PDA

View Full Version : 32long rimfire cartridge ?

adrians
11-06-2011, 06:35 PM
how difficult is it to obtain ingredients to load the old 32 long rimfire cartridge?
i ask because i have a chance to get hold of a rem #4 rolling block in that cal.
if it;s gonna be a big chore then i think i will pass on the rifle even though it is a nice little rifle but i don't buy wallhangers.
thanks guys and gals,,,:evil::confused::evil:

tacklebury
11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
I've heard of some converting these to centerfire. Rimfire original brass will likely be very expensive and limited in issue. The conversion was pretty easy if memory serves, but not sure where I saw it. Maybe some others will chime in. .32 S&W would give you short or long possibly in non-rim and good capacity. ;)

Mk42gunner
11-06-2011, 09:17 PM
DGW used to sell "reloadable rimfire cartridges" they used .22 cases for the primer. It looked quite Rube Goldbergish to me, plus the cases were pretty spendy.

You have two basic choices--

1 convert to centerfire and try to find .32 Colt cases, either long or short, (more likely because WW actually made .32 Short Colts in recent memory).

2 Convert to centerfire and rechamber to .32 S&W or S&WL.

I wouldn't try to hotrod a #4, Frank deHass didn't think they were all that strong, IIRC he didn't recommend rechambering them for anything larger than the .32S&W.

Little Rolling Blocks are fun rifles, as long as you can find or make ammo for them.

Robert

geargnasher
11-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I have an original #4 in .32 Long, but the bore was rusted terribly. I converted it to .22 Rimfire by drilling the bore out to 5/16" with a 12" bit (drilled from both ends), relining it with a liner purchased from Mike Sears (I think that was his last name, I can verify if you're interested) and AcraGlas, rechambering with a .22 LR finish reamer from Brownells, and setting the barrel back and recutting the tang off-center to lower the chamber. Lowering the chamber put the smaller .22 rim back in line with the firing pin, so no block mods were necessary. I also TiG welded the ejector and filed it down to work with the .22 rim. Mine was a take down and the barrel tang was badly wallowed out or I wouldn't have messed with lowering the barrel, would have modified the block instead.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27894&d=1293080732
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27895&d=1293080763

Gear

geargnasher
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
There's also an excellent article on making ammo for the .32 Rimfires in the October Handloader, P.68, probably much more practical if this gun's bore is anywhere near decent.

adrians
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
well i still want the little rifle but i didn't realise there is so much work involved to get it to shoot ,,,i f can't find 32rf ,gear, the job you did on yours looks greart but that kind of thing is way out of my reach and skills[smilie=b: and around here in ar, i dont think any smith would know what to do (i hope i'm wrong:smile:).
i will look around for ammo but have heard of this stuff selling for $75 a box(20)[smilie=b:.
if i do buy it i will probably be sending it off somewhere to have it "converted" but i hate to do that,thus is life i guess:lol:
i got too many tree rats around here and my henry 22mag needs a break:twisted:[smilie=1::evil:
oh forgot to mention it must be a takedown it has a lever on the reciever!!!!!

Mk42gunner
11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Gear, I was wondering how your relining project turned out. It looks good in the picture, but did you crown the muzzle or leave it flat? I can't really tell.

Adrians,

The last box of Navy Arms .32 Long that I bought to use in my No 2 Rolling Block, I paid $35.00/50 for at a gunshow. I would NOT waste my money on any more of it-- nasty leading and several split cases. The rifle doesn't lead with my .32 Short Colt loads. IF you can find some of the newer old CIL it might be okay, but it is mostly in collectors hands now.

I have never had any work done by him, but I read a lot of good reviews about John Taylor's work, and he answers questions well in the gunsmithing forum. If I had lots of money I would have had him convert my No 2 instead of doing it myself.

Robert