PDA

View Full Version : Reformed brass for the 1st time

Ickisrulz
11-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I picked up some .300 Win Mag brass last weekend at the range. I decided to try my hand at transforming it into .338 Win Mag. After a little trial and error I can attest it can...and has been done. I ran the brass into a .338 Win Mag FL die. Trimmed them. Annealed them. Tested them in my rifle...set the shoulders back a hair. Now they fit and they're ready to load. I'm proud of myself.

TNsailorman
11-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Good for you. I have been reforming brass for a number of years (30-06 military to 8x57, .308 Winchester to .300 Savage, etc.). Unfortunately the price of military brass has started climbing these days so the economics is not as good now. James

greywuuf
11-09-2011, 07:54 PM
when you get Real good at it I have some challenging ones for you to work on ;-)
I may be a glutton for punishment but I get a great deal of satisfaction out of forming brass into shapes (usually resembling a shootable cartridge) that i cant get anywhere else.
Good job just be conscious of the incorrect head stamp issue now. when necking down it is usually a non issue, but if you try to cram an over size round in the former gun there are cases than can be disasterous.

Ickisrulz
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
when you get Real good at it I have some challenging ones for you to work on ;-)
I may be a glutton for punishment but I get a great deal of satisfaction out of forming brass into shapes (usually resembling a shootable cartridge) that i cant get anywhere else.
Good job just be conscious of the incorrect head stamp issue now. when necking down it is usually a non issue, but if you try to cram an over size round in the former gun there are cases than can be disasterous.

I personally don't have a .300 win mag...so I won't be shooting .300 head stamped .338 in anything other than my .338.

greywuuf
11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
I personally don't have a .300 win mag...so I won't be shooting .300 head stamped .338 in anything other than my .338.

And that is fine, I don't think that is combo that will actually chamber anyway, but things have a way of happening, friends and family hunting camps and all, just something to be aware of. I once packed out a caribou that was killed with a .380 auto, because of a Father son team having matching guns, only one was 300 win mag and one was 7mm remington, seems that when you grab the wrong gun with only three in the mag, your spares don't work.......

I would wager that 300 win is cheaper and easier to find, I think you are off to a very promising start.

1Shirt
11-09-2011, 08:35 PM
I also have a fair amount of experiance in reforming brass. Have done 243 from 308, and 358W from 308. Going down to 243 requires neck trimming (inside or out). Have made a lot of 8x57 out of 06, and 270 from 06. Easy to do 270 w/1 pass, but a lot of cutting and trimming on 8x57. Being a p-dog shooter I long ago K'd a hornet, but that is just a fireforming with standard hornet in a K chamber. Seems like I have done others but can't seem to pull others out of my memory bank. With belted mag and rimmed cases headspace is not a problem in reforming. However, with rimless brass I have always used a cast blt seated into the lands to insure that I minimize any potential headspace problem. Never had a problem. It is however very important to make sure you pay attention to the reformed brass due to headstamps, and what ever you do, don't give any of it away. You may be able to trust yourself not to make a mistake, but you can't count on somebody else putting the wrong headstamped case in the wrong rifle.
Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee: