PDA

View Full Version : LLA Tumble Lubing & Paste Wax

30yrcaster
11-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Hello,

This mix of Lee Liquid Alox, Johnson Paste Wax & Mineral Spirits is fascinating!! I have an old can of Simonize Paste Wax for Floors thats been almost unused. It doesn't have the ingredients on the can. Is this the same as JPW? Looks yellow like what I saw on the Youtube video but it's not hard but not soft either.

It does say flamible on the can but so does the MSDS for JPW.

Thanks

mpmarty
11-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Yup that's JPW Johnson Paste Wax. I mix mine fifty fifty without the mineral spirits and it dries hard and not sticky overnight.

Sonnypie
11-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know, but I'd bet it is pretty close to the same.
And with some of the concoctions I've read about folks mixing up, I'd say it is better than quite a few of the witches brews floating out there.

I made up some of that LLA, Paste Wax, Solvent concoction and I like it. Even through mine came out a bit juicy.
It works good anyway and goes further than the LLA alone.

geargnasher
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
The trick is to cook the solvent out of the past wax first, then add the LLA while it's still liquid, and after it cools to just above body temperature, add mineral spirits to "taste". I know it's counterintuitive to boil off the solvent and then add it back, but I've tried both ways and always had better luck cooking the JPW down to a goo and then adding Alox and cooking together. It makes almost a varnish finish when dry, not the soft film that the uncooked mix makes.

Gear

popper
11-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I kind of like the aroma when fired. I don't cook it, may need to try that. Since I started using it my 336 barrel is really hard to get clean. several patching sessions with either ed's red, Hoppes #9 and brake cleaner, I still get this black crud out. No silver flakes or strands like shotgun or pistol leading. Am I seeing vaporized lead mixed with the lube?