PDA

View Full Version : Stress --

7br
02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
I know that everyone has rough patches in their lives, but the last couple of weeks have been a bear. Two weeks ago, my Mom's brother died. We was in his mid sixties. Got married in 1966 and started working at Dolly Madison the same year. He was still married to the same woman and working at the same company. He took a nice buck this year. The day before he died, he spent with his grand daughter at the Lyon County basketball tournemnt. He was a pretty decent guy.

We had some personel issues at the church and because I am on the Staff-Parish committee, I got to be in the middle of it. I was on the committee a couple of years ago when there was some major blood letting. Some of the people of the church are upset and we can't really explain the matter. That is dying out, but I still sting from the last time I was on the committee.

We are going through a major CAD system upgrade at work. Never fun at the best of times. The goto guy has gone native in the Six Sigma black belt program. That leaves me to catch a lot of the heavy lifting. Not a bad thing, but it does take a toll.

To top it off, I just had to stand on my porch while the police served papers on an abusive husband whose wife and kids are holed up in our basement. This is the first time in twelve years that we have had a loaded gun in the house. Last time was in a similiar situation. I wasn't planning on getting a CCW permit, but I am rethinking that position. Problem is that I don't have a good carry gun. I am thinking of a Ruger sp101 with a bobbed hammer in .38. I want something stupid simple that I won't have to think about when I need it.

Crap, I can't wait till spring. I need to burn some powder and get a chance to breathe deep.

Mean people suck.

handyrandyrc
02-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Hang in there, my friend. Good on ya for doing so well through it all. We're here and support you.

Bret4207
02-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Just keep on truckin' along. You'll get through it. What don't kill ya' makes ya stronger, they say.

Stupid simple? 12 ga pump and #4's.

Nueces
02-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Mark,

I hope talking about all that here has helped take the edge off. You are heard. Second the motion for 'Good on ya' for standing up for that scared momma and her kids. You're one of the good guys.

Mark

PatMarlin
02-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I take comfort in knowing God's in control, and tomorrow morning's a new day. I think a bite at a time's all any of us can do.

Hang in there.. :drinks:

9.3X62AL
02-15-2007, 05:39 PM
"Good on ya" for sure, Mark. Doing the right things for the right reasons is sometimes a rocky road.

I think pretty highly of the SP-101 series revolvers. My home artillery remains an 870 with #4 buckshot, however. God forbid its necessity.

SharpsShooter
02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
I had a SP101 in 357 with a 2 1/2" barrel, bobbed hammer spur and it was scary accurate. No kidding 6" steel plates at 50yds were easy fodder. They are a fine choice for CCW and home defense. A scattergun is good also, but seems unweildy in close quarters to me. A charging oponent can get past the muzzle of a shotgun far easier than a 2.5" barrel. Just my opinion.

SS

C1PNR
02-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Another "Good on Ya" with the second of the Remington 870, 18 or 20" barrel, 12 or 20 gauge, loaded with #4 buck (less likely to get out and hurt the innocent).

Any of the .38 bobbed hammer or DAO revolvers is also a good choice for those NOT highly trained in handguns.

God forbid you need either!

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Mark, looks like you have a plate full, mostly because you do the right thing. Remember to get up each morning and tell God that there's nothing He and you can't do together.

madcaster
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
7BR,
Hang in,we are praying for you!

No_1
02-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Mark B,
The big man gives us nothing we can't handle. I feel for you and the issues that give you headaches. Doing the right thing when you know the flaming spears are coming your way can be tough but it shows you are a good honorable man. Honor is what make me do the things I do and sometimes those things are difficult to accomplish. Keep strong, your reward is coming.

Robert