PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 311467 questions

bld451
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Fellas,

Lots of good knowlege on this site, so I thought I'd ask. I picked up a mold the other day, and am wondering if anyone has info on design, price, or utility in things like a 300-221, etc. I think I did well, but it was in a package deal, so I could justify it if I need to. (i.e. Really like it, so I spent retail on the ammo and got the mold for free, or gonna sell, so I have to have "X" for it to subsidize the ammo) Might sell as I don't have a need right now. Might keep if I continue ruminating on it. Lots of options. I'd hate to modify a "collectable", but thought about a large hollowpoint pin that could double as a flat point for my 30-30. Spare pin for a HP subsonic in the 300 fireball? Also, why such a deep HP? Ideas and info would be appreciated.

I saw a thread with some nice bullets cast with what looked like new larger HP pins. Nice looking bullet. Thinking conversion now, but would still like to hear more about people's experiences.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_204334eb76cd5b660d.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2623)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_204334eb76ce8ce7d5.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2624)

MT Gianni
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
The 311465, 466, 467 and 405 are all Guy Louverin designed molds. The telling features are the small lube grooves that are repeated along the bullets length. They shoot well at least all the ones I have had and I currently own 6. The original 467 had a spitzer profile. The HP that you have runs deep and appears to be all one would need for expansion in that bullet. Am I correct in the first pic that the HP pin extends to the 3rd groove from the base? I would prefer it shortened to no more than half but it does look like it would be worth experimenting with. There are member here, Buckshot for one, that could make you a duplicate pin or an adjustable for length one. I would chamber one and load on in the tube fed 30-30 and see what it does. IF it measured .155" diameter you should not need a fatter pin but squash, pumpkins and milk gallon jugs full of water can tell you that.

gnoahhh
11-07-2011, 05:08 PM
My experiences with that bullet match MT Gianni's. One of the more accurate molds I own. Mine too came with a super long HP pin when I got it maybe 30 years ago. (My God how time flies.) I cut it back to where the tip falls just below the top groove. Sadly, I haven't killed anything with it so can't attest to its attributes in that respect.

uscra112
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
That deep H.P. looks like the ones used to create a "glance-proof" cast boolit in the '30s. Cast very hard, they were supposed to shatter on impact with ground or a hard surface.

Before you modify that mold, sell it to me !

Phil

Char-Gar
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I will admit that very long hollow point pin is intriguing. I have never seen one that long. If, it is a factory hollow point pin, it would be of interest to collector.

311467 is a very fine bullet design.

bld451
11-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I'll see if I can upload better pics of the pin, but yes, it does extend 2/3 the way down the bullet to about the 2nd groove above the GC shank. It does look to be a factory pin, thus my hesitation to modify. ( it has a 13 stamped into the pin shank and also on the mold body.) I am thinking that I could sell this and subsidize a multi cavity from Accurate or NOE with the HP I'm looking for. I am reluctant to chop up truly collectible stuff if there is someone who could appreciate it while helping fund a functional piece for my habit.

mroliver77
11-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I bet that mold would bring $100. or more on ebay! They are HP crazy!
J

MT Gianni
11-08-2011, 12:52 AM
If the pin numbers match the mold number you have a factory HP. You could make up another shorter pin and try that. You may sell it for $$ but you may regret it also as the Louverin design just plain works.

10x
11-08-2011, 08:54 AM
If the pin numbers match the mold number you have a factory HP. You could make up another shorter pin and try that. You may sell it for $$ but you may regret it also as the Louverin design just plain works.

the Louverin design just plain works.
That is very eloquent understatement. I have never had a Loverin bullet that did not shoot extremely well.