PDA

View Full Version : New Handi Rifle in 500 S&W - Some woes

mpkunz
11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
The gun is fine. I threaded it up for my suppressor. Lotsa fun for busting up old cement blox with cast lead. Can't wait to try it on deer in a couple weeks.

I'm finding that everything about this round is just a tad bigger than I was expecting. My reloading tray for instance. Cannot place charged cases in it as the rim is too large. Which has led to a change in my reloading routine. Since I cannot set up cases and inspect before putting bullets in, I decided to charge them then seat the bullets. One at a time. What could be better ? In my newness, I failed to charge two cases.

So when this happens what does a guy do ? Pull the bullet and back a couple steps. Except not only is the tray too small, my kinetic bullet puller is also too small. The rounds I need to pull will not fit.

Anyone working with this round found a bullet puller ? John Ross maybe ? You have a ton of 500 S&W stuff posted. You found a puller ? Oh, also, before I go and make them, how about trays ? Anyone ?

singleshot
11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Look for a tray that will fit, anything that fits a 7.62x54r should also fit a 500 S&W...other than that, my kinetic puller works with 7.62x54r, why doesn't the 500 fit? What about it is too big?

DIRT Farmer
11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Place the dud in the shell holder in the press, run it to the top, grab the slug with anything that will hold it. I use wire stripper pliers. when you raise the handle the slug slides out.

Beagler
11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I love my 500 handi. Took off sights. Put on high rings and nikon sluggun scope. Found new take off high comb stock and forend on ebay that came off a heavy barreled .223 handi. Slapped it on. At least when you fill the case you don't need the funnel.

bubba.50
11-07-2011, 01:33 AM
try a number 9 loading tray from midway. they worked with my 50-70.

if ya can't find one there try buffalo arms.

MGySgt
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM
MTM Shot Shell reloading tray - I have 2 of them .

Take a case with you to the Reloading store - try the 20 guage, if that don't fit try the 16 guage one.

camotruck
11-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Place the dud in the shell holder in the press, run it to the top, grab the slug with anything that will hold it. I use wire stripper pliers. when you raise the handle the slug slides out.

What a great idea, thinking outside the box I like it and Ill be saving it for my next F up.

Freightman
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I made my 45/70 loading blocks from a 18" piece of 2x4 and used a Fostner bit from Harbor Freight. Get a set and about $9 and you can make all the loading blocks you want for picking up a piece of 2x4.

Whiterabbit
11-08-2011, 11:35 PM
I use the plastic trays hornady ammo comes in for loading 460. Doesn't fit in standard loading trays either.

They are free, which is always a plus.

Jared
11-12-2011, 10:59 AM
My RCBS puller works fine with my .500 Linebaugh. I just replace the 3 peice jaw with a shell holder and screw the cap down. I have pulled several bullets that way.

For loading blocks I use the caliber specific blocks from Midway. .45-70 blocks work great. If you are not familiar with the .500 linebaugh it uses a .512" bullet and the case is based on a .348 Winchester case. it's rim and body is a little larger in diameter than the .500 S&W.