PDA

View Full Version : Simply Rugged 120 holster

Trey45
11-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Richard Gittlein hand carved Celtic pattern 120 holster, I waited a while for this one, well worth the wait.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=601&pictureid=4490
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=601&pictureid=4491
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=601&pictureid=4492

What do you guys use to preserve the leather? Any special rubs I should use. Only reason I ask is this is my 1st "really nice" holster, it took a while to get, and took a while to save up for, I'd like to keep it purdy.

Springfield
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Most good leather guys swear by Lexol. I have used it, certainly didn't hurt. As long as it doesn't get wet or exposed to excessive heat it really shouldn't take much care.

Trey45
11-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the tip, I went to a tack shop and got a jug of Lexol and a jug of neatsfoot oil.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Trey, whatever you do , don't put Neatsfoot oil on any piece of leather you own. Either give it away or pour it in the weeds. The stuff never stops oozing out of the leather and it kills the luster of the saddle, holster or whatever else you put it on. Olive oil is better and much cheaper. Lexol is good stuff.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Trey, I forgot to mention, that is a beautiful rig you have. Looks like it was worth the wait.

rdstrain
11-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Don't use anything on a holster that you would use on a pair of boots etc. to keep them soft. You will end up with a soft floppy holster. Good quality wax will give you weather protection and not soften the holster.

plmitch
11-12-2011, 05:51 AM
very nice rig there

FrankG
11-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice ! I like the carving ! Pure Neatsfoot oil and olive oil are both good for keeping the leather from drying out and cracking but the key is not to overdo it . Just wipe on a couple light coats and set it aside and let it soak in. I use a product called Tan Kote by Fiebings to put on after the Neatsfoot or Olive oil . The Lexol I believe is similar to Leathernew , a glycerin based liquid saddle soap . Both are good for keeping leather looking good , with exception to suede leather .

Ickisrulz
11-12-2011, 05:47 PM
I have read that neatsfoot oil can damage stitching and should not be used on leather products that are stitched. I don't have any experience in using it though.

I just receive a belt from Simply Rugged today. The little card that came with it recommends Lexol.

FrankG
11-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Thats true about rotting natural fiber stitching like linen stitching cord when using the Neatsfoot compound . It has something else in it and I wont use it . Only 100% pure Neatsfoot oil for me , no compounds . The 100% pure Neatsfoot oil is all natural animal based .

Trey45
11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I didn't get a card with mine, a simple oversight I'm sure, but Lexol i have, and Lexol I shall use! Thanks to everyone for the help, and the compliments, I'm mighty proud of this rig.

rintinglen
11-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Neutral shoe polish is an excellent preservative. Be sparing with any oil that you use, unless you plan on using the holster as a baseball glove, and make sure you apply even coats, to avoid streaking. I don't know what you paid for that holster, but looks like about 3 hours of carving and stamping, plus the assembly time. There's a reason why I only make them as gifts.

ravenn
07-09-2013, 11:26 PM
I've used nothing but mink oil since about '76. Boots, Shoes , belts and holsters,leather work gloves I usually use a hair dryer to open the grain of the leather a bit , then a light even coat.Aftr it dries, buff a bit. About two coats on boots and shoes per year, one on belts and holsters.
In between annual coats, neutral shoe polish.