PDA

View Full Version : Uberti schofield

tcrocker
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been thinking of getting a Schofield I seen on Uberti's web sight the have 3 modle, a 3", 5" and 7". I'm leaning to the 5" modle. Does eny one use this gun or shot one? If so what do you think of it. I;m thinking Schofield of Blackhawk. I know the blackhawk is stronger but there is somthing about the Schofield.

lathesmith
11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't personally own one, but the Uberti Schofield's I have handled were excellent quality, and these generally get good reports by those who own and shoot them.

The Schofield and Blackhawk are quite a bit different, each has its own purpose and use. You definitely do NOT want to hot-rod a Schofield, if you are looking for a pistol to run hot loads through, better stick with the Blackhawk. Or better yet, get one of each, and enjoy what they each do best!

lathesmith

x101airborne
11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I dont own one either, but +1 on the cool factor. That movie "3:10 to Yuma" the second bad guy shore made it look easy to wield. For plinking or general carry in the woods, I think I would like a 38 spl in 3 inch or maybe a 44 russian / special in a 5 inch. Heck, I have even resurrected some of the old H&R break open revolvers (mostly 22's and 38 smiths) because I think they are so cool.

Second thought, I think the 44 russian would be the stuff!! Wonder if you could still get in on the 44 wadcutter group buy? If you get one, contact SPRINGFIELD on this forum for some really great leather at a SUPER reasonable price.

rbertalotto
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM
schofield = cool factor
blackhawk = tool

both great guns, but a Porsche and a Dodge Ram comparison.............

Wayne Smith
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Schofield by Uberti - do not use BP in these. They lengthened the cylinder to chamber 44-40 and 45 Colt and removed the BP shield that is found in the S&W's. Other than that they are good guns. The Ruger is way stronger than the Schofield, tho. If you want to hot rod it get the Ruger. If you want to shoot for fun and historical interest get the Schofield.

tcrocker
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Not realy looking to shoot hot rounds eny more .I recon if they would kill game back in the old west they will still work today.

leadman
11-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Mike Venturino did and article on the Uberti and the new S&W Schofields in Handloader 242, June 2006.

If you done have this magazine and want to read the article PM me.

I would go for the Schofield as they are unique. Blackhawks are everywhere.

jnovotny
11-10-2011, 09:01 PM
These guns are really fun to shoot, but if you want a race gun than go with a ruger. I shot a schofield in CAS just for the fun for a couple of months, but was lured into tradeing it for a S&W 625. I think I came out on the better end of the stick.

tcrocker
11-10-2011, 09:03 PM
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/Capture.png

tcrocker
11-10-2011, 09:07 PM
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/Capture-3.png

tcrocker
11-10-2011, 09:10 PM
jnovotny is the Blackhawk realy that much faster than the Schofield?

jnovotny
11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Lots faster... sorry for the delay I don't always check where I been on here. I shoot ruger vaqueros most of the time. The only thing you can do faster with a schofield is load it. A ruger will definatley shoot faster.

9.3X62AL
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
These repros attract me, too. My preferences would run toward a cylinder that fit the 44 Russian or 45 S&W properly.......but the 44-40 cylinder would match up well with the '73 Winchester in that caliber. Historically incorrect, but WTH. I NEED one of these like a trout needs a snowmobile, but why let a small thing like pragmatism stand in the way of recreation?

MtGun44
11-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Al,

A friend and I were discussing our possible next acquistion, and he said "I NEED one of
those!". I corrected him that he really didn't NEED it, but he did WANT it. My final comment
was "Both of us are WAY beyond NEED in the gun department, and hip deep in WANT. But
as long as we recongize that, it's OK."

Another friend collects Garands. When asked, "How many?", He always replies with the
current number like this "Well, 24 - but I can stop any time."

I'm not sure I can stop any time. . . . . . . . :bigsmyl2:

Bill

9.3X62AL
11-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Well, I've slowed considerably over the past few years--but stop? Not completely, not ever. I have started distributing examples among the kids and nephews, since they want to shoot and really can't afford to buy guns at their stage of life. This creates space in the safe, which in the interest of economic recovery should be back-filled with new-to-me toys.

missionary5155
11-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Good morning
Having been a shooter of 44Russian for more than 20 years now and a happy owner of numerous Origonal #3īs I will say that is something quit interesting about watching a 246 grainer plod along at 750 fps down to the 25 yard line and smack the snot out of whatever is in the way. Not powerful like the 44 Dragoons but fast to reload and plenty fast to cock & fire the #3īs were a great advance in revolver technoligy. At ranges of 25 yards and usually alot less that 246 30-1 grainer caused serious internal damage especially when followed up with the normal "shoot them again - ammo is cheap " philosophy of the average hammer cocker.
The caliber .45 Schofield is just that 10 grains of lead better.
Mike in Peru

Dan Cash
11-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a Schofield clone by Uperti and find it most serviceable. As others have said, you can't hot rod it and have it last but a 250 gr .45 slug over 7.5 gr Unique will suffice for anything I have ever faced. It surely makes a coyote DRT. My gun is approaching 2000 rounds and is still tight and has had no repairs. I did remove the *%^^%$#@&!!!!stupid "safety" thing before it got me shot. Used as originally intended, the gun is safe, handy and effective.

Wayne Smith
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Wow, Dan. After seeing that pic I'm gonna have to invest in a holster for my S&W Schofield (new manufacture). Don't know when I'll have a chance to carry it but it sure would be neat.

JesterGrin_1
11-29-2011, 07:32 PM
The Schofield may not be as fast or as strong as other Hand Guns but they sure are Classy looking no doubt. Alas I do not have one.

EDK
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
The western channel on DIRECT TV has a series called DEAD MAN'S GUN...the star is a SCHOFIELD that has a curse on/in it. If you don't get rid of it,...a lot of bad things happen to bad people. The gun is engraved, gold inlay and initials and aged ivory stocks.

It sure looks neat. I'd like to take one out and put a hundred rounds or so through it....then it would be out of my system or I'd buy one, have it prettied up and admire it.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I shot SASS matches for two years with a pair of the Navy Arms version. The 44 Russian is a pretty neat cartridge, mine were 7" barrels.

They are a lot of fun, if you are looking for a fun plinker/SASS match pistol. They just made it too crazy trying to switch back and forth with my SAA's.

jnovotny
12-04-2011, 03:00 PM
They definatly do have a different grip than a SAA, I shot a 1872 opentop and the schofield at the same time. I shoot the duelist catagory with my right hand, try that once.

paul edward
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
The 44 Russian is an easy cartridge to load. I shot thousands of rounds from an old Belgian made single shot.

Favorite mold for this caliber is the Lyman 429336 which was developed for target loads in the .44 Russian and works very well. I still have a bunch of REM-UMC baloon head cases that I no longer load. Back in the early 60s you could still find a few original loads, usually in old hardware stores.

Brass can be made by trimming 44 Special back to .970.

happy7
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I have both the Ruger and the Schofield. My Uberti is the 7 inch barrel. The sights are not very precise, but I love it. Maybe my favorite firearm. The 250 grain Lee bullet shoots very accurate (like two inches) at 25 yards and exactly to point of aim in my gun over a load of trail boss. No mistake. It shoots well. It can kick cokes cans around very reliably.

The ergonomics of the hammer grip layout is different than the SAA and its clones and varients. I find that the Schofield doesn't work as well for two handed shooting as is now popular in Sass, but actually works better for single handed shooting, like gunfighter. It is easier to reach the hammer with the shooting hand thumb, at least for me.

Now for serious shooting, I'm always going to choose the Ruger. The Ruger has more precise sights, is a lot stronger, cheaper, better trigger, and mine is one hole type accurate with the right load. I have shot a number of 3/8" groups at 25 yards from a rest. It is one of the shootinist handguns I have ever shot. (The other one I had years ago, in .357 was real accurate too. But my brother borrowed it when I was traveling, and then proceeded to lose it! I sure hope it turns up one day. but I haven't seen it in 15 years.) It used to be my shootin buddy's gun and he got the itch for a 1911. I couldn't really afford it at time, but when he was fool enough to offer it to me, I had to have it. I am a sucker for an accurate firearm.

Like others said, they are really different guns, built for different types of fun. The Schofield is way cooler. Having both is really nice.