PDA

View Full Version : Those top break pistols like H&R and Iver Johnson

jh45gun
11-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Any one got them here and shoot them? Calibers like 38 and 32 S&W ? Got any pics to post? I always wanted to get one like a junker at a gun show as a fixer upper most I have seen had busted springs ect. I know some are black powder only and others smokeless. I passed on a nice example a couple of years ago I think the guy wanted 40 bucks and it needed work but was in good shape otherwise. He would not come down so I walked. I now wish I would have bought it.

rmcc
11-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Have 2, both H&R's. One a solid frame "American" the other top break, both 38 S&W. My friend shoots an Iver hammerless top break, again 38 S&W. Have a ball shooting them!! Reload with 158 LSWC I cast out of a Lee 9303. Keep it mild out of respect for age and parts of guns. You used to be able to buy good used and donor guns but with all the interest in Cowboy shooting they have been bought up and are scarce. I will try and get you some photos soon

Rich

jh45gun
11-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Yea I suppose the CB thing hurts the market. We do not have that much around here so I will still keep looking for one. A couple of years ago I found a bucket of them at a gun show but they were pretty rough.

Love Life
11-10-2011, 01:53 AM
I wish a company would bring out a modern made version of top break revolvers in low pressure cartridges like 38 special and 45 ACP/auto rim. I would buy one of each.

Ickisrulz
11-10-2011, 02:10 AM
I wish a company would bring out a modern made version of top break revolvers in low pressure cartridges like 38 special and 45 ACP/auto rim. I would buy one of each.

Wish granted.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/top_break.php

jh45gun
11-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Wish granted.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/top_break.php

Wow are they proud of those. Not knocking Uberti I really like my Cattleman 45 Colt. Kinda pricey I wonder what they are going for since the MRSP is always higher than street price. Think I will stick looking for a old project gun. LOL

jameslovesjammie
11-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Wow are they proud of those. Not knocking Uberti I really like my Cattleman 45 Colt. Kinda pricey I wonder what they are going for since the MRSP is always higher than street price. Think I will stick looking for a old project gun. LOL

About $650

Bob in Revelstoke
11-10-2011, 03:23 AM
I have six of these revolvers. S&Ws, Forehand & Wadsworth, Ivor Johnson ect. Fun to shoot but you must have 38 s&w dies to reload. Lee makes them. Do not try 38 spl dies as they are too small and will damage the brass. Keep the pressure low, not only due to the age of the gun but the locking mechanism is relatively weak. Parts are not easily available. Most are .358 to .36o or more and accuracy with .357 bullits is poor. The original used soft lead hollow based bullits. I would post pictures but that is beyond my mental capacity.

jh45gun
11-10-2011, 04:43 AM
About $650

So your saying the street prices for those top breaks are half of the MRSP?

jh45gun
11-10-2011, 04:47 AM
I have six of these revolvers. S&Ws, Forehand & Wadsworth, Ivor Johnson ect. Fun to shoot but you must have 38 s&w dies to reload. Lee makes them. Do not try 38 spl dies as they are too small and will damage the brass. Keep the pressure low, not only due to the age of the gun but the locking mechanism is relatively weak. Parts are not easily available. Most are .358 to .36o or more and accuracy with .357 bullits is poor. The original used soft lead hollow based bullits. I would post pictures but that is beyond my mental capacity.

Well I do not have one at least not yet though I am on the look out for one that needs TLC like I have seen cheap at gun shows in the past. So not sure about what caliber considerations it would be either. Who knows maybe those days of finding them at gun shows is drying up? Good info though thanks. I do not hot rod any of my guns even the ones that can take it. I always keep my reloads on the moderate side of things. Though in this case moderate would be too much.

Bret4207
11-10-2011, 07:46 AM
I have an IJ 6" 32 Long. Not the greatest shooter, but fun. The sights limit your potential accuracy. I love the design. If I had the bucks I'd have several in 22, 32, 38, 44 Spec. and 45 or 455. IJ, H+R, Webley, Smith. I want some of each!

scrapcan
11-10-2011, 10:54 AM
foolishly traded a S&W 38 safety hammerless. I too would like to have a few to have fun with.

NoZombies
11-10-2011, 01:33 PM
http://nozombies.com/cast/32/4.jpg

Mk42gunner
11-11-2011, 01:45 AM
My latest project is a Howard Arms Co., Chicago USA in .32 S&W that I received in about 98% condition. 98% Heavy Rust condition that is.

I almost have it working, now I have to make a front sight. I am thinking of soldering a penny in place, its not worth using a dime. But these old topbreaks are fun to mess around with.

Robert

jh45gun
11-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Be interesting to see some before and after pics

NickSS
11-11-2011, 06:24 AM
I have three Iver Johnson revolvers two in 38 S&W and one in 32 S&W long. I have only shot one of them a few rounds worth and they are fun to own and shoot. I load them really light when I do shoot them. About 40 years ago I bought a box full of pistols like them for $50. There were 78 complete revolvers in the box and about 60 of them were fully functional. Most were IJ, Forhand and Wadsworth with three being S&Ws. One of my favorite pistols from that box was a Forhand and Wadsworth single action side hammer revolver in 22 Short RF. It was a hoot to shoot and I kept it for many years until it went away (I really do not know if I sold it or lost it). I did have one of the 38 S&W Iver Johnsons break the latch firing factory loads. Fortunately I had parts to fix it with. Eventually I sold they all for one reason or another. I wish I had a dozen or two of them today.

Bret4207
11-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I forgot, I have a Smith Perfected Model 38 S+W. That's the top break with the side latch too. Very nice gun!

jh45gun
11-14-2011, 04:43 AM
I might have a line on one a H&R 32 I think what my friend said his son has it and has no use for it he told his dad I would not shoot it but then that is to be seen. So any of you with these guns shoot them with light loads of smokeless if they were made in the black powder days or do you use black or a substitute? I have no idea if it is a black powder or smokeless vintage yet got to wait to get it if I do get it to see what the dates are on the pistol and check to see what model and version it is.