split costs with. I may even be interested myself (If I can get my bench unburried that is)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I've found another link to an outfit that sells short sections of the tubing, so I think I'm okay at this point, but thank you for the offer.

Best Regards,

Dave

hiram1
11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
did it work out .and where did you find it i need to get some

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Here ya go:

http://www.amazon.com/Polycarbonate-Tubing-Wall-Clear-Color/dp/B000OMHIHM/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

hiram1
11-13-2011, 09:51 PM
THANKS my friend

EDG
06-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Polycarbonate is very tough mechanically but not so tough chemically. Double base powders will probably destroy polycarbonate. I would look for a piece of PVC to graft on top of the stock item. If not pipe then a coupling and piece of pipe.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Polycarbonate is very tough mechanically but not so tough chemically. Double base powders will probably destroy polycarbonate. I would look for a piece of PVC to graft on top of the stock item. If not pipe then a coupling and piece of pipe.

You do realize you responded to a three year old thread?

dbosman
06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
We keep telling new people to read the stickies. ;)
Maybe we need to amend that just a bit.

You do realize you responded to a three year old thread?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
06-03-2014, 09:39 AM
We keep telling new people to read the stickies. ;)
Maybe we need to amend that just a bit.

This is a stickie? It can't be, the information contained in here is dated and not ideal. I know, I'm the original poster. :/

shooterg
10-12-2014, 07:33 PM
So it's old. Did it work ?

EDG
10-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Polycarbonate has poor chemical resistance. Double base powders will destroy it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-13-2014, 07:50 AM
It did not work.

troyboy
10-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Glue a replacement reservoir from RCBS on the original.That will double the capacity.

Catshooter
10-14-2014, 01:31 AM
So Dave, were you ever able to come up with a solution? Enquiring minds, you know.

Cat

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-14-2014, 08:02 AM
So Dave, were you ever able to come up with a solution? Enquiring minds, you know.

Cat

Cat,

Never did for the RCBS Uniflow. Ended up picking up a couple of used Hornady LnL's, which are now more widely available than they were a decade ago. I still have two Uniflows, but do not use them for the higher volume. Instead, I use the Hornady LnL's for highest volume extruded rifle powders, the Dillons for high volume pistol powders, the RCBS Uniflows for lower volume rifle powders and the Lee Pro Auto Disk for lower volume pistol.

I have a powder measured mounted on most of my die plates for my Pro 2000. I wish the one station that is fixed on the Pro 2000 would accept a Hornady LnL bushing adapter or be modified to accept one, but there's not enough material available to do the conversion. If it could, I would put LnL bushings on all my powder measures and that position is where they would reside. Make storage a great deal more convenient without the awkward weight of the powder measure on top of the die plate.

Catshooter
10-15-2014, 03:17 AM
Thanks Dave. I use the Uniflow exclusively and was hoping you had something. *sigh* :)

Cat

brtelec
10-15-2014, 04:16 AM
Was the Sinclair adapter not a viable solution? Was it too big in diameter? I have been using one on my Uniflow for years and I love having the 1 lb. capacity.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Was the Sinclair adapter not a viable solution? Was it too big in diameter? I have been using one on my Uniflow for years and I love having the 1 lb. capacity.

Never got around to buying one, so I don't know. Perhaps someone else can answer that or if you have one with one on it and a source, please post a pic and a link. I have two Uniflows and would still like to increase their capacity.

Does anyone know the width and height of the round 500ML (~1 pound) Sinclair bottle with the adapter ring added? I'm trying to figure out if it would fit on a progressive press or if it takes up too much territory.

rpludwig
10-15-2014, 01:48 PM
late to this party, but found:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/clear_acrylic_tubes/141

1 -2" x 6' clear acrylic, 1/8" wall thickness cut in 3' lengths = $24

won't take up any extra territory on a progressive, might be problematic if you have a tall bench & low ceiling!

seems it would work, so what's the capacity of a 2" x 36" hopper?

(fwiw, I replaced the hopper on my uniflow a few years ago, as I recall it was friction fit, no glue, tight, just knocked it off and pressed on the replacement)

brtelec
10-16-2014, 04:31 AM
I do not use the sinclair bottles, I just screw the one lb. factory powder canister right on to the adapter.