PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 Pot Success

lesharris
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Over the past 40 years I have tried Lee,Saeco,Lyman,and a few other electric melting pots, bottom pour and dippers.
Today I finally tried my new Lee 4-20 pot.
It was a Christmas gift fron last year.
It heated up nicely with range lead and was much faster than my Lyman dipper 20 lb. pot.
The mold guide helped with the 6 cavity molds.
I have not used a bottom pour pot in over 6 years so a little learning curve was in order.
It helps to see the pour spout.
Overall this pot performed a lot better than my last Lee 10 lb.pot did.
Leaking was at a minimum. An ingot mould was placed under the spout to catch any drippings and then the drippings were returned to the pot.
Overall impression was excellant.
Les.

Mk42gunner
11-09-2011, 04:42 AM
I have used a 4-20 for the past few years and don't have many complaints about it. Before I used it the first time; I lapped the valve rod and seat togrether with 800 grit lapping compound and have had few drips.

A few days after I bought the 4-20 new, I found one of the production pot IVs' in a pawnshop for ten bucks, missing the valve rod. I picked it up for a spare (or a differnet alloy), and have never used it.

Of course who can resist upgrading, I found an RCBS Promelt at an auction the other day. I haven't used it other than to test cast about a dozen boolits; but so far I like it better than the Lee's.

Robert

sqlbullet
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I have been very impressed with my Lee 4-20 pot. Works great. I get the occasional drip, but nothing bad. Usually a twist of the valve rod will stop it.

Certainly speeds production to have 20lbs of hot lead. I also have a 10lb pot, and about the time I get going I have to add lead. Been thinking of building an assembly to allow the 10 lb pot to be a pre-heater for the 20 lb pot.