PDA

View Full Version : blank brass

confederatemule
11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Is brass from a blank cartridge re-loadable? I would like to reload them as not blank cartridges. They are .32 caliber.
Thanks for any help.

Mule

Baja_Traveler
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Someplace, six or so months ago, on one of the six or so forums I frequent, I saw a post where someone from one of the Scandinavian countries - Sweden I think, was using the .32 blanks from a nail gun to reload for a pistol because the rimfire ammo for it was non existent there.
Seemed to have good results too from what I remember. He was dumping the blank powder and replacing it with something else more suited to pushing lead through a barrel. If he could make it work I'm sure you could too with a little experimentation.

confederatemule
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
These are not rim fire. They are center fire cases.

LowPE
11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I would be worried that the brass might be too long. The 9mm blanks I have look long, and are crimped forward. Not sure if that is standard for all blanks.

Extreme caution is caused for.

Reg
11-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I played with a few a number of years back and had good luck but remember, that was a few years ago and it was just how it turned out for me.
Clean and inspect them them measure everything carefully. Compare them with a good factory case. One thing to look out for is to check the case wall thickness. If they were designed for higher pressure , they may have increased the wall thickness and perhaps even the head thickness. Will make the case stronger and make no physical difference in a blank but could create excessive pressure in a loaded round and in the case of the wall thickness, with a bullet of normal diameter, upon seating the bullet, would expand the neck diameter to an excessive level and it might not chamber or perhaps might jam in the chamber.
Approach everything carefully and use good judgement. If all checks out, you might have another source of brass.

:drinks:

confederatemule
11-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Maybe I did not give enough information. On the bottom of the brass it says... "REM-UMC .32 S&W". I'll be loading them with black powder. I'll be shooting them in an Iver Johnson top break pocket pistol, and a Harrington & Richardson top break pocket pistol.
I will try my best to take all of the precautions that you folks have mentioned.
Thanks.
Mule