PDA

View Full Version : Lube sizer heater plates "Feeler"

beanflip
11-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Anyone interested in some aluminum plate stock.

Measurements are:

3/4 thick

4 1/4 wide

11 1/2 lenght "average lenght"

This would make a great start in making a heating plate for your lube sizers.

midnight
11-08-2011, 02:34 PM
I just made one using ¾in aluminum and a 25 watt cartridge heater intended as an engine heater. Works great especially when combined with a sliding dimmer switch. You should be able to make two with that piece of aluminum. I still have a chunk 6x12x1 that can make two more. Finding suitable cartridge heaters at a reasonable price is more of a challenge. Searching e-bay seems to be the quickest way to find a heater.

Bob

MikeS
11-09-2011, 03:26 AM
I have a Lyman 45 mounted onto a piece of wood, as I use the Lee bench plate system. I've been thinking of getting some aluminum, and making a plate the same size out of aluminum, and drilling a hole for a heater, so that the installation would be nice an neat.

Are you offering to sell aluminum plates in the size you mentioned? If so, let me know how much you want for one, as I could cut that plate into the size needed for the Lee system. I just bought a Phelps sizer too, and could probably use the left over to make a heater plate for it too. It's not going into the Lee bench plate system, so I could make a smaller heater plate for it.

midnight
11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Mike, I think I'll hang on to that 1 in chunk of aluminum. I found both the ¾in ans the 1 in on E-bay. I used a belt sander to clean up the edges and polish the top. Looks pretty sharp. Boring a deep hole in the edge can be a challenge to a guy with a $40 drill press. I polished the hole with a wood dowel with oil and valve grinding compound on it. I then used a dowel with oil and JB to smooth it up. I used the valve grinding compound cuz I had to enlarge the hole a few thousanths, probably cuz I had a banana shaped hole. A little heat sink grease and the cartridge slides right in. Mine is a good friction fit but I see Lyman uses a set screw. That would be easy enough to do if necessary.

Bob

Snafu12
11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
I am
Details?

kbstenberg
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Count me in allso. I cant find Alum. stock locally.
It mite be cheaper to cut a plate to fit in a small flat reta box. they would be plenty big enough for a lube sizer.

Ziptar
11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd also be interested.

beanflip
11-16-2011, 10:33 AM
So a lenght of stock about 5 1/2 in. X 4 1/4 would be better?

Maybe a little longer so it can be clamped down to the bench?

Pigslayer
11-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Check with Online Metals. They have what you need.

fryboy
11-18-2011, 01:04 PM
like Mikes i use the lee bench plate , i fashioned one plate from aluminum and wished i had more , the plate i made works great with lyman's cartridge heater but is roughly 7" wide and 3.75" deep leaving me with the question - what do you want for one or two ? the depth wont matter as much as the width and the thickness ..
edit for add ... a link to lee's pdf drilling template with size of the blocks
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/TMPMASTER.pdf

Pigslayer
11-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I just made one using ¾in aluminum and a 25 watt cartridge heater intended as an engine heater. Works great especially when combined with a sliding dimmer switch. You should be able to make two with that piece of aluminum. I still have a chunk 6x12x1 that can make two more. Finding suitable cartridge heaters at a reasonable price is more of a challenge. Searching e-bay seems to be the quickest way to find a heater.

Bob

I knew I had some 3/4" x 3 1/2" aluminum plate somewhere. I found it today. Had a 8" long piece & cut it in two. I'm lucky to have a metal cutting bandsaw. Laid out the mounting holes for a Lyman #450 on one & a Lyman #45 on the other. Now to get the cartridge heaters. Never heard of one until I read your post. The 120v seem to be more expensive than the 220v. Actually McMaster-Carr has the best selection & prices as good or better than those on ebay. MC also has the switches.
Just ordered a 120v, 3/8" dia, 1 1/2" Long 40 watt heater from McMaster-Carr for $17 & change plus shipping.

Pigslayer
11-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Mike, I think I'll hang on to that 1 in chunk of aluminum. I found both the ¾in ans the 1 in on E-bay. I used a belt sander to clean up the edges and polish the top. Looks pretty sharp. Boring a deep hole in the edge can be a challenge to a guy with a $40 drill press. I polished the hole with a wood dowel with oil and valve grinding compound on it. I then used a dowel with oil and JB to smooth it up. I used the valve grinding compound cuz I had to enlarge the hole a few thousanths, probably cuz I had a banana shaped hole. A little heat sink grease and the cartridge slides right in. Mine is a good friction fit but I see Lyman uses a set screw. That would be easy enough to do if necessary.

Bob

I see that you have a Modern Bond sizer. Wouldn't happen to have an extra .358 die for sale would you??:?:

beanflip
11-21-2011, 11:40 AM
What is left of the aluminum plate stock is in the swappin and sellin area.

Pigslayer
11-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Got my 40W cartridge heater from McMaster-Carr this evening. I need another but it's mortgage payment time so funds area a little tight. I'm really glad that I read this thread otherwise I might have spent a whole lot more money for heater. I think that they (Lyman Heaters) usually run about $50 & change. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of knowledge that one can obtain when one reaches out to the masses. Thanks guys!:bigsmyl2:

Pigslayer
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM

Bob

Thanks to your lube heater invention I just completed two of them. One for my #45 & one for my #450. I used some leftover 3/4" x 3 1/2" aluminum stock I had laying around. My cartridge heater slides directly into the backside of the aluminum (dead center) and seats flush with just the wires hanging out. I used a 4" square metal electrical box laying flat that again goes directly to the backside of the aluminum with a 5/16" hole for the cartridge heater wires. I drilled & tapped two 10-24 holes in the back of the AL for the box to bolt to with of course corresponding holes in the box. Everything lays flat with the box bolted to the AL. I used a single switch 1/2" mud ring on the box. Mounted a rotary dimmer switch and put a metal switch cover on. I made the cords out of 16/3 SJ cord and a 3-prong plug.
I just mounted & fired up the one for the #45. In about 15 minutes the AL & sizer were toasty warm. I need to play with it so I know where to position the switch so it stays about 95 degrees. I made them both for about $55.00.
Just one heater from Lyman would cost at least that much without the temperature control.[smilie=p: