PDA

View Full Version : Less than 200 lbs and I'm beat!!

captaint
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Maybe I'm getting older than I think. I smelted down about 90 lbs (finished) of Pb and about 90 lbs of WW's and my knee is DONE... Made my "Fall smelt" today. I usually melt all I have every Fall and Spring. Got all my Pb done and one bucket (2/3 full) of WW's. Two more buckets to go - and they're going to wait till Spring. Maybe I need to do my work closer to the deck. I've been going down the hill by the shed and that walk up the hill countless times is killing me... I should get the knee scoped again. It's been swollen now for about 9 months. Glad that much is done though... enjoy Mike

nighthunter
11-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Time waits for no one. In the last 2 years I've had a hip replacement and spinal fusion. My body is a lot slower to heal and I try not to subject myself to the abuse I gave it in years past. However, I thank God every day that I am still alive and that I can walk. Everything doesn't need to be done in a day. I can still get things done but at a slower pace. I'd say smelt closer to the house and enjoy doing it.

Nighthunter

Defcon-One
11-06-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd say try smaller batches, more often. That is more enjoyable and puts less stress on the back and knees. I do batches of 40-60 pounds at a time. I find that, by the time I pour 60 lbs. of lead, I'm ready to go do something else or relax.

Another thing to do is get a bigger ingot mold. I switched to a 5 lb. ingot mold (from RayNH) for my last couple smelts and it really speeds things up. Less stress on me and they still fit in the casting pot if you put them on end. Storage is easier, too!

I am not an MD, so I can not help with the your knees or my back, but I do take a couple of Ibuprofen tabs an hour or so before I start pouring ingots. That takes the edge off of the back pain and keeps the swelling down if I should "do something stupid".

My wife will tell you that I have been known to "do something stupid". In the end we are all getting older, so work wiser!

FN in MT
11-06-2011, 12:28 PM
How timely a post...I helped a new caster yesterday to smelt down 5 buckets of WW's and my *** was DRAGGING by the end of the aftn. Had to take a few aspirins after supper...then had leg cramps half the night!

OP...You are NOT alone.

FN in MT

Philngruvy
11-06-2011, 10:25 PM
I am not an MD, so I can not help with the your knees or my back, but I do take a couple of Ibuprofen tabs an hour or so before I start pouring ingots. That takes the edge off of the back pain and keeps the swelling down if I should "do something stupid".

I am a 60 yo retired ironworker, with all the aches and pains that come with the territory and I swear by the glucosamine tablets. It takes a couple days to kick in but if I stay on a daily routine, they do improve my overall fitness.

BTW, I built six 5 ingot angle iron molds today and smelted down 90 lbs. of stickon wheel weights. I ended up with 47 triangular ingots that are approximately 2 lbs each.

captaint
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Defcon - I like your idea. Going to have to do smaller batches, more often, maybe. The knee does feel better, now though.... enjoy Mike

captaint
11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
You guys got me thinking about that smelt session..... I had some lead?? sheet stuff. So, I put it in the pot and everything else melts, except these sheets!!! I got nervous and pulled them out. They were quite soft and flexible. Wonder what was in them?? There was only like 2 or 3 lbs, so I just threw them out. Anybody ever see this?? Mike

Defcon-One
11-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Mike:

Good luck with the smaller batches, it will help. I'm gonna try the glucosamine tablets and see how they work.

Sheet Lead is probably pretty close to pure, so it melts at a bit higher temp than the Tin/Antimony alloys do. Also, most sheet has a heavy layer of corrosion (gray lead oxides) that keeps the heat from penetrating as fast.

It was probably OK to melt in, but I always say, "When in doubt, throw it out!" I'd hate to wreck a large batch for a few pounds of ???????