PDA

View Full Version : Finally another score!

dk17hmr
02-15-2007, 03:26 PM
On one of my advantures yesterday I noticed a small Radiator shop not to far from campus. After class today I stopped in and the boss man was sitting there when I walked in and asked about the extra/run off, whatever the heck you call it. We walked into the shop and he said if you have a bucket you can dig all you want out of this, pointing to a 55 gal drum cut in half lenght wise with dirt and soilder chunks in it. When I asked what he had to have for it he replied nothing, I asked again before leavin and he mentions he could use some sinkers. So I got a 5 gallon bucket full of soider to be smelted, freakin thing is about 100 pounds as it sits now, going back next week to get somemore and drop off his sinkers.

Now once I get all this in ingot form, what do I do with it? Make bullets as is or mix it with some soft lead I havent smelted yet?

leftiye
02-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Sell it to me!

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
if you have wws add 2-5 percent tin to it and if you have pure the old standby 20-1 lead to tin was a good old alloy that has about dissapeared because of the price of tin.

leftiye
02-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I'd use it as 50/50, or 60/40 (ask the guy what he thinks it ends up being) solder. 1 lb Solder to 9 lbs of lead , wheelweights, lino, or whatever adds about 4-5% Tin to the mix. That's plenty of tin! Old recipes added up to 10% tin, but it's a waste of tin past 5%.

I'm sure you've seen it on this board before, - 50/50 WW/lead and maybe 2% tin makes a good low to medium velocity alloy, maybe BHN 10-12. Water drop it and it'll go as high as 16-18. For harder boolits 50/50 WW/Lino heat treats beyond 22, and needs no added tin (unless it won't cast well, or you want to toughen it up).