PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911

PacMan
11-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Trying to scrape together enough funds for another 1911. This will be the last one and will part with a couple of others to help fund the new one. The old Colt Comander that has never failed in almost 20 years with anything that it has been fed and will never leave me but a Kimber and Springfield will go.

What i am looking for is a gunthat is built with reliability and accuracy held to the same standards. No race guns just nice classic lines.

What do you guys suggest?
Thanks
Dwight

41 mag fan
11-06-2011, 07:32 AM
What price you looking to spend?
You're getting rid of the Kimber and Springfield?
Next step up in quality would be a Les Baer or Nightforce.

Maybe building one would be the way to go?

Lloyd Smale
11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
check out a sti trojan. I had one in 9mm and it was one of the smoothest and best shooting 1911s ive ever owned. Other then that id go right back to kimber and springfield with me personaly prefering a kimber but look at there higher end guns instead of there entry level guns. Ive got a gold match kimber and two cdps and there in my opinion about as good as it gets. In a springfield check out the trp. Ive shot a few and there great guns. Guys might argue that a les baer or wilson or something in that price range is better but as good as my kimbers run and as well as they shoot i just cant justify another grand for what your gaining. If the nim parts in a kimber scare you and personaly i think that is very overrated as none of them have given me trouble, you can for a couple hundred bucks replace them and still be well under what one of the semi custom manufactures charge for a gun. Im one that preaches you get what you pay for in guns and optics but two exceptions i make are 1911s and Ar15s. I just cant see spending 2k on either when for half that you can get a great gun.

bigdog454
11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
High Standard make a really nice 1911.

tbird1960
11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
If you get a chance look at the Remington 1911 in the green case. It is the best value as far as I am concerned.

Ragnarok
11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
I own a Remington R1 myself and like it. Other 1911 pistols in my inventory include a Springfield Milspec..and a Sistema Colt 1927..all good guns.

Another 1911 style pistol I own that's impressive..the Ballester Molina. It ain't a 1911 like it's Argentine sister the Sistema Colt..but it uses 1911 mags..and is a superb shooter.

ColColt
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Some complain about the external extractor on S&W 1911's but I have one and can attest they are superbly accurate and in my experience, just as if not more reliable than the Colt and it's clones with the internal extractor. You may want to look at a number of them on S&W's website.

If I were looking for a 1911 today, I'd pick either the S&W or a Colt model.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3781b.jpg

drklynoon
11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
This goes against alot of peoples ideas but if I were to buy another 1911 I would get a Rock Island. My dad has one and it out performs my Kimber in alot of ways. It jams less with SWC and is actually more acurate. The sights are kinda terrible but the gun works like a champ and you can't beat the price.

MtGun44
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Lots of good choices out there today in a 1911. Ruger, Remington are notable ones that
are 'new boys on the block' as far as 1911s are concerned but are making decent guns at
a reasonable price by all reports. As you want more features, there are a lot of players that
are offering the dressed up versions, all the way up to the semi-custom guns that Dan
Wesson makes, and on to the really high bux Baer, Wilson, NightHawk, etc.

These are really the golden years of 1911 guns, after 100 years in production. Enough
variations that everyone can get pretty much what they want.

Pretty amazing.

Bill

Markbo
11-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I have not tried them all so I can't recommend them all. My personal preference is Kimber because I have a few of them and every one is a great 1911. My Springfield V10 is an awesome smaller version though not as accurate as my Kimbers.

I have built a few from Rock Island frames and they took quite a bit of fitting & work. Don't think I would have another. I think my next might be a Ruger just because it has a lot of the right stuff at a great price. I don't NEED a high dollar 1911 like an STI or Les Baer though I don't think you could go wrong on one of those if you tried.

I can relate one experience about S&W. I do not know why, but the ONE example I shot I noticed I held it differently. It pointed low in my hand. Can't explan it. Flat housing, standard grips... all the same as I am used to. It just pointed and thus shot low from where I thought it should. Your mileage may vary.

MtGun44
11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
If you can stand the price, the Dan Wesson is the absolute equal of the best out there for
$1000 less or even more, depending on the models. I have a Pointman 7 and have handled
a substantial number of different models at the gun shop and that friends own. 100% were
literally perfectly fitted, with a just right trigger pull.

Bill

jh45gun
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Interesting I thought Kimber's and Springfield's were good guns?

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2011, 06:39 AM
its mostly the kimber guns with external extractors that got the bad rap. I havent heard anything bad about the smith guns. I know alot of the kimbers didnt run right but funny thing is i have a commarder sized pro carry with an external extractor and its been so reliable that its become my go to carry gun. I had some problems with it at first and sent it back to kimber and since it returned id guess i have about 20k through it and cant recall even one burp. Its every bit as realiable as any of my internal extractor guns. I know that if i send it back again to kimber they will replace the slide with an internal extractor slide but it runs so good as is im not about to gamble on changing it. By the way my buddy has a smith commander sized gun and its a real sweatheart. Ive hit him up many times to sell or trade it to me.
Some complain about the external extractor on S&W 1911's but I have one and can attest they are superbly accurate and in my experience, just as if not more reliable than the Colt and it's clones with the internal extractor. You may want to look at a number of them on S&W's website.

If I were looking for a 1911 today, I'd pick either the S&W or a Colt model.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3781b.jpg

PacMan
11-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Interesting I thought Kimber's and Springfield's were good guns?

Yes they are good guns mostly. The Springfield is stainless and for the most part does alright but has never been 100%. The Kimber has a 3in barrel and carries good enough but still after many rounds will not shoot some ammo 100%. My Comander has never since day one missed a beat so if i want to carry a auto that is the one i carry.
Most of the time i carry a revolver so i am not looking for a carry gun. Really looking for a 5in classic lines with adjustable sights for target shooting but it has to be reliable as well as accurate.
Hey guys thanks for the replies and info.I have a lot to think about before i make a decission.

41 mag fan
11-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Hey Dwight,
Guess the one piece of advice anyone could and can give....it was given to me once long time ago.
Think of it like you're getting ready to buy a new vehicle. You already know, being new, it's going to drive and run good. But..how does it feel when you sit in the seats? Are you comfortable or very uncomfortable and awkward feeling?
If you're comfortable, you'll have no complaints and wont mind driving it. If you're uncomfortable, you'll only own it long enough to trade off for something else.
Kind of like a 1911.....it fits you're hand like a glove, you'll shoot it alot. Feels awkward in your hand...you'll be looking at trading off pretty quick

sqlbullet
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Sub $500, ATI would be my choice right now.

Over $500, Dan Wesson.

FN in MT
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/montanaguy375/FNsWILSON.jpg

Looking for the BEST? Take a look at Wilson this is the CQB model. Shoots 1.5"- 2" at 25 yds with good ammo. I've had it for an entire IDPA season and with 2500 rds down the barrel not a single hiccup yet.

Nighthawk is good, so is Les Baer.

I've also got an Ed Brown, but a Commander sized gun. The EB has only sevral hundred rds through it, but has proven so far to be 100% reliable.

FN in MT

Roundnoser
11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
I have a Colt 80 Series LW Commander, a Springfield TRP, and a Les Baer Premier II. They are all great pistols in their own rite. However, the Baer is by far the most accurate 1911 I have ever shot.

My Groups with the Baer at 25 yards (freehand) are 2 inches with careful aim. The TRP prints 4 inch groups at the same distance.

The price on a Baer Premier II is around $1,700. The blued finish isn't the best on the market, but I assure you that once you shoot it, you'll be impressed. IMO, it was worth the money....I'm glad a purchased it.

PacMan
11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Roundnoser that is some good shooting off hand. I have looked at the Baer guns.Really did not know that you could get onr for that price.
Thanks guys

Ausglock
11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
G'Day.
For a good cheap 1911 45ACP. it is hard to go past the Para GI Expert.
It is well made and accurate.
I have a Kimber Stainless Target II in 38 Super.

I bought the Para and it was 1/2 the cost of a kimber.
The Para runs like a clock after the 500 round breakin period.

Roundnoser
11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Roundnoser that is some good shooting off hand. I have looked at the Baer guns.Really did not know that you could get onr for that price.
Thanks guys

Dwight,

I shoot with 2 hands, unsupported. -- I consider myself to be a good shot, but not a bullseye shooter by any means. But, I was not joking about the 2" at 25 yds! -- It might sound silly, but the Baer makes it easy to shoot accurately. That's the truth! It is definately more accurate than I will every be!

If you lived near, I'd be happy to let you shoot a few hundred rounds out of it. I think you would be impressed. Check out this forum for everything you'd want to know about 1911's:
http://forums.1911forum.com/

vmthtr
11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
I have a Springfield Champion and Dad has a GI 45. Both are very reliable and mine is more accurate. Money no object I would get the Baer.

shovel80
11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Ausglcok...How's that Kimber .38 Super? I came Real Close to buying one last year..and ended up buying a Used Colt in that same Caliber..

Terry

ColColt
11-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I have this coming about Tuesday...can't wait to try it out. If it's nearly as good as my other SW1911 it'll be a clear winner and lighter if I want to carry.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/SW1911SCSeriesE.jpg

hiram1
11-19-2011, 05:06 PM
external extractor on S&W 1911's---you have to keep them clean that is all

parisite
11-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Dan Wesson would be my choice.........hands down.

sqlbullet
11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Dan Wesson would be my choice.........hands down.

Matter of fact, since the Razorback is coming back next year in 10mm, I will be acting on this.

MtGun44
11-20-2011, 11:22 PM
+1 on DW 1911. Top quality, more reasonable price than most of their actual competition.
Springfield, Kimber, Colt, etc are NOT their competition - Baer, Wilson, etc are.

Bill