PDA

View Full Version : wolf primers

siamese4570
11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I recently sent my 44 ruger redhawk back to ruger for repair. Came back good as new including the factory trigger/hammer spring. I replaced it with one of the wolf trigger springs. Loaded a bunch of the 260 gr keith boolots and 8.5 gr of unique and headed for the range. worked great in single action mode but misfired regularly in double action mode. I used the russian made wolf large pistol primers. Anybody had any bad experiences with wolf primers being hard to ignite?

siamese4570

Moondawg
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I have had occasional FTF in a couple of my revolvers with reduced power mainsprings using Wolf SP primers, when shooting double action. They always go bang on single action. BUT, the same two revolvers have FTF with winchester and CCI primers. Normally, I use federal primers for those revolvers. I have shot thousands of rounds through my semi-autos with both Wolf SP and LP primers, without a single FTF. I have never had a FTF with a Wolf primer where I was using a factory mainspring. I like them. When chronographing with Wolf primers I get consistent readings which indicate that the primers are consistent. I recommend them, with the provision that Wolf pistol primer cups are probably harder than Federals, but no worse than Winchester or CCI.

starreloader
11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I've never had a FTF using Wolf Primers... In the last 3 years I've went through 100K+ with no problems at all... All of my auto pistols and revolvers have standard factory mainsprings... Before the Wolf Primers came around I never used any other primer except Winchester... For my money the Wolfs are every bit as good as the Winchesters.

frnkeore
11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I've had good results with Wolf primers in everything I've used them in. I too, have a Redhawk that I put a reduced tension spring in. I can't get any primer to fire reliably in it, single or double action. I believe that the firing pin is a little short on the Redhawks and they need a little eneria to fire reliably.

Frank

waksupi
11-06-2011, 06:36 PM
I tried the lighter springs in my old Redhawk. Lots of FTF's. Went back to the original spring, no problem.

softpoint
11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
It is a common problem with Redhawks. Lightening the hammer spring will almost always result in some misfires in double action mode with some primers. Some even have this problem with the factory spring. I usually just polish the trigger surface, and leave the spring alone. If the factory spring still does this, install a slightly longer firing pin. Using Federal standard large pistol primers has cured the problem in some guns. :smile:

John Boy
11-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I replaced it with one of the wolf trigger springs.
What was the foot lbs of the hammer before and after the installation of the Wolf hammer spring? I have a couple of '58 Remingtons with 5.14 pounds ... a 46% and 6.08 pounds ... 15% lighter reductions that ignite CCI primers in conversion cylinders - every time. And CCI primers are harder than a woodpecker's nose

Trigger Pulls:
4.12 pounds ... 26% lighter
4.28 pounds ... 17% Reduction

Would offer the Wolf primers are not the issue - the hammer spring is

softpoint
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
What was the foot lbs of the hammer before and after the installation of the Wolf hammer spring? I have a couple of '58 Remingtons with 5.14 pounds ... a 46% and 6.08 pounds ... 15% lighter reductions that ignite CCI primers in conversion cylinders - every time. And CCI primers are harder than a woodpecker's nose

Trigger Pulls:
4.12 pounds ... 26% lighter
4.28 pounds ... 17% Reduction

Would offer the Wolf primers are not the issue - the hammer spring is

It is most likely the spring. Redhawks design is slightly different than the GP100 and Super Redhawk. The spring operates at a more severe disadvantage on the hammer, and any lightening at all will usually give trouble. I don't know how hard the cups are on Wolf primers, although I use them in large rifle loads. The Federal have had the reputation for having slightly softer cups than some of the others, so they might be worth a try if he wants to leave the reduced power spring in.:popcorn: