PDA

View Full Version : Help w/value on old Remmy???

Bug
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I have an opportunity at an older Remington 700. It is a SA BDL in .308 Win. I guess it is the earliest example of any I've ever seen. It is pre- Alpha character, with a 6xxx serial number. The safety is somewhat different; it is a paddle sort of affair. Overall the rifle is pretty clean with little blueing wear, but has some built-up gunk,here & there, that is probably oxidized oil/solvents (maybe WD-40?). The stock is a little rough, with some pretty good dings, and has the aluminum buttplate. It should refinish okay, though. The thing that struck me, was this rifle's action is VERY smooth. Much more so than any of the other ones I own.
An added bonus is an unusual ring & base unit (I've never seen one like it) and I like unusual. They support an older Redfield (3X9?) scope, that is very clear. It was probably bought new with the rifle.
Can anyone give me some opinions on the value - I know this will be subjective - and maybe an idea as to when this rifle might have been made? Is there a 'site where I could find out year of manuf? Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Go to www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes You should be able to find out year and month of manufacture.

The site is acting funny. The word between rsa/and barrel codes should be questions, but I can't get edit to work.

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2007, 11:29 AM
In the previous post the word between rsa and barrel codes should be questions, but I can't get edit to work today.

versifier
02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I would say $300-400. If I were doing the dickering, I would be using the stock's condition as a bargaining point in my favor, and also would not be paying extra for that "ancient scope". Try not to get any drool on it though. :mrgreen: If I were selling it, however, I would be looking to get in the neighborhood of $500, assuming there are no mechanical problems with it and the throat and crown are in good shape.

Thin Man
02-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Bug, to clean off that built up gunk (oxidized oil/solvents), I have been using Liquid Wrench. Many years ago I learned (from an auto mechanic) that kerosene is one of the all-time best solvents for defeating rust. Liquid Wrench is nothing more than kerosene with a "perfume" added to it. Both of these liquids have a penetrating effect (and smell) so it would help for you to wear rubber gloves when working with either unless you want to smell them for a few days. I have used both for a while to remove rust and other assorted crud from metal - just take your time and the problem materials can be removed. By accident, I found that the liquid wrench works extremely well in removing years of built up dried oils, dirt, crud, etc. from rifle stocks. I have not found it to attack the original oil finish of stocks, but with so many different stock finishing formulas out there, I always start with a small area first in case the finish is vulnerable. I follow up this treatment with a quality paste wax and the stock will look as good as it can. Hope this helps your rifle.
Thin Man

rmb721
02-18-2007, 07:58 PM
For year of manufacture, check: OldGuns.net Frequently Asked Questions

carpetman
02-19-2007, 12:29 AM
Bug---It is pre alpha character??? Don't understand that. The alpha character on Remingtons that I am familar with is the BLACKPOWDERX which is 12 letters and denotes month of manufacture,then there is a code for year of manufacture. I think Rem 700's came out in 1962 and this code I mention was way before that(earliest listing I have is 1921). Some years they used two letters to designate the year---it looks like from 1962 on they only used one letter and they repeat---for example J is both 1962 as well as 1989 so I don't know how you could tell which year between the two you might have.

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2007, 01:33 AM
Using the link above, I checked for a700 that I just bought. Ser No D68497XX. As it only has one letter, I assume it means it was made in 1983. Sounds about right, given the crappy impressed checkering (which is just about wore off). Am I on the right track here or am I whistling Dixie?

NVcurmudgeon
02-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Mick, the "D" mark can be september or 1983, depending where it is. For example, looking at the left side of the barrel, one of my Remingtons has a Swiss cross immediately in front of the receiver (assembly mark,) next ahead are the letters UU (year produced [1949,] and again next ahead the letter P (month produced [June].) Information from the table at www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes My other Remington is one of those made during the period 8-9-99 to 9-30-01 when they didn't code the barrels. Arrrrgh!

onceabull
02-20-2007, 02:43 PM
NvC: Bill, I thought you were lucky enough to have either a Remmie 14 or 141 trombone rifle.. 1899-1901 seems a tad early for either of those ???? :veryconfu Onceabull

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll have to have another look, I'm sure it was on the lhs of the reciever. It wouldn't have occured to me to look on theBbl for a serial No.

NVcurmudgeon
02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
NvC: Bill, I thought you were lucky enough to have either a Remmie 14 or 141 trombone rifle.. 1899-1901 seems a tad early for either of those ???? :veryconfu Onceabull

Bill, the years 99 and 01 refer to years near the RECENT turn of the century, not the turn of the century that occured when we were both in High School. I do have a 1949 manufactured M 141. The other Remington is a 700 Laminated Stainless Mountain Rifle purchased soon after retirement in 1999. It was apparently made during the August 1999 to October 2001 period when they did not date code the barrels.

NVcurmudgeon
02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I'll have to have another look, I'm sure it was on the lhs of the reciever. It wouldn't have occured to me to look on theBbl for a serial No.

Mick, serial nos. ARE on the receiver. Manufacture date codes are on the left side of the barrel. This practice applies to Remington rifles made from 1921 to the present, with the exception of August 1999 to October 2001 when they quit for some undisclosed reason.

lovedogs
02-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I doubt if this rifle is of any special value. The Model 700 only came out in about '62 if I remember right. The older safety and the rifle aren't anything rare. It may very well be a nice gun and good for hunting but I doubt it'd have any other real value, such as collecting. Where I live if it were in the shape you describe it'd maybe bring $300. I wouldn't give more than that! The old scope may also be a good one, but old used scopes are a dollar a box-full at most gun shows so I wouldn't give much for it. It probably should be thrown in with the deal due to its age and who knows how good it is or how long it'll last.

onceabull
02-20-2007, 07:23 PM
NvCurmudgeon: just to make certain that those who haven't met us understand that MY H.S. football team DID NOT play in leather headgear.!!!:mrgreen: Onceabull

Four Fingers of Death
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
We aussies played with no protection except a couple of school text books pushed down the front of our socks as shin guards. No wonder we're a bit silly at times. :D

Bug
02-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Well, Thanks, guys. Guess I don't need to say I now own it. I guess I'm just a sucker for .308s. I'm happy with the deal, anyway.

uh, LOVEDOGS: I'll take all the 700s you can supply for $300 a pop. Especially with Redfield/Leupold rings & bases, and Redfield scopes attached. Around here, an action without barrel, stock, or bottom metal will bring more than $300.

Carpetman: Sometime in the early(?) 70s, Remington started using a letter prefix in front of their serial numbers. They're stamped on the receiver. The "BLACKPOWDERX" letter stamp is on the barrel, and denotes month of manufacture. The other letter (on the barrel) tells year of manufacture - well sort of. With the mentioned caveats. See it at: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.php
Looks like this one was born March of 1965.

Thin Man: Thanks for the tip on the liq wrench. This one was pretty gunky. I tore it limb-from-limb, and cleaned everything with laquer thinner, then re-lubed to my liking.
The bore wasn't near as dirty as I expected, and had very little copper fouling. Maybe it will shoot. I did a deal today, so this thing might get reincarnated as a 7mm BR. We'll just have to see. I've 4-5 different factory loads and some homegrown to try at the first opportunity.

Y'all wish me luck!

carpetman
02-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Bug---The info in the link you posted conflicts with the info I have. The link says 1921-1972 only. My chart goes through 2001 and most likely it ended there as thats probably when my book was written. My reference did not mention the BLACKPOWDERX being in conjunction with the serial number. I do know Ive seen the markings that I described on later than 1972 models. Guess it's no big deal as pre or post 1964 didnt make any difference in Remingtons.

Four Fingers of Death
02-22-2007, 02:24 AM
One good thing about the 700s is that the actions are worth a bit anyway and can be used to make a sweet accurate rifle. I have lots of friends with lots of accurate custom Remingtons, very popular. This one will be my first 700 and it will be used as a Sambar rifle and will be carried in the bush a lot and shot occasionally (which seems to be how it has been used so far). I will give it a rust blue as the blueing is thin and a stock re-finish if I get time. I will probably just clean it and use it the way I'm going lately.

Mick.