PDA

View Full Version : Texas

Boz330
11-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I have never been anywhere in this country that didn't have it's own beauty but this is fantastic, enjoy.

Bob

Texas friends - Take a look!

Be sure to turn on your speakers and go full screen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/22132017?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

I sure hope this comes through. Wyman, the photographer, used to live in the old jail in Benjamin, TX. The photo of the coiled rattlesnake appeared on the cover of a wildlife magazine in the 80s. He said, there were times he crawled a long way on his belly to get a good shot of a wild animal. The music was nice also, didn't make me want to put it on mute!!!

The music is by Doug Smith. Doug is from Petersburg and lives south of town. I have coffee with his uncle often. Doug plays by ear- He can not read music, but has many CDs. A pickup accident left Doug paralyzed an he does not play any more. Most of the pictures were taken in the rolling plains ( cap rock to Seymour , the Fork, 6666, and Waggoner Ranches. There are some scenes in Palo Duro Canyon .

Please take a moment and view....I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such fantastic use of music set to amazing animal and landscape photography. The changes in the tempo perfectly compliment the scenery. It is simply a beautiful portrayal of our magnificent home state!

P.K.
11-09-2011, 09:42 AM
You need to check your link, all I got was the title screen and flikering when I moused across it. It may just be my puter though. ;-)

scrapcan
11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
worked fine for me thanks Boz! Wife is a Aggie and Texan at heart.

Boz330
11-09-2011, 10:40 AM
PK, it worked for me. Sorry you couldn't bring it up it is really worth watching.

Bob

slim1836
11-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

Slim

Moondawg
11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
The excellent photography just shows why so many of us love our little bit of heavan on earth, The Great State Of Texas.

SSGOldfart
11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
it works just really slow loading,only Texas can give you them veiws

deltaenterprizes
11-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Nice, I sent it to my friends.

Freightman
11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I can almost walk out my back door and see a lot of what was there. The Palo Duro canyon pictures are great I have climbed most of the things he photographed as I was there almost ever week end when I was a teenager. If you have never seen a West Texas thunder storm it is really awesome power. Thanks for showing where I live, like trees but can't stay long as I long for wide open space.

Wayne Smith
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Wonderfully edited. I appreciate the artistry of the music and photography as well as the geography.

Char-Gar
11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Lovely, I spend many years in Northwest Texas where these photos were taken. I was talking to my wife over coffee this morning how I longed to be back there this time of year.

AggieEE
11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Thank you, very nice

Olevern
11-09-2011, 01:06 PM
beautiful, not personally aquainted with West Texas but spent a lot of time in south Texas, always come back to my mountain streamed, big woods country.

The music was also beautiful, what a shame the artist can no longer play, that would be like one of us untalented clods losing the ability to speak....I wish him well.

vern

bowfin
11-09-2011, 01:10 PM
You need to check your link, all I got was the title screen and flikering when I moused across it. It may just be my puter though

Sounds like it could be hosted on that Longhorn Network that tore the Big XII football conference apart and in the end, no one in Texas could watch the games anyhow!:kidding:

Recluse
11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Boz,

Muchas gracias!

My grandparents eventually settled in Seymour and I grew up all around that area. I know the Benjamin County Jail very well as I would drive by it on the "Lubbock Highway" to and from college, which is also Weiman's alma mater--Texas Tech University.

I spent some summers working on the Pitchfork Ranch which at one time neighbored the famed Four Sixes ranch. I've also landed on the Four Sixes private runway (with permission) to see a few old friends I grew up with who are now full-time ranch hands there.

The canyons of Palo Duro and Caprock (located near Quitaque) are impossible to describe. Even Weiman's masterful photography only gives you the slightest tease of what they are about.

You have to experience them in person. To stand before them in all their majestic, breath-taking awe. The snow-swept plains. . . God, I've been there riding those fences during Christmas break. Ain't nothing colder than those wind-swept plains in December and January when the snow is blowing horizontal and you're riding the fence line.

I've met Weiman a number of times and we always got a laugh out of how we shoot rattlesnakes--he uses a medium format camera from a distance, I use a pump-shotgun close up. :) Been years and years since I last visited with him.

When you grow up in West Texas and end up in one of the cities like Dallas or Houston or Austin, you take a beating from the liberal citified alpha-hotels. You're viewed as a hayseed hick, uncultured, a barbarian (hey, we DID grow up with guns and hunting and settling our differences the old fashioned way out behind the barn), and generally just a second-class citizen.

Slideshows like this always remind me why I'm so damn proud of my roots and heritage.

Thanks, Boz. I was having a lousy week and a lousy morning until I saw this.

You made my day.

:coffee:

Boz330
11-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Your welcome.
As I said in the initial post there is beauty in all parts of this country. This made my day as well.
I guided hunters in NM from 95 till 03 on either side of US 60 west of I-25. Much of the country is similar and I miss it a bunch. Every morning there, I thanked God for the opportunity to watch the sunrise from the top of some mountain looking for elk. I don't miss SOME of the hunters but it was a joy to hunt with the good ones, the ones that knew what hunting was all about.

Bob

lbaize3
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Those pictures remind me that it is toll free to call Heaven from rural west Texas. It is about as close to Heaven as one can get.

I have been to most of the places shown and the sense of wonder simply stays with you.

Reaper
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Beautiful

geargnasher
11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I've lived all over this great state and visited many of those places, thanks for sharing Boz!

My favorite, hands down, is still the Big Bend country.

Gear

Blacksmith
11-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I spent a week driving through west Texas one day but I don't remember seeing anything that good looking. My dad and I counted buzzards on the telephone poles to pass the time.

Blacksmith

DLCTEX
11-09-2011, 11:00 PM
You have now seen my home area. I love this country.

Powellcole5490
11-10-2011, 12:16 AM
I have never been anywhere in this country that didn't have it's own beauty but this is fantastic, enjoy.

Bob

Texas friends - Take a look!

Be sure to turn on your speakers and go full screen.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/22132017?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0

I sure hope this comes through. Wyman, the photographer, used to live in the old jail in Benjamin, TX. The photo of the coiled rattlesnake appeared on the cover of a wildlife magazine in the 80s. He said, there were times he crawled a long way on his belly to get a good shot of a wild animal. The music was nice also, didn't make me want to put it on mute!!!

The music is by Doug Smith. Doug is from Petersburg and lives south of town. I have coffee with his uncle often. Doug plays by ear- He can not read music, but has many CDs. A pickup accident left Doug paralyzed an he does not play any more. Most of the pictures were taken in the rolling plains ( cap rock to Seymour , the Fork, 6666, and Waggoner Ranches. There are some scenes in Palo Duro Canyon .

Please take a moment and view....I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such fantastic use of music set to amazing animal and landscape photography. The changes in the tempo perfectly compliment the scenery. It is simply a beautiful portrayal of our magnificent home state!

Wow awesome pictures and music! I'm from Amarillo, TX which is right next to Palo Duro canyon. Awesome!

crabo
11-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Here I am standing on the edge of Palo Duro Canyon, just north of Wayside and the big tower, about 30 years ago. That was when I had good knees, good back, and a lot lighter.