PDA

View Full Version : Am I Overloading My Lyman Hawkins?

jeep
11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm shooting a Lyman Hawkins Hunter 50 cal, and I'm using a 450 grain conical bullet that I cast from a Lee mold with 70 measured grains of Pyrodex for powder. It seems to work well in the gun. My question is: The written instructions that came with the Lyman gun say the maximum charge is 100 grains of 2Fg with a 420 gr Maxi. Am I overloaded as far as the weight of the bullet compared to their bullet weight for max? Also, I've reduced my powder charge down to 70 grs because of the heavier conical bullet I'm using. I would like to increase my powder load up to 80 grs with the heavier conical bullet. Am I getting into a danger level with this gun considering the loads I want to use? How far can I push bullet weight and powder charge in this gun?

mooman76
11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd say no. You are down from the 100gr max by 30 gr and the bullet is only 30 gr heavier in fact I don't see a problem going with 80 gr or even 90 if you want. BP guns are more forgiving than smokeless.

11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Well here goes the 'weight by volume' for Pyrodex confusion thing again :(

Jeep,

Make sure you are using weighed blackpowder equivalent volume of Pyrodex... not weight of Pyrodex.

451 Pete
11-06-2011, 08:55 PM
I really don't know what you are going for here ( you didn't say ) but with this bullet and powder charge you have bettered the equivalent muzzle energy of a 45- 70 - 405 in a cartridge rifle. That should be potent enough for just about anything you would tackle hunting in North America. More powder does not mean better accuracy either .... it is normally the other way around. For hunting try and work up your most accurate load. Start at a lower powder charge of maybe 60 - 65 grains and work your way up by 5 grains equivalent at a time. I would keep my maximum powder load at least 10 grains below what they list because of the larger bullet. Keep in mind what 405 says and use volume equivalent loads if your using Pyrodex. Go for bullet placement and trust your bullet. For 100 - 125 yards you are throwing something almost twice the diameter and over double the weight of a high power .308 or 30-06. It will work.

Hope this helps ... Pete :coffeecom

Alan
11-06-2011, 11:45 PM
You will have to be a really good judge of range with that heavy bullet. You are really gonna have a loopy trajectory. What are you shooting that a PRB won't handle?

You are also going to burn up the nipple in fairly short order unless you get a platinum lined one.

waksupi
11-07-2011, 12:11 AM
You will have to be a really good judge of range with that heavy bullet. You are really gonna have a loopy trajectory. What are you shooting that a PRB won't handle?

You are also going to burn up the nipple in fairly short order unless you get a platinum lined one.

Words of wisdom.

frontier gander
11-07-2011, 02:00 AM
454gr Lee conical outta my Cabelas Hawken with 70gr Pyrodex RS and a lubed wad. The lubed wad is extremely important!

100 yards open sight.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/Cabelas%20Hawken/DSCN3084.jpg

OnHoPr
11-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I hope you are referring to measuring the Pdex to BP volume and not actual weight. I am about to test the Lee 440gr .501 in a TC Encore 209x50cal and had the same concerns, but at the 150gr by volume measurement. I'm going to start at the 70gr mark and look for accuracy on the way up, but I don't think I will go up to the 150gr mark because of the weight of the boolit is heavier than 385gr maxi's which is the max boolit weight stated in the manual. The OP has interesting concerns for me as well. The RB is a very effective boolit, but BCs of the 440gr boolit are reaching .296. I've seen RBs bounce off of trees and was considering the 440gr boolit for those 3/4" saplings that you don't see in the early morning and late evening along with possible extended range applications.

waksupi
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I hope you are referring to measuring the Pdex to BP volume and not actual weight. I am about to test the Lee 440gr .501 in a TC Encore 209x50cal and had the same concerns, but at the 150gr by volume measurement. I'm going to start at the 70gr mark and look for accuracy on the way up, but I don't think I will go up to the 150gr mark because of the weight of the boolit is heavier than 385gr maxi's which is the max boolit weight stated in the manual. The OP has interesting concerns for me as well. The RB is a very effective boolit, but BCs of the 440gr boolit are reaching .296. I've seen RBs bounce off of trees and was considering the 440gr boolit for those 3/4" saplings that you don't see in the early morning and late evening along with possible extended range applications.

Those saplings are plenty to deflect whatever bullet you are shooting. Over the years I have managed to shoot a couple small trees, under two inches while shooting at deer and bear. Total misses, for which I was thankful. The deflection would most likely be enough to make a gut shot, as the projectile will change direction enough to surely miss your intended point of aim. Experiment with it your self, set up a target about 5-10 yards behind a small sapling, and see what your point of impact is on the target.

Forgot to mention, the trees I shot were with a .338 Win Mag, with 250 gr. Bullets. Lots of BC.

missionary5155
11-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Good morning
NOt that I advise shooting through trees or saplins to hit hit a mark (unless you are packing a Browning M2).. but I remember reading some tests run some years back . 3/8" wood dowels were set up on boards in staggered rows and fired through to judge how much deflection wood obsticles can cause. High velocity (modern) cartriges had the worst deflection. It almost seemed with the increase of velocity the projectile would increase deflection equally. Slower projectiles fared much better. But the farther the target was from the wood obstructions the farther you could count on the deflection being.
Bottom line advice was... try for an opening... wood is very unperdictable as far as deflecting projectiles.
First deer I missed with an arrow was only 10 feet away below me. Nearly a straight down shot standing still. Doe was happilly munching . I swung around onto the large limb fork behind my regular facing direction from where she had come. Drew back my 50# recurve in the still half dark uder my big oak perch and let fly. Heard a strange "twick".. doe looked around and walked away. 10 minutes later I could clearly see the 1/8" limb pàrt about half way to the deer that had deflected the razor head.
Mike in Peru

Omnivore
11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Further wisdom;

Experiment with it your self, set up a target about 5-10 yards behind a small sapling, and see what your point of impact is on the target.

Don't listen to the idea of the so-called "brush busting" gun. It doesn't exist.

Well ok; if you're using 18" artillery at 100 yards on deer you may be alright hitting a twig in between, so long as you don't want any of the meat (being as you won't find any).