PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first .40 today

Alan in Vermont
11-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Had the chance to put a couple mags worth through a Springfield Armory XD (M) in .40 S&W today. I think the term "underwhelmed" would about fit the experience. Pleasant enough gun to shoot, other than what I think is an abyssmal trigger. Maybe it's just that safety in the trigger that I'm feeling but sure felt like about a half mile of creep. I ran one mag slow fire at about 50 feet, playing kick the can. It seemed to put them where I intended. Then I tried a mag at real short range, double taps. I think that with a little familiarity it would be quicker than my 1911 and it seemed to point about the same (my '11 has the arched mainspring housing). The creepy trigger wasn't noticeable doing DTs as that is more of a fast pull situation where you just pull it through rapidly anyhow.

Overall not a bad shooter but I wouldn't swap anything I have now for one either.

The gun owner doesn't reload so I scrounged the brass. I doubt I'll ever own a .40 but, hey, free brass is swappin' material.

jameslovesjammie
11-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I doubt I'll ever own a .40 but, hey, free brass is swappin' material.

Go try a CZ75B in .40 before you make that statement...you might be surprised.

subsonic
11-05-2011, 09:45 PM
.40 s&w is my least favorite caliber. 10mm is my favorite auto caliber, followed closely by.45ACP

The .40 is too much from too little.

Alan in Vermont
11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Go try a CZ75B in .40 before you make that statement...you might be surprised.

Maybe, but with my budget as tight as it is now I don't see myself buying anything for a long time. I prefer revolvers but I also like 1911s and their variants. It appears to me that the new cartridges are/were designed for higher magazine capacity and probably to meet major caliber status in IPSC matches. The double stack mags make the grip too thick to be comfortable in my stubby hand. I hear things about less recoil than a '11 but didn't notice any real difference today, seems like there was as much muzzle flip as I get out of hardball loads in a 45.

There is also the stingy handloader opinion that it is hell saving brass from an auto.

I did notice that having a big magazine tends to make "spray and pray" marksmen. It was some real informal shooting, bowling ball at 50 ft., and at least one guy got frustrated and ripped out half the mag only to tear up turf. This was the same young jerk who thought I needed coaching on the operation of an auto pistol. I took a chance with a center hold and slowfired 16 (full mag at any rate) rounds into the ball. Thankfully he left me alone after that.

missionary5155
11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Greetings
Walked into the area police supply about 8 years back and there sat a Springfield P9 in .40 S&W. A trooper had brought it in as a trade for something... I had always wanted a CZ75 but not another 9mm. Two mags and out the door. That is one fine shooting tool. My favorite auto pistol (non caliber.45 ACP) that I own. Yep you really should try a .40 in a CZ style frame. Mike in Peru

P.K.
11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
S&W M&P, don't swear off the round just because of a bad experiance with the platform. Taurus just dropped a wheel gun chambered in .40 S&W, the 405 Tracker.

thegreatdane
11-06-2011, 06:50 PM
My next purchase will be a .40 M&P full size with no mag disconnect. I do enjoy the 40, as well as the 10mm. 40 is 10's little brother.

I've enjoyed the Glock 22, 27 so far. Time for an M&P. XD's don't really call me anymore although I own a few of 'em.

9.3X62AL
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I enjoy the 40 S&W, esp. in the CZ-75B. The Glock 23 works well, too. As for street effectiveness, the 40 S&W and 45 ACP are about a "push". The 45 ACP is probably the more intrinsically accurate caliber, and the 45 ACP is LOTS more lead-friendly than the 40 S&W, but the 40 can be trained to handle lead capably.

casterofboolits
11-07-2011, 01:21 AM
I like the 40 S&W and had one of the first 40 Tanfoglios in the area imported by FIE. Just another caliber to play with. Just purchased an EAA Classic Witness (small frame) in 40 S&W as I gave the first one to my son. Heck, I've got several thousand rounds of brass and a dozen mags that were collecting dust. I also have four, four cavity Lyman moulds for the caliber.

.380, 9mm, 38 Super, 38/357, 40 S&W, 41 AE, 41 Mag, 44 Spec, 44 Mag., 45 ACP, 45 Colt. What's next? More casting for sure!

JJC
11-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I have a glock in 40 I like the round. I shot one that had a 357 sig barrel last week. I kinda liked a two cal pistol just swap barrels. I was just missing a clay bird at a hundred yards. I think I was shooting a 37?