PDA

View Full Version : I found a use for those zinc WW's

Ronbo256
11-05-2011, 08:25 PM
"World revolves around Copernicium

Temporarily called ununbium, copernicium, the new element 112, was named for Prussian astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543), who first suggested that the Earth revolves around the sun, not the other way around, and starting the "Copernican Revolution." In a statement released in July 2009, Sigurd Hofmann, head of the discovery team at GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research in Germany, said they named the element after Copernicus "to honor an outstanding scientist, who changed our view of the world."

Hofmann and his colleagues first created a single atom of this extremely radioactive element on Feb. 9, 1996, by smashing together zinc and lead. Since then, a total of about 75 atoms of copernicium have been created and detected. It wasn't until 10 years after the discovery and multiple repeat experiments that the working group recognized element 112."

If we smash them hard enough with the lead WW's we might get a little copernicium, LOL :holysheep Here's the link for the 3 newest elements added to the periodic table yesterday. http://www.livescience.com/16887-elements-copernicus.html

clodhopper
11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Great news!
We can make our own by useing zinkers for targets!
Do you suppose Copernicium will mushroom?

randyrat
11-05-2011, 09:04 PM
No silly, we use them for tracer rounds.ZINCIUM TRACER BOOLITS

geargnasher
11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, I'll sit on this hill and shoot at exactly this angle with a lead boolit, you sit on that hill waaaay over there and shoot a that angle with a zink boolit. Now let me find a place to set my beer and we'll see if we can make the boolits hit each other in the sky! We can call each other on our cell phones and syncronize our trigger squeezes.

Gear

frkelly74
11-06-2011, 07:54 AM
You are going to need a whole heap of velocity. I don't think your lube will hold up.

Ronbo256
11-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Just put a little more beeswax in your lube than normal, it'll be fine! :D

Oreo
11-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Is there a such thing as depleted copernicium? I bet it would make great anti-tank bullets.

a.squibload
11-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Shoot, my wife makes Copernikium all the time, when I find a zinc WW
I toss it to her and she hits it with a lead hammer.
Girl got some arms on her.

Sonnypie
11-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Since then, a total of about 75 atoms of copernicium have been created and detected.

Well, I'm going to need some much stronger reading glasses to see 75 atoms. :shock:
At that rate, how long before they have some pounds of it for casting?

Sigh! Oh well, some A'hole has his 15 minutes of fame. :popcorn:

What idiots are funding these worm pullers? :veryconfu [smilie=l:

williamwaco
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
"World revolves around Copernicium

Temporarily called ununbium, copernicium, the new element 112, was named for Prussian astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543), who first suggested that the Earth revolves around the sun, not the other way around, and starting the "Copernican Revolution." In a statement released in July 2009, Sigurd Hofmann, head of the discovery team at GSI Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research in Germany, said they named the element after Copernicus "to honor an outstanding scientist, who changed our view of the world."

Hofmann and his colleagues first created a single atom of this extremely radioactive element on Feb. 9, 1996, by smashing together zinc and lead. Since then, a total of about 75 atoms of copernicium have been created and detected. It wasn't until 10 years after the discovery and multiple repeat experiments that the working group recognized element 112."

If we smash them hard enough with the lead WW's we might get a little copernicium, LOL :holysheep Here's the link for the 3 newest elements added to the periodic table yesterday. http://www.livescience.com/16887-elements-copernicus.html

I will cast a zinc bullet. You cast a lead bullet. We can stand about ten feet apart, count down from 3, and fire the bullets into each other. If they are going 1000 fps each they would meet with considerable force.
:cbpour: