PDA

View Full Version : Poor man core seating die?

stealthshooter
11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Does anybody have any suggestions on a readily available reloading die that can easily be converted/used for a core seating die? I already have a point forming die using a gutted 260 remington sizing die that's working out very well. Now I need to figure out a core seating setup.

runfiverun
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
for what caliber?
if it's the 44 or so a smaller case flair die can be used, you just gotta shove the core into the case.
on many sets of swaging dies the core seater is the one that does most of the work, seating the core and swaging the lead into shape removing the air etc.
on the larger stuff it just gets it in the case and squishes it down.

stealthshooter
11-06-2011, 07:41 PM
It's for .452 caliber. Been thinking about buying a die blank and drilling it out myself but it would be much easier if there was something I could just modify.

MightyThor
11-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I would think you could use a lee push through sizer die of appropriate size and then choose a base punch and seating punch of appropriate size.

stealthshooter
11-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I would think you could use a lee push through sizer die of appropriate size and then choose a base punch and seating punch of appropriate size.

That's what I thought also but when I asked a while back I was told there would not be enough pressure applied.

runfiverun
11-09-2011, 04:45 AM
bt's 40-44 core seater would work just fine.
i am pretty sure the case mouth flair tool from a 40 set would do it also with softer lead.
your point forming tool from the other thread would easily finish the job on annealed cases.
i have used cast boolit cores similar in shape to my final bullet and have been able to one step them in the final die.
getting the set up and core weight took some trial and error [and a few pieces of bird shot]

MightyThor
11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
That's what I thought also but when I asked a while back I was told there would not be enough pressure applied.

Well, just push harder :mrgreen: For Core seating I think that you would have plenty of pressure. Worst case, you try it and it doesn't do what you want and you either have a sizer die or you sell it and start over.