PDA

View Full Version : Converting a T/C from percussion to flint

Alan
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Hey guys!

I'm wondering if it is feasible to get a GM drop-in barrel for a T/C hawken, and an aftermarket flint lock to convert a percussion to flint.

Thanks,

Alan

roverboy
11-06-2011, 08:41 AM
It should be doable. A friend of mine was gonna try the same thing. I've not seen him in a while and don't know if he got it done or not. GM might even have a drop in barrel already set up for flint.

Good Cheer
11-06-2011, 08:55 AM
L&R makes flinter locks (right hand only) to fit TC's with a little inletting.
The GM barrel may be harder to find.

Maven
11-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Alan, 15/16" drop-in (T/C) flintlock bbls. are available from Green Mtn., but they are "backorder only" items.

Alan
11-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Probably won't save me much at all. I have several T/C's that I picked up cheap, but they are all percussion. And when I say cheap, I mean cheap. I got a .54 Hawken that looks unfired for $175, and various other renegades and hawkens that I have $100-$125 in. 2-3 years ago you could buy them cheap enough to make a picket fence from. I should have latched on to a flinter then I guess, but I was sticking to percussion at that time.

mooman76
11-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I converted an old CVA some years back. I replaced the lock and removed the powder drum. Replaced the drum with a liner for the flint. I actually had to make the liner cause I couldn't find one with the right threads. It worked fine but I'm far from an expert when it flinters.

wgr
11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
i know you can covert to a mule ear with a drop in lock not sure about a flinter

MBTcustom
11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
As it happens, I just asked the feller at the muzzle loader shop if this was possible to do on a percussion T/C. He flipped through a few books and told me that it was possible but would cost a bit of $$$ to get it going. He said that the best thing to do would be to buy a new lock and barrel and use the old stock, of course by then you are looking at about $600. Too rich for my blood. He said that the advantage is that I would have a custom built rifle that I know would be accurate. The disadvantage is that I could probably pick up a used one for a lot less, and it might have a decent barrel on it.