PDA

View Full Version : BHP and 356402 issue

wonderwolf
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
So I have a beat up old Inglis Browning Hi Power that I've been shooting the past few years and I recently discovered a problem. I loaded a few hundred rounds of the 121gr Lyman 456402 TC bullet on top of 4.2gr of red dot and a CCI primer. No problems with the first 200 or so rounds through either my or my girlfriends BHP then I went out this weekend to shoot up the rest of the ammo before the weather turns to **** for the rest of the year and I was getting blown primers, pierced primers and bulged cases.

Now I make sure that the bullet is seated well enough into the case so as to not make a false shoulder for the case to headspace off of, and my bullets are sized right and I've pulled and weighed charges and they are all on the money at 4.2gr but the only other thing that shows a issue is the chronograph says these are going 1250FPS which is pretty fast. everything is pointing to pressure but the load isn't heavy enough to cause that.

Both guns are sound, Now I didn't try shooting it with my girlfriends gun but we did try it in another BHP and they still bulged cases and ran hot but again the pulled powder charge is 4.2gr of red dot which is what I've always been using. I shot some factory through both guns just to make sure it really wasn't bad locking lugs or something and the fired factory brass all look like they should....SO..Thoughts?

MtGun44
11-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Any chance that they are pushing back into the case a bit during feeding? This will skyrocket
pressures in a tiny case like 9mm.

Bill

wonderwolf
11-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Any chance that they are pushing back into the case a bit during feeding? This will skyrocket
pressures in a tiny case like 9mm.

Bill

I checked that as well and the bullets did not show movement at all. to test for it I loaded rounds individually