PDA

View Full Version : The Last Smelt

fishnbob
11-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Well, yesterday I smelted my last two buckets of WW's. After my wife saw the mess and all the sweat I went through, she asked, "Why in the hell don't you just buy it next time?" You know, that might be the smartest thing she said since "I DO". I worked my @$$ off. I don't think it is worth it to me, considering my age and health. Me thinks from now on I will just buy it on the site or patronage Rotometals from now on!:drinks:

nwellons
11-08-2011, 09:41 PM
I actually enjoy the hunt for wheel weights and then smelting them in the back yard. Age can be a problem as I'm only 66 but my back is a little sore after collecting 220 pounds of weights today.

As far as the sweat, I have been waiting for cooler weather to smelt what is now over 350 pounds for my son and me.

You can't have too much.

gyrogearhead
11-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I actually enjoy the hunt for wheel weights and then smelting them in the back yard. Age can be a problem as I'm only 66 but my back is a little sore after collecting 220 pounds of weights today.

As far as the sweat, I have been waiting for cooler weather to smelt what is now over 350 pounds for my son and me.

You can't have too much.

I agree!! Smelting is almost as much fun as casting. Just finished up with half of my 120# score of WW last weekend and made a startling discovery, at least for me. I had been sorting through the WW's with diagonal cutters trying each one to separate the zinc ones from the rest. Well, I must have missed two because as I ladled out the clips from the melt the two zinc WW's poped up to the top and floated on the surface. Picked them out quickly and set them aside.

Next smelt I won't bother to try to separate out the zinc ones just keep the melt temperature a hair above lead freezing temp and pick out the floaters along with the clips. That's gonna save me some serious time. [smilie=w:

Gerry

fishnbob
11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Next smelt I won't bother to try to separate out the zinc ones just keep the melt temperature a hair above lead freezing temp and pick out the floaters along with the clips. That's gonna save me some serious time. [smilie=w:

Gerry

I think that is what wore me out, sorting out the zinc & steel clip ons and separating the stickons for the soft lead. I had about 12 lbs of stickons and 15 lbs of zinc & steel, plus a few tire valves and valve stems and black brake dust, yuk! I need to build a low bench with an adjoining table. I need to raise the fryer up a little and have a table at a 90* angle to it so I don't have to bend and stoop so much. If there is another smelt, I definitely will sort the trash out first and have it ready to smelt instead of trying to do it all at once. I guess I had to vent a little frustration. I can't imagine walking around town and not picking up ww's.;)

fredj338
11-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Since the lead ww nas going in affect all over, it's really not worth the time & effort, not to mention gas, truying to find a place that will give or sell you ww. Most buckets are now coing out 50% or less lead, just not worth it. If I am in a shop & they have some when I ask, great, but I would rather smelt range scrap or buy ingots @ $1/# here.

fishnbob
11-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Me and 2 other DA's were going in on a 1600 lb buy the other day and the other 2 guys backed out and left me holding the bag. I don't need 1600 lbs at once so I called the guy and he was real nice about it and let me out of the deal. I don't think he will have any trouble selling them. He wanted .50 cents a lb and I guess with zinc & steel showing up, by the time you get down to the lead at a net wt. of 1280 lbs(80%) ~800=.62.5 cents a pound. Then add in your gas(pick up & smelt) and time involved, it begins to make it pricey! Besides, I am beginning to enjoy mail delivery. The mail lady is a looker! And they need the business.LOL

Freightman
11-12-2011, 02:41 PM
I am to an age where I think I will be buying lead, as digging it out of the berm is getting to be real hard, then smelting is a chore. I have been doing yards for extra money for the last 20 years, but this year with the drouth, high temps. and my back that I broke in 93 isn't getting any better plus my 73 birthday is near it is time to stop. My sons sit me down and had a talk with me when I finished the season on mowing I lost 40# this year because of the heat. Mining lead is no longer fun, smelting lead is a chore so it is time to quit.
But I am not ready to give my big bore rifles to my sons yet.