PDA

View Full Version : No more free range.

MBTcustom
11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Folks, today was a pretty lousy day. First, I went to the shooting range to try out my early Christmas present (T/C Hawken) that the wife bought me. I made it all the way there (20 minute drive) and had to wait for an hour and a half to get a bench because they were so full. I shot there all summer and never had much problem but this is hunting season. Ah yes, all summer, time after time going to the range, swapping stories with the range master etc. Well, I realized that I had forgoten to bring the pillow ticking with me to use for wadding. :shock: so I called my belovded wifey and asked her to wake my daughter up and bring me the makings so I dont waste the $5 range fee and another 2 hours it would take to go home, drive back, pay again, wait again, and start over. Well she made the drive, and I got busy shooting. Well she walked up behind me, and told me that she was going home and to have a good time. I told her that she should sit down and shoot it once before she leaves and thanked her for going so far out of her way to come help me. Well, she got exited and started to move around the bench and one of the range masters stooges came up behind and told us that she couldn't shoot unless she paid. I asked the guy if he was kidding, and he said that the range master sent him. "She cant shoot one shot?" I asked him. "Nope, range rules" he said. To say that I was P.O.ed is an understatement. I fired that shot into the backstop and hauled my ****e back out to the truck then and there.
But wait it gets better!
I decided that the range master could suck wax fruit and I would just go out to the country range that I have been going to since I was a teen. When I got there though, it had a big ditch dug in front of it with a "no trespassing" sign in front of it. :(:groner::(
I cant believe it is over. I cant believe that there is no where left that you can just drive up and start shooting for free. I cant believe that I am going to be telling my kids stories about how free things were when I was a kid. It feels like I have to pay to breath.
I hate rules! I hate politicians! I hate people who push their agendas on others. And I am afraid, that by the time I am my fathers age, I will hate this country too. By then, Coffee will probably be a controlled substance that "rebels" indulge in.

jcwit
11-05-2011, 10:00 PM
And they try to tell me that "The Good Old Days" weren't really that good after all.

Ya, Right!

ElDorado
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
I know some of the BLM land that I used to shoot at now have "no shooting unless you're hunting" rules in place. It's a real disappointment, so I know what you're talking about.

The national forests still allow it, though. I rarely go to the "pay to shoot" range, even though it's close by.

Check around for some public land - national forests or Bureau of Land Management recreation areas are what we have out here. There's nothing like being your own range officer.

Boolseye
11-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that, man. I hope you find yourself a good spot to shoot where nobody's breathin' down your neck. Everyone should have that.
-jp

Beagler
11-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I had a 50 to 500 yard range 5min from my house growing up. Was friends with the owners and there son. I shot there since I could hold a gun. Stopped going there when I was 20. Its was great until all the city folk found out about the place and swarmed in by the truck load. AR-15's AK-47's getting full mags buzzed through in seconds. It was a war zone!! I used to own the Ar's and all the fun stuff not against them, but when your trying to shoot a nice group and the ******* next to you is spraying you with hot brass its not fun. Not to mention all the self appointed want to be range masters. Carrying my guns still in cases to my bench and they are telling me I cant do that while people are down range. I told them to go f themselves. The owner who I've known since i was little asked what the problem was. The ******* made a huge fuss turning a mole hill into a mountain. I was told to leave!!!! A week later I saw the owner in town and asked what that was all about. He told me he was making alot of money off those guys and didn't want them to be bothered. Never went there again!!! the real kicker is not even six months later he got shut down because of all the extra noise that was being made and the township breathing down his neck.

wallenba
11-05-2011, 10:32 PM
When I was 16 I could drive 6 miles to the edge of town on a two lane road, and be in farmland and state land. I live in the same town today. Today there is no edge of town, just new towns and subdivisions clear across the county, connected by 4 lane roads (with a fifth left turn lane). There are no more places to shoot like you had here either. But in a community just south of me, I can hear gunshots as I drive by. They are not target shooting.

3006guns
11-06-2011, 12:10 AM
For all my whining about California and it's laws, I'm lucky. I'm a member of the very informal range less than five miles from my house. If I want to experience complete freedom the Nevada border is less than a half hour away. Almost all BLM high desert with no people, so nobody cares.

leadman
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Here in AZ it is also getting difficult to find a place to shoot away from things. BLM is proposing to eleminate target shooting on most of their land south of Phoenix.

The other part of the equation is the terrible mess that people leave out in the desert after they are done shooting. They brought the stuff in, they should haul it out!! There is one area you could probably fill several 10 yard dump trucks with the debris.

white eagle
11-06-2011, 12:39 AM
I have my own range .....
however I do have my share of idiots as well

Dale53
11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Bad behavior by some of our fellow "shooters" will continue to get ranges closed. Start taking names, license plates, and report people who leave **** on BLM lands and private ranges. If we don't help with the problem, then we become part of the problem.

In 1954 I joined a fledgling gun club and helped build it into one of the finest facilities around. When I joined, the membership dues were $3.50 per year. Now it is $100.00 per year (inflation) but would be a bargain at twice the price.

Land has become quite expensive close to town. However, with the fall in property values, there may still be some affordable land available.

FWIW
Dale53

Storydude
11-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Here in AZ it is also getting difficult to find a place to shoot away from things. BLM is proposing to eleminate target shooting on most of their land south of Phoenix.

The other part of the equation is the terrible mess that people leave out in the desert after they are done shooting. They brought the stuff in, they should haul it out!! There is one area you could probably fill several 10 yard dump trucks with the debris.

I have a great spot not 10 min. away by Quad, or 4 min by car up in NW AZ.

Sheriffs and rangers stop by from time to time and check out what's going on.

I think I impressed the hell out of the sheriff when he came to see if I was dumping and he saw me moving things INTO the truck. (hey, I pay per the ton at the dump and with me and the wife it would be a yearly trip.)

badbob454
11-06-2011, 03:53 AM
near my house we have a nice range ,put on by the dept of fish and game .. but some jerk decided to shoot a few cows adjacent to the range,, and it closed down for @ 4 months ... its finally open again but it was a little scary it wouldnt open again ..

35isit
11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
That's why local sportsman's clubs must be diligent. My club doesn't allow guests except during open events. We average probably 7 or 8 a month. These are matches not just opportunities to shoot. We the members pay $75.00 and annual NRA dues per year to use the ranges any time there is not a match. Which means you can shoot virtually anytime you want.

We still have the same problems as public ranges. Trash left everywhere. One shooter we can't catch who likes to explode tanks of propane gas. Shooters who shoot trees in areas not allowed. People who shoot signs hung on firing line covers from the clubhouse. They feel "I paid my money I'll do what I want". This is happening at a club that has spent about $50,000.00 building three new ranges in the last year.

GRUMPA
11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Times they are a changing alright. Few years back just before I moved away from Phoenix I would go maybe 30 minutes north and be kinda out of town. Sure I passed the range every time I went there but the tight SOB that I am would rather go another 2mi and shoot. Didn't make a difference, left turn, right turn as it was all open area.

Sure folks brought stuff in and never took it back out but I gave it a phrase "Treasure Hunting" and the other half just kinda smiled at me with that look on her face of " Finally I get the house to myself" look on her face. Sometimes I would come home after hours of my free range time with a 5gal bucket of brass and whatever the shooters left behind that they didn't riddle with holes.

Got to the point the local Sheriff guys knew me on site and thought it was a good thing that I was packing more things out than I brought in. The last time I talked to one of my sons I was informed it's all fenced off now and it's all going to be developed. Things are changing but I don't know if it's for the better though.

rockrat
11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Guess I am lucky. I can drive to BLM land 4 miles away or go 10 miles to our clubs range (out to 550yds) and shoot. Members can bring a guest, twice, then the guest has to join. We have had problems with rifle shooters on the pistol range putting holes in the steel "poppers".
We are getting tired of fixing them. Going to put in a security camera and an electronic lock with assignable numbers. We WILL catch who is doing this and make them pay, then boot them out of the club forever.
We have gotten a bit tougher with members. Have lost about 70, but range seems cleaner now, so I don't think it was a great loss.
We still have to be careful, but not any neighbors yet.

Freightman
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I feel lucky as I am #33 at our private club, we are very selective in who is a member. We have limited membership to 385 and have a waiting list we have two action pistol pits, a bulls eye pistol range, a high power range, a small bore prone range and a over run high power range.
All members have a key and are responsible for there actions and are accounted for when they enter the range, there is no metal above ground and we are very serious about safety and trash. You will get barred for any trash that is shot as that is against the rules. Plus we have a indoor pistol range for matches only. The only problem I see with ours is 200 yds is as far as the high power range is.
Yes I am one of the "old" members we have to be real careful as there are houses behind us and one bullet shot in carelessness will get us shut down so we all are very strict about the rules.

LowPE
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
The friendships & camaraderie I have experienced shooting at a club with roughly a $100 a year membership is by far a better deal than shooting on land for free (which I have also done).

Shop around, find a club you enjoy and get involved. Can't recommend it enough!

pdawg_shooter
11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Guess I am real lucky. My range is a 2 minute walk from my back door. Goes out 800 yards and I dont have to pay a fee to use it. No waiting for a bench or less than smart other shooters around!

shooterg
11-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I can understand the OP was mad - but I'da paid another $5 to have my daughter shoot with me. Wish mine lived close enough to do that again.

jcwit
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I belong to a conservation club in southern Michigan. Costs $50.00 bucks a year for dues and that gives me use of the range 7 days a week. We have a large covered pistol range and a 150 yd. rifle range thats also covered with cement benches available if desired. Also available is a small club house thats A/C in the summer and heated in winter and I enjoy the comradelly even if I don't get around to shoot. We generally solve most of the world's problems. if we could only get the rest of the world to listen.

BTW guests are welcome "2 per menber" but are encouraged to join after a few visits.

I think $50.00 is a very reasonable fee for a years worth of enjoyment.

Blacksmith
11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I belong to a club in PA dues are $40 a year of which $15 goes to the land purchase fund to buy more land. Two pistol ranges, two rifle ranges to 200 yds, three two station 50 ft. ranges, trap range and archery range. Club house and active competitions in several categories. Being retired I usually go when everyone is working and often have at least one of the ranges to myself and I can bring guests. There is a public range closer to home but it has to many rambo wannabees.

And the club is a CMP affiliate so it qualifies for buying guns from the CMP. Looks like the selection at CMP is getting pretty slim and they are talking about a price increase so don't put your purchase off.

Blacksmith

CLAYPOOL
11-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Building my second range here @ the farm. I have the first bullet trap @ 100 yards. I am getting ready to build my range house in the back of my pole shed. When thats built I am going to use the ceiling for a way to shoot over the first bullet trap down range to the 300 yard bullet trap. It will be off set in my pasture but I want the height to be able to keep a eye on the cows and calves. The first set up I built like this now belongs to the former MRS. and the "New Man".

Harter66
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm lucky so far . The county owns the land and provides a dumpster . My employer keeps up the target backers,lucky me,I'm the guy . Its free ,posted no improvised targets , and the improvised targets seem to find the dumpster 99% of the time. Its about 10 minutes from home . I can go a mile farther down the hwy instead of a backered 200yd range there is 1500yd on the edge of a mining claim w/ posts and boards for your ivans.

I miss shooting w/my kids I'd of paid too. During a brief stay in Ca every range around had a $50-100/yr membership and $10-25/user daily fee too. It ought to be 1 or the other . When I build my club range w/its 50-100-500-1000yd 5 lanes each and a clays and trap and skeet ranges I can set it up any way I want . Now where's that lotto ticket.............

curiousgeorge
11-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I am also one of the lucky ones.

I have a 25 yard pistol range in my back yard. Both of my neighbors say it makes them feel safer to know that there is someone armed living right next door.

I belong to the local Sportsman's Club just 15 minutes away. Dues were $22.00 last year and that includes your own personal key to the gate to come and go as you please (only $15.00 if you don't want the key). Club house, trap range and rifle / pistol range.

I also have a small farm 25 minutes away. This where I deer, turkey, and squirrel hunt. And any time I feel like it, I set up targets across the field in front of an earthen berm and shoot to my heart's content.

Central Kentucky doesn't have a lot of jobs and the majority of people are farmers and factory workers. But if you can find a way to make a living here, it is beautiful country, most people leave you alone, and the weather isn't too bad in any season. Besides, the women and the whiskey will make you forget about wanting to leave!

JeffinNZ
11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. For a start $5 to use a range is cheap. Secondly, if the rules are $5 per shooter then it's $5 per shooter.

I suggest you buy some land and set up a range and charge people whatever you like on your own rules.......

btroj
11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Clubs need rules, without them we get chaos.
My club requires a 5 dollar guest fee. No problem paying it at all. Keeps the cost of membership down.

I am with Jeff, some times we just need to suck it up and pay the price.

Grant44Mag
11-08-2011, 10:29 PM
For now Im lucky living on a small ranch. I can take my portable bench, rangefinder and set up a imprompto shooting range in just a few minutes. As another shooter from Kali stated some BLM areas only allow hunting, and usually its on foot if you dont have a horse. The Forests near me such as Eldorado Ntnl forest is like what the fellow from AZ stated. Guys take all the garbage from their houses, use it as targets, and leave it behind. Its kinda sickning to see. But on the otherhand, If I couldnt shoot where I live, a $5 charge doesent seem that steep. I guess that as long as the rangemaster treats everyone the same and makes "every" shooter pay it would be fair in My eyes. But, he would sure hear about it if I saw him let someone else get away with it. lol

TCLouis
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
ABQ has one of the nicest City/County Park ranges I have ever been to.

Was a very reasonable day rate and also yearly membership, don't know about now.

Idiots are controlled by rangemaster that seemed reasonable to me with his level of control.

ElDorado
11-08-2011, 11:44 PM
For now Im lucky living on a small ranch. I can take my portable bench, rangefinder and set up a imprompto shooting range in just a few minutes. As another shooter from Kali stated some BLM areas only allow hunting, and usually its on foot if you dont have a horse. The Forests near me such as Eldorado Ntnl forest is like what the fellow from AZ stated. Guys take all the garbage from their houses, use it as targets, and leave it behind. Its kinda sickning to see. But on the otherhand, If I couldnt shoot where I live, a $5 charge doesent seem that steep. I guess that as long as the rangemaster treats everyone the same and makes "every" shooter pay it would be fair in My eyes. But, he would sure hear about it if I saw him let someone else get away with it. lol

Eldorado National Forest! Hey! That's my shooting range! Why do you think I call myself ElDorado?

Seriously, you're right about the junk in some of the shooting spots up there. I don't know who raises these people. I fear that one day they'll shut down recreational shooting just like BLM did. They've already shut down a lot of the off-highway vehicle use because of a few tree huggers filing a lawsuit. That's all it takes.

garbear
11-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I live in a town of 650 and get out of town limits in 5 minutes and be shooting. Sorry had to brag.
Garbear

RKJ
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
ABQ has one of the nicest City/County Park ranges I have ever been to.

Was a very reasonable day rate and also yearly membership, don't know about now.

Idiots are controlled by rangemaster that seemed reasonable to me with his level of control.

I used to go out to that range a lot while stationed at KAFB in the mid 90's. It was a great range. Safe and hospitable. You could meet some nice people there and shoot some nice guns. I also liked that they tried to keep it separated by pistol and rifle shooters which made it nice for both groups. I'm home (retired) now and we have a Conservation area range (25 - 200 yards) about 20 miles from my house. It's unsupervised but well maintained.

mroliver77
11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Growing up on the small farm where I still live I have always had a place to shoot. I don't have a designated range but a couple areas that nature designed for me. I used to let people come and shoot unsupervised but had to end it. Guys left trash and junk fired cases laying in the horse pasture.

Now our buddy Willbird had the run of the place for years and was no problem. A couple others just could not get it. One rule was that you did not bring anybody to my place without me approving them. There are just too many low lifes out there. I would come home to them shooting and a stranger would be with them. " Oh he's my wife's cousin, I thought it would be OK." NOT!!

It is much easier to have guys come by invite only. Hickory from this forum comes to shoot and I have been to his place to shoot. We get on great! :)

I feel for you guys losing your place to shoot. I think that is one way the antis are winning!

I don't agree with public ranges IF they cost tax dollars. Actually I don't agree with public anything IF they cost tax dollars. We have few ranges around here and most are geared for shotgunners.
J

jcwit
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't agree with public ranges IF they cost tax dollars. Actually I don't agree with public anything IF they cost tax dollars.

I agree and disagree with this. Here in No. Indiana our county has spent 100's of thousands for a bike trail, fine if you like to bike I guess, but then match funds for other endeavors that other's pursue. We do the same thing with golf courses.

9.3X62AL
11-09-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty well-set where I live. Two semi-public ranges, at least one other that I haven't fired at. LOTS of open desert in all directions if that strikes your mood.

mroliver77
11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I agree and disagree with this. Here in No. Indiana our county has spent 100's of thousands for a bike trail, fine if you like to bike I guess, but then match funds for other endeavors that other's pursue. We do the same thing with golf courses.

I would rather WE pay for our own hobbies and the Gov not pay for parks, golf courses, bike trails yadda yadda

The State of Ohio is forcing our county to raise the perceived property values and raise taxes. They lowered the value of lower end house but raised it on expensive houses and really gouged us on farm ground. They think my farm ground tripled in value in the last 5 years. I cannot sell it for what they believe it is worth. The state grabbed a nice sum when Mom died. Gotta pay for the "free" stuff somehow.

Sorry when "free" is mentioned I get uppity.
Jay

ErikO
11-09-2011, 04:07 PM
This is why I have distinct requirements for my retirement property to be surrounded by large-ish farms and be at least 1500' on at least one side. ;)

Boz330
11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
It is deer season this Saturday. One of the local ranges is advertising on the radio that you can come out an zero your rifle for a mere $30, doesn't apply to MLs. Ammo is extra. I guess that they exclude ML because they are so slow.

Bob

ErikO
11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I donno, I know a guy that wounded on the first shot and got a kill with the second while using a flintlock. Then again, the deer was NOT going full speed after teh first shot... lol

Iowa Fox
11-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I would rather WE pay for our own hobbies and the Gov not pay for parks, golf courses, bike trails yadda yadda

The State of Ohio is forcing our county to raise the perceived property values and raise taxes. They lowered the value of lower end house but raised it on expensive houses and really gouged us on farm ground. They think my farm ground tripled in value in the last 5 years. I cannot sell it for what they believe it is worth. The state grabbed a nice sum when Mom died. Gotta pay for the "free" stuff somehow.

Sorry when "free" is mentioned I get uppity.
Jay

Same thing going on here in Iowa Jay, the farm taxes are killing my brothers and I. My wife and I built our home in 1980, the material package was 17 thousand dollars. Interest rates were 13 percent at the time and we built it ourselves working day and night seven days a week. We live in the country with no services other than the road. The property taxes are 4600.00 a year on that 17K material package and my labor, thats just the house not the farm taxes. Commercial property taxes in some of the larger towns are sky high and the politicians are impossible to work with.

And now the interest rates on a savings account are about zero and all my conservative investments are going backward.

This country has tilted the wrong way, not sure I'll see it come back in my lifetime.

nanuk
11-12-2011, 08:17 AM
I feel lucky to have an area on my own land that I can shoot safely. 'bout 75yds

also, about a 10min drive gets me onto crown land where there are sand hills and a safe place to shoot... about 125yds

gew98
11-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I can recall while a youngster in New Jerkistan ( before uncle sam indoctrinated me well , attempted to anyhow ) We could shoot in the backyard..until a 'wealthy' development took the woods and apple orchards behind us. There was a huge sandpit in Lakewood New jerkistan that we then frequented alot...until scumbags started treating it like th epinelands and left huge piles of illegal construction garbage and burned stolen cars there. And of course the jackarse's with ATV's and dirtbikes attempted to take it over and eventually one of those SOB's collided with a horse rider whom was injured from the fall from the saddle and thus then in typical city slicker style propmtly sued the land owner whom promptly closed the land off to the public and allowed the polizei free reign to arrest for trespassing... and of course anyone there caught shooting would invariably be found charged with some sort of firearms offence the gub'mit could interpret to charge them with. And then the large farms around me then were almost all completely zoned "NO DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS ZONES... to even include anyform of firearm hunting - permanently. Once the NYC and north jerkistan city dwellers flooded new jerkistan they in their search for 'freedom' brought their oppression and arrogance .
With plenty of cheap acreage in Kentucky I can shoot and hunt on - all my 'back yard' in my name , I do what I want how and when I want. I'm spoiled nowadays... and I actually indulge that ... who would'nt ?. On that note I was in my deer blind this AM and had two doe come within bayonet distance sniffing me out......near close enough if I lifted my L1A1 I would have pinged their noses with it's flash hider !. But I have enough meat in the freezer from Muzz loader season so I seek horns now...plus the meat that comes with it of course.

jackley
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I have some state land we use as a range 5 min from my house. A few years ago the state shut down driving on it because of dumping trash.
That was after we went out there and picked it up. ( 3 wheelers, car parts, and just house hold trash) Well we thought that would be good. But no, the pigs came out just weeks after and dumped a mountain of trash and pushed a car in the pond, the gas and oil killing the fish.

So now you park in parking areas. and driving to the back to be out of every ones way No problem But the pigs come out and shoot anything they can carry. Blow it up and just leave it. I have carried off 3 friges. which cost me $25 a pop to take to the dump. Many computers and TV's. Leave all there hulls on the ground. They even have brought their dogs out to shoot them and just left them lay. It is just a mess. I'm done cleaning it up. If they close it it serves the swine that destroyed it right.

Jerry

gew98
11-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I have some state land we use as a range 5 min from my house. A few years ago the state shut down driving on it because of dumping trash.
That was after we went out there and picked it up. ( 3 wheelers, car parts, and just house hold trash) Well we thought that would be good. But no, the pigs came out just weeks after and dumped a mountain of trash and pushed a car in the pond, the gas and oil killing the fish.

So now you park in parking areas. and driving to the back to be out of every ones way No problem But the pigs come out and shoot anything they can carry. Blow it up and just leave it. I have carried off 3 friges. which cost me $25 a pop to take to the dump. Many computers and TV's. Leave all there hulls on the ground. They even have brought their dogs out to shoot them and just left them lay. It is just a mess. I'm done cleaning it up. If they close it it serves the swine that destroyed it right.

Jerry

Hide a couple game cameras to get pics of them and their license plates and turn the buggers in !.

kingstrider
11-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I guess I'm really lucky here in central KY. My range is about 20 minutes away and the dues are only $40 a year. Most of the time I have the place to myself and can bring as many guests as I want. Best of all there is no range officer. The bad part is I'm moving next summer to the greater D.C. area so have no idea where I'll be able to shoot etc.

fishnbob
11-12-2011, 09:15 PM
And they try to tell me that "The Good Old Days" weren't really that good after all.

Ya, Right!

The sad part is THIS IS THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!! It gets worse each day.:violin:

jcwit
11-12-2011, 09:21 PM
The sad part is THIS IS THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!! It gets worse each day.:violin:

Shouda been around 40 years ago, or 50, or 60, ect., ect.

BOOM BOOM
11-13-2011, 01:15 AM
HI,
I have had the same experience. 3 ranges I shot at for years shut down. A rich out of stater bought land on the other side of the canyon, build a multi-million $ home.
Complained till the city annexed the land & posted it no shooting. The rod & gun club range was free , but now the city places range masters to collect a shooting fee, & range masters think all brass on the ground is theirs. So I drive another 6 mi. & set up in the national forest. That was ok till the forest circus guys started harassing me. :Fire::Fire:

azrednek
11-13-2011, 01:32 AM
The last time I talked to one of my sons I was informed it's all fenced off now and it's all going to be developed.

Hope you are not talking about the area north of Pioneer Rd. Not to much this year but last year got my limit on Dove on every trip. This past season the water was turned off and all the ponds in the area were bone dry. The area were the shooters left their junk was cleaned. If it wasn't for the broken glass could have driven right by without noticing.

Blacksmith
11-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Kingstrider

The greater DC area is not gun friendly. There are places to shoot depending on what part of greater you end up in.

Washington DC is still practally gun free even after Heller. See the Emily gets her gun thread for more insight. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129607

Maryland the suburbs of DC and Baltimore are anti gun but in rural areas guns are ok and there are places to shoot. But there is a maze of laws "assault pistols" are banned, there is an approved handgun list, "assault rifles" are controled, there is a carry provision but nobody can get a permit, waiting period, only buy one regulated firearm in 30 days, magazines over 20 rounds are banned, etc.

Virginia the area just across the river from DC is also liberal and anti gun but most of the rest of the state is firearms friendly with much fewer regulations.

I grew up in greater DC so PM me if you have questions.

Blacksmith