PDA

View Full Version : One Ragged Hole sights

rvpilot76
02-15-2007, 01:01 AM
The good, bad, and the ugly, please. I have a ghost ring on my Springfield XD and I love it. Just looking for some first-hand experience with this brand.

Kevin

45nut
02-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I have one on my BFR,,,got the blades from a fellow shoter that had them on a short 45 ruger. My bfr has a 10" barrel and the front sight just really self centers in the rear blade for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0469.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0476.jpg

The gun..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/100_0584w.jpg

PatMarlin
02-15-2007, 01:38 AM
I think it's a pretty decent sight. I've got one on my 94 carbine in 45colt, and I didn't want to put a tang sight on it, but it's a step up from the buckhorns.

I wish they offered it blue instead of the phosphate.

PatMarlin
02-15-2007, 01:48 AM
You actually shoot that thang 45?.. :mrgreen:

That sight looks like it may work on my 454 Raging Bull.

Bass Ackward
02-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I know that peeps on a handgun aren't supposed to practical, but the effect is the exact same for me as on a rifle. Best $25 add on I ever spent.

Diamond-City-Bob
02-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Put som on my Blackhawk, (.45 Colt) Love 'em

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2007, 09:04 AM
sorry guys but there not a percise enough sight for me for a handgun. There great fast aquistion sights on a rifle but there to imprecise and fragile on a handgun but thats just my opinion

44man
02-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I have to wonder about that sight with old eyes. I think it would just blur away for mine. Might be great for hunting with younger eyes. I agree with Lloyd in that they might not be the best for extreme accuracy work.
I like the red dots for all around use even though they are hard to shoot groups with. I was even able to hit a buck on a dead run with it. I shot at this deer standing and he took off, I hit him again but it wasn't needed. The first shot took out his heart with my SBH. I know for a fact that I could not have done that with any other sight.
The Ghost Ring is going to be a very personal sight, some will love it, some will not.

redneckdan
02-15-2007, 10:02 AM
i've never had a problem shootng groups with my red dot. I actually shoot better with the dot than irons.

Bass Ackward
02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
In truth, I can AIM blades better. I can AIM English sights even better yet. But everything has to be right in the way of the correct amount of light or light angle and target shape.

And everything has to be aimed. You don't .... AIM this sight. You just put that blade on target and squeeze.

When you look at what a handgun was supposed to be for, these are the fastest, most precision "open sight", for use any time of day or at any sun angle, in the open or in shadow, you will ever run into for direct POA use. They have limits if you want to .... aim .... and they aren't worth much if you want to shoot long range. These are strictly, dare I say it, handgun sights.

Diamond-City-Bob
02-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I noticed quite some time ago that the quality firearms manufactures were putting into their front sights had plain gone to hell. How someone can get a fuzzy finish on steel is beyond me, but they do manage it. I've found that with the one ragged hole sight that if I focus on the front sight it's still fuzzy but I hit my target, clay pigeons at 25 yards I just don't miss. gallon milk jugs at 100 yards, well I scare the poop out of them and get enough hits to impress the heck out of much younger shooters. That said, they are not precise enough for me to shoot groups. For that I need a scope or a dot. For plinking and hunting you betcha! They are fast, but if you "ride the sights" they don't work so well.

PatMarlin
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Speaking of sights...

Check this out. Scope piggback mount. Perfect for my scoped 358 Winny, that I doesn't have iron sights.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

Would love to have that sight on my Bull.

nighthunter
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I have the One Ragged Hole sights on 2 different handguns at the present time. All I can say about them is that they are fantastic. I don't know just what some people expect from open sights on a handgun. I do know that what I am experiencing on a Ruger 44 Mag with a 5 1/2 inch barrel is a lot better than what the factory sights offered. These sights are some of the best I have ever used. The human eye automatically centers on a circle. Ingenious huh?? Put the front sight in the middle and you are good to go. In my opinion the One Ragged Hole sight has a whole lot to offer.
Nighthunter

44man
02-15-2007, 04:26 PM
But Bass and Diamond, I'm not sure my gun has a front sight! Oh, yeah, it's there, had to back off 10 feet to see it.
It is amazing how fast vision goes. I used to be able to focus the rear sight, front sight AND the 200 meter ram. I could see a woodchuck at better then 500 yd's. Now I am not sure the ram is there any more.
I think it is from wearing glasses, eyes get dependent on them.
Bad thing about me shooting groups with the red dot is the dot is fuzzy. I do get good ones but am sure it would be better if there was some way to focus a red dot. At least a scope can be focused but most handgun scopes are just too dark for hunting early and late because old eyes need more light.
Strange because my eyes adjust fast from light to dark and I still walk to my stands in the dark without a light.
OOPS, thats different, use the rods for night and can't see with the cones which are in the center.

Bass Ackward
02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
But Bass and Diamond, I'm not sure my gun has a front sight! Oh, yeah, it's there, had to back off 10 feet to see it.
It is amazing how fast vision goes. I used to be able to focus the rear sight, front sight AND the 200 meter ram. I could see a woodchuck at better then 500 yd's. Now I am not sure the ram is there any more.
I think it is from wearing glasses, eyes get dependent on them.
Bad thing about me shooting groups with the red dot is the dot is fuzzy. I do get good ones but am sure it would be better if there was some way to focus a red dot. At least a scope can be focused but most handgun scopes are just too dark for hunting early and late because old eyes need more light.
Strange because my eyes adjust fast from light to dark and I still walk to my stands in the dark without a light.
OOPS, thats different, use the rods for night and can't see with the cones which are in the center.

Seeing IS believing. I think I have a spare large blade if you would like to try it out. Ships for a postage stamp iffin I can find it. All you lose is your sight settings

rvpilot76
02-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Well, that does it! I'm ordering the sights. I knew I liked the ghost ring; just needed confirmation on the quality of the product. Realize that all sights in the rear are fuzzy. How do you level the top of the front sight when the rear is not clearly defined? At least with the ghost ring, you don't have to level and/or try to define the what is the top of the rear sight with the front. This is why I love the rear ghost.

Kevin

44man
02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Bass, with the red dots, I just remove the front sights on those that screw on. They just catch on stuff when hunting because I sling my revolvers while still hunting.
One thing I really hate is having to wear glasses when hunting so I leave them home. Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.
You would think with all the advances that they would come up with an injection to soften the lens again.

45 2.1
02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.

Not very well, but a big billed hat or a large hood does a fair job.

Bass Ackward
02-16-2007, 12:45 PM
One thing I really hate is having to wear glasses when hunting so I leave them home. Rain or snow on glasses drives me nuts and I don't know how people that have to wear them all the time do it.

No criticism, your option. Something gets us all, if it ain't vision, it's arthritis.

I did find the blade, so the offer to try it applies to you or anyone else. They give you two sizes. While the larger one might be practical for hunting, it IS .... too large to work with on paper for me anyway. But you can get the visual effect to see if it worked. As usual, I think one size right smack in the middle of what they make would be perfection.

Never really thought about WHY .... I .... feel so strongly about these sights until this thread. They have put .... FUN .... back into gunnin for me.

What these sights do for you is get you to realize that you don't have to aim all the time. In our quest to be precision on targets, we become .... ruined for fast work waiting for that perfect aim / shot.

When I was younger and shooting all the time, I gradually gained confidence to attempt to make TV type shots. When I attempted them, eventually I learned how to make them. But you had to develop .... "the feel" to do it. And it took practice to maintain that proficiency. These sights eliminate a lot of that. Don't think that I am telling you you will start shooting the center out of quarters you throw up in the air. That still takes practice. I snap shoot snakes and turtles today like I haven't for 30 years. And I am quickly gaining the confidence to .... attempt more again. And guess what, it's FUN!

The first deer I got this year was gone with conventional sights. To tell you the truth, I startled him and he me as we saw each other at the same time. I actually shot without a concentrated effort to aim. Threw the gun up and the shot couldn't have been aimed any better. Whole thing happened in so quick it seemed like slow motion.

Suit yourself on the blade offer. There are some days here where a scope would be useless anyway. But when I tried to be serious with a red dot for awhile last year, I still had a "fun gun" handy. :grin:

PatMarlin
02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
John-

What are those blades made for? Will it work on my Raging Bull?

PatMarlin
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Like to try it if it will work. Here's some pics of my sight...

Shuz
02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Folks--A friend gave me one of those "One Ragged Hole" sights and I installed it on a KS458N Ruger. My take is that it "acquires easily" but is not accurate for target or sillywet use. I still shoot that gun occassionally, but I've come to prefer the Hi-Viz type front sight. It is not as good for target or sillywet use as a Patridge either, but I find it easier than the "Ragged Hole" sight.--Shuz

Diamond-City-Bob
02-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Never really thought about WHY .... I .... feel so strongly about these sights until this thread. They have put .... FUN .... back into gunnin for me.

Just Right!
Bob

Bass Ackward
02-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Like to try it if it will work. Here's some pics of my sight...

Pat,

Sorry. Won't work.

Hey Pat. Inquiring minds want to know. When you only put one round in the cylinder, doesn't it always rotate the loaded chamber to the bottom where it won't fire?

:bigsmyl2:

45r
02-16-2007, 05:48 PM
I like a fiber optic round top blade up front and V-notch express type rear sight.For hunting I like aimpoints or holosight.I had anti-glare coating put on my presription glasses and that helped quite a bit with the fuzziness with dots.Now that I have to wear glasses I am using dot sights the most when I hunt with a handgun.I look over the glasses if I'm using iron sights as my near vision is still good.I know where your coming from 44man,I wish I could see like I used to.I had very good eyes when I was younger and now that I'm in my 50's its getting harder to shoot as good as I want to.I'm thinking about lazik surgery or something.Having to wear glasses the past few years has made me realize how lucky I was not to need them in the past.The ghost ring set looks interesting but I'd have to try them out on somebody else's gun before I'd buy.I get enough peep sight use having to look through one on my bow and they don't work all that good when it gets dark but gives me a consistant anchor and that is needed in archery and I've harvested more bucks with a bow than guns and too old to change now.Fiber optics came in the nick of time for me.

44 magnum
02-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I have a set of the One Ragged Hole blades. The smaller one resides on the Single Six and the larger on the Redhawk. Both revolvers have a fiber optic front sight. So far so good. I can aquire a good sight picture. Havent shot them enuf yet to evaluate accuracy. But they do appear quite rugged. The blade is just as beefy as the factory blade I removed.

Paul :cool:

PatMarlin
02-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Pat,

Sorry. Won't work.

Hey Pat. Inquiring minds want to know. When you only put one round in the cylinder, doesn't it always rotate the loaded chamber to the bottom where it won't fire?

:bigsmyl2:

Leave it to you to point something out like that.. :roll: :mrgreen:

We'll yes they are a little Backwards down in SA, but they make one fine heck of a hand cannon.. :drinks:

carpetman
02-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I have not seen the One Hole Sight,but it appears to be a peep or ghost ring. Most old geezers would like them. If you wear bifocals/reading glasses(If 40 thereabouts or more,most likely you do or need to)find some print you cant read with naked eye. Curl your index finger real tight so that it makes a small hole. Put that small hole against your eye and look through it and you can now read the print with your naked eye. That small hole forces your eye to focus--something it has lost the ability to do--thus the glasses needed. I was having real good luck with peep sight on my Sheridan and got the smallest aperture they made. Worked well for several years and then in past year or two,couldn't use that small a peep and had to move to larger aperture. If you wear bifocals,switching to progressive lens will drive you crazy for a couple weeks,but in my case it was worth the effort to adapt to them. From the name would seem Starmetal invented these sights.

tommyn
02-18-2007, 03:20 PM
I would love to find a fiber optic front site for my Super blackhawk max.