PDA

View Full Version : Scored with the old 35

northmn
11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011003.jpg

Had a good day today and wanted to share. There have been a couple of threads on the older Marlins like my 336 A. Mine was made after 1950 and is in 35 Remington. I wish I could say I used a cast bullet but I got the rifle a little late to get all the stuff together before season. I got this one with Rem Corelocs. Would not ahve matterd much as he was coming through the brush with does on his mind. The Red Dot sight is real handy in these situations as I put the dot on him and he dropped right where he was hit. Great day, young buck should be fair eating and it feels good using one of these old rifles.

DP

DanWalker
11-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Nicely done sir! Looks like he will be good eating. LOVE my(336cs) 35 remmy too!

helice
11-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Can't beat the 336 Marlin
Can't beat the 35 Remington
Can't beat the CoreLokt J-word

Great Huntin and Great shooting!

TXGunNut
11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
+1 on all of the above. My CB loads aren't quite ready for prime time so will be hunting with J-bullets in all but my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. 336 and Guide Gun will have to make do with RP bullets one more year, M70 and T/C Contender with offerings from Hornady. Calendar and freezer out-voted my casting furnace. Bummer.

DanWalker
11-09-2011, 11:49 PM
+1 on all of the above. My CB loads aren't quite ready for prime time so will be hunting with J-bullets in all but my Ruger Balckhawk in 45 Colt. 336 and Guide Gun will have to make do with RP bullets one more year, M70 and T/C Contender with offerings from Hornady. Calendar and freezer out-voted my casting furnace. Bummer.

Heck, just say the word and I'll throw 50 Ranch dog 190 grainers(lubed,sized and GC'd) in a box and get them headed your way! Load them over a good dose of H335 and them piggies will tip right over!

OnHoPr
11-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Heck, I can see those horns even with my ole eyes. Well it looks like you got a gun rack for that Marlin now. Good job.

white eagle
11-10-2011, 09:19 AM
excellent
great job and fun too.......

northmn
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I really liked the Red Dot but dislike worrying about the batteries. Think I will adorn that rifle with a very low power scope before next year, like maybe a shotgun scope. I can shoot peeps but a scope helps my older eyes. The way he went down I thought I may have broken his neck but it went straight in as it was facing me. He was also pretty fat which is another very good sign as I do like venison. I put him at about a 3 year old. My daughter shot a spike last year that ran a lot of his fat off and was a little tough. What feels good is that I would be embarrassed to show picture of the last two deer I have shot. They were good eating but it feels good to shoot a nice deer again.

DP

izzyjoe
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
that's a nice buck, glad you put that .35 to use. don't matter what kind of boolit you use, just as long as it works!

josper
11-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I really liked the Red Dot but dislike worrying about the batteries. Think I will adorn that rifle with a very low power scope before next year, like maybe a shotgun scope. I can shoot peeps but a scope helps my older eyes. The way he went down I thought I may have broken his neck but it went straight in as it was facing me. He was also pretty fat which is another very good sign as I do like venison. I put him at about a 3 year old. My daughter shot a spike last year that ran a lot of his fat off and was a little tough. What feels good is that I would be embarrassed to show picture of the last two deer I have shot. They were good eating but it feels good to shoot a nice deer again.

DP

I like using an aim point sight.I start the season off with a fresh battery and keep a spare in my shirt pocket.I have never been caught flat with a battery.I wouldn't part with my aim point.And by the way nice buck,good going.

Mk42gunner
11-11-2011, 01:19 AM

DP

I hear you about the batteries, one thing I noticed when I was in the Navy and storing everybody's weapons at the base armory when they were TAD for training; if it had a battery operated sight, it had readily accesable iron back ups.

The fastest I ever saw a deer drop, that wasn't spined or brained, was shot with a 200 gr PSP out of a .35 Whelen at about 70 yards with pretty much the same placement. She went down so fast I saw her falling in the scope while the rifle was recoilling.

The .35 calibers are weaning me away from the smaller calibers the more I hunt with them.

Robert

ajjohns
11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Good job. At least you found a nice deer in the north country, it's been pretty poor hunting (number wise) around us. Love that 35, the last bucks I shot were with the old Rem. Model 8.

northmn
11-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I ordered a 1.5-4 power scope as I just do not care for too much tech. Funny thing is that I have shot three deer with that Red Dot with no problems. When we had intensive harvest permits I shot one across a field. My daughter teased me about the size of it as it was pretty small, but I told her I was proud of it as it is harder to hit something that small at that distance. They are very quick to get on target, I think faster than a peep. I have a Marlin CB in 38-55 that shoots cast and may use it for still hunting.
I have not seen really good deer hunting in Northern MN for about 3 years now. For awhile they gave us a 5 deer limit, but now have cut back to one deer. The people that hunt the tax forfeit across the road from me have given up. The deer have to be there as the county did road work by my place and the clover really took off in the ditches. When I got home from work one night there were about 5 of them in my driveway (I work swing shift) I also would see several along the highway on the drive home. A couple of years ago I shot a small deer on the last weekend and told the registration person that I was almost embarrassed to register it. He said don't be, it is a deer and there have not been that many brought in. I have to spend more time on a deer stand now to score.

DP

ajjohns
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I hear ya on the five deer limit. In zone 101 we can hardly find one deer anymore. Sharpshooters taking deer for TB testing have about wiped them all out. Getting timber wolves on the neighbors trail cameras in the middle of the afternoon and the deer in the middle of the night make it hard to bag one.

missionary5155
11-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Greetings & Congradulations !
You have done good public service eliminating another corn cruncher! My son down in Morristown is waiting to one day get up north state so he can use a rifle.
Mike in Peru

richhodg66
11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Good buck! I have an old Marlin .35, pre-micro groove, I shot a couple of deep south deer with including a pretty good eight pointer a few years ago. I also used those 200 grain Core Lokts and IMR 3031. That little .35 kills a lot better than its "paper ballistics" would lead one to believe.

Is there not snow on the ground up there yet? We're having an unusually warm fall down here in Kansas as well.

358 Win
11-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Congratulations on your buck with your 336A. No one will ever convince me that a .35 Rem is not effective on deer or bigger stuff. I've got 1 350 Rem Mag, 2 35 Whelens, 3 358 Winchesters, and 4 35 Remingtons. To say I love the .35 caliber would be a gross understatement. I've had more one shot DRT kills with my .35 caliber rifles than all the others in my inventory.
358 Win

T-Bird
11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I've had a35 rem. 336 for 2yrs. Swapped for it with a friend who wanted a muzzelloader I had. I love it esp for cast. It has microgroove, but I shoot 1.5in groups at will at 100yds. With a 20/1 200gr boolet, 3 bucks have failed to hold it and I got 2 good leaking holes to follow(not far). Shoot Straight, T-Bird

northmn
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Had to get a virus removed from the computer so have been out of touch. We have snow that may melt this week but the long term stuff should come pretty soon. Got him cut up and froze. He is a younger buck and the steaks are very tender. Shot one once, white up to the eyeballs and they were rather stringy. Went out the day after season closed and saw signs of all kinds of activity in one of the food plots. They are getting smart.

DP

TXGunNut
11-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Heck, just say the word and I'll throw 50 Ranch dog 190 grainers(lubed,sized and GC'd) in a box and get them headed your way!-DanWalker

Thanks! But if you recall we bought the last two moulds RD had, I just haven't got the alloy and load right yet. Haven't tried H335, still trying to make Rx7 or 4198 work.

TXGunNut
11-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Something about the .35 Rem. Haven't hunted seriously with the 336 but in my T/C Contender and 180 Hornady's it's meat in the freezer. It'll also put 3 shots iside an inch, a better shooter could put 5 in there. 336 w/ 200gr Core-Lokts put 2 rounds about .5" apart...good enough for TX deer and hogs. Can hardly wait to do that with CB's.
Agreed about the low-powered scopes, my 336 has a 1.5-6 Simmons and it's a match made in heaven...until I can afford another Leupold.

northmn
11-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I should look into the RD molds more. I tumble lube any bullet I load anyway as it has worked for me with softer alloys. Right now I do not have any loading dies even for the 35, and only have 357 mag molds. Be after Christmas before I start buying stuff to reload with. Luckily I do have a good powder selection.

DP