PDA

View Full Version : had a real nice casting session today

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I wanted to get a store of boolits together for my 30-30 , so i sat down this morning with my c309-170rf mold this is just a 2 cavity mold and it has been making nice boolits but was releasing a bit hard

well after some rejects the mold warmed up and started making real nice boolits , then it got to hot and i got a few frosty ones , i slowed down and it cooled down and fell back in the groove , then i got a phone call , so i filled the pot up set the mold on top of the pot and took the call , went back to casting after about a half hour and they were coming out even better i don't recall all my interruptions but needless to say there were several calls i stopped and cleared and counted my first batch when i couldn't fit any more on the towel 178 keepers

i came back to casting having had the mold sitting across the top of the pot for 20-30 minutes and started casting , i had the rhythm down and the forward cavity started dropping bullets as i opened the mold , this mold had never done that before , the back cavity was about 2-3 raps with my stick a few came out on the first rap

i cast some with my new to me 320 r.e.a.l mold . so happy with that mold it drops them on open from the get go , i only cast 20 or so of them and they may all go back in the pot as they are of a harder alloy but i was pleased with the mold purchase from swapping and selling

so casting session part 2 i go till the towel is full again all total 409 keepers a small coffee can full

i measured them they seem to be .310 x.311 just a touch out of round but not bad i have been shooting the ones i made earlier at .310 as cast i intend to do the same as my micro groove likes them that way

409 plus what i have loaded should get me thru till spring as i cast outside and this is likely to be the last of the good weather , 45 and windy but at lease it was dry.

if i can get 409 keepers with my 2x mold in an interrupted morning casting , i can see real potential in a 6x mold , i am going to have to get me one of them soon , i think i need some pistol practice.

1Shirt
11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
A good day of casting is like a nice bright sunny day when you are not working for someone else!
1Shirt!:coffee: