PDA

View Full Version : Rifle molds, dipper or bottom pour ?

milprileb
11-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I am about to begin casting my first 30 caliber rifle bullets and production is hardly the end state. I would like to cast as consistent a weight of bullet as possible so I am asking if that is best achieved with dipper than use of my bottom pour pot.

My 2 cavity mold is a Lyman steel version so it ought to retain heat better.

dropping pure Wheel Weights and then pure Lino type.

Can you spare an opinion on the dipper ? I don't own one but if I need to , I sure will get one.

I do intend to weight all bullets and cull them to be same weights and toss those that are light or heavier.

303Guy
11-09-2011, 05:17 PM
That bottom pour might be quicker which will keep the mold temp up. When full, the bottom pour will have more pressure for quick filling of the mold. I'd try it first and see how consistent the boolit weights are.

btroj
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I don't think the method is as important as the consistency of use in either method.
Rhythm is the key word. Keeping the mould and melt at a consistane temp is the key to constant bullets. If the mould eats too honor a bit cooler then bullet weight and possibly size will change.

Each mould has specific likes and dislikes as far as casting tempo. A 30 cal iron mould might need to be run pretty fast to keep the heat up. Preheating to casting temp will help too.

Again- find a rhythm and tempo that works for you and your mould/pot setup. That is the key to consistane bullet production.

Sonnypie
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
That bottom pour might be quicker which will keep the mold temp up. When full, the bottom pour will have more pressure for quick filling of the mold. I'd try it first and see how consistent the boolit weights are.

+1 for 303guy.
I do bottom myself. Even though I don't like bending over to watch the sprue plate.
As far as consistencies go, I have found using a single cav Lyman 311291 mold has been throwing the most consistent boolits I've cast from any of mine.
I use Rotometals Lyman #2 alloy, so I trust the alloy from run to run.
The above mentioned mold throws shiny, shiny boolits until it gets hot. Then drops duller (frosted) boolits. The jury is out as to accuracy of one over the tother.
Also, I water drop. I just like it betterer.

If I was to ladle (I did when I was a kid), I would want a cast iron spout type ladle (http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/casting_ladle_bottom1.htm).
But I don't, so I don't. :razz:

MT Gianni
11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I have no problems with a bottom pour in the 30 cal rifle molds.

Ben
11-09-2011, 09:14 PM
btroj :

Here is a " 2nd " for everything that btroj has said above.

I just got through casting these SAECO #301 HP , 194.5 gr. bullets. Out of 90 in a pile, about 12 didn't meet my + or - 2/10 of a grain requirements ( self imposed by me )

Those 90 bullets were poured with a Lyman Dipper and a Lee Mag 20 Dipper furnace with the mold & alloy running pretty HOT.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/DSCN2062.jpg

williamwaco
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I am about to begin casting my first 30 caliber rifle bullets and production is hardly the end state. I would like to cast as consistent a weight of bullet as possible so I am asking if that is best achieved with dipper than use of my bottom pour pot.

I do intend to weight all bullets and cull them to be same weights and toss those that are light or heavier.

I use bottom for handgun bullets and plinker rifle bullets. For accuracy rifle bullets I prefer the Ladle.

For actual comparison of weight consistency, see:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/bullet-weights.htm

You will notice that ladle poured bullets in this test vary less in weight.

That said: There are many "Old Guys" here that can do just as good with a bottom pour. I believe a beginner will get better consistency with a ladle.

btroj
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
And that Ben, is what a good rhythm does for you. It is simple, just do everything the same every time.

Nice looking bullets you have there.

Ben
11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks btroj - - - Oh, I didn't mention it.............

BUT, those were thrown from the 20 lb. pot without adding any fresh ingots during the casting session that produced those 90 bullets . In other words, I was certain that I didn't enter any variables ( with respect to the consistency of the alloy for the 1st 20 bullets poured vs. the last 20 bullets poured ) into the " equation ".

btroj
11-09-2011, 10:40 PM
I never add sprue back while I am casting. I cast a pot, fill back up, then have another go.

Variables are best avoided, they introduce more variables!

milprileb
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Thank you gentlemen !

grouch
11-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Dipper.
Grouch

Bret4207
11-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Ladle or BP, either works fine, depending on the man and the mould. I would learn to use both. You may find some moulds simply prefer one or the other. No sense limiting yourself.

The one thing I can promise is that your ladle will never empty itself all over your bench while you turn your back or go to the john.

1Shirt
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Yep, agree with Ben and Btroj. You have to be consistant, have the mold HOT, and remember that all molds are female and have different personalities!
1Shirt!:coffee:

milprileb
11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
all molds are female and have different personalities!

This should be on every mold box !