PDA

View Full Version : Right place - Right TIME!

Hardcast416taylor
11-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Was perusing the sporting goods at a Meijer Thrifty Acres store today while waiting for the old Frau to get groceries. A father and his 2 teen age sons were getting targets and ammo. I told him to just get orange pasters and use a brown shopping bag for a target. That`s when the older boy was telling Dad he needed some 7 mag. ammo. I asked what rifle he had to need that ammo. Well neither he or Dad knew the rifle nor even what ammo it actually took. Thru a series of questions I finally got out of them it was a 700 Rem. in 7-08! Then the boy really floored me by saying a friend in school said it was alright to shoot .270 and 7 mag. cartridges in it! I straightened him and Dad out on cartridges that are correct to use and where it is stamped on the barrel what ammo to use. I actually had a tremor in my hand after they walked away.Robert

trooperdan
11-05-2011, 03:13 PM
D'oh! Might have saved a serious accident there!

RobS
11-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Self education................lack there of it actually!!!!!!!!!!

frkelly74
11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah! one is just as good as another, not that fussy, Been doing it all my life, neverhurt me none. Can you lead me out of here?

bob208
11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
if you can use a .22 short in a .22 long rifle rifle. why can't you use a .30-30 in a .30-40 ? after all in is just shorter.

i need some .303 sav. to use in my .303 enfield. they will work they are both .303. and they are cheaper..

3006guns
11-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I had a clerk (young girl) in Walmart present me with a box of Remington 7mm magnum once......and I had asked for 7mm Mauser. I requested that she get the floor manager and I explained to both of them the danger of handing out ammo based on the numbers alone. The customer must be sure of what they want and the clerk must be sure to give them exactly that.

blackthorn
11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote "if you can use a .22 short in a .22 long rifle rifle. why can't you use a .30-30 in a .30-40 ? after all in is just shorter.

i need some .303 sav. to use in my .303 enfield. they will work they are both .303. and they are cheaper.. "

You are kidding right??? Just take one of each and stand them side by side and look at the difference. I sure would not want to lose a Moose or Deer because the rifle jammed, not to mention the difference in knock-down power (read miserable tracking job) IF they functioned through the rifle!

waksupi
11-06-2011, 12:24 PM
if you can use a .22 short in a .22 long rifle rifle. why can't you use a .30-30 in a .30-40 ? after all in is just shorter.

i need some .303 sav. to use in my .303 enfield. they will work they are both .303. and they are cheaper..

They will work fine, as long as you don't mind ruining the throat in the rifle.

bob208
11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
i dhould have been more clear these were questions asked of me many years ago. not things i would even think of trying.

runfiverun
11-06-2011, 04:52 PM
i'd like to have seen him chamber that 7 mag in his 7-08.
he'd have to be a burly type to accomplish that.

1Shirt
11-10-2011, 09:30 AM
It is unfortunate that there is far to much of this meantality out there among us great unwashed. It is part of American males being dumbed down, liberalized, raised in urban environments, etc. I have 20ea. 300Win cases (once fired) in a 300 Weatherby, that I picked up on the range. They look like overgrown mashburn bees with a belt. The rifle obviously held them, but I can bet you have a case of a dumbut with a new Weatherby, buying factory ammo from a clerk, and just saying that he wanted 300 ammo. To much city, to little country upbringing today. Just my opinion!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

35isit
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
My wife was office manager of a Kmart for about 15 years. Because of her experience shooting competively ever since we have been married. (Will be 34 years this saturday.) Every deer season or when a customer didn't know what ammo they needed. They would go get her and she would tell customer to bring gun in to store so she could read barrel markings. If she couldn't properly identify ammo needed she sent them to the best gun shop in neighboring town to get it. Have to remember this was in late 70s early 80s. Taking a gun into a retail store of that type would now clear the building and get the SWAT team deployed.

mroliver77
11-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Self education................lack there of it actually!!!!!!!!!!
I am always amazed when I meet them types that believe that when school was over their learning was complete. They don't read, don't ponder. They vote Demirat! OOps sorry.

School just laid down the foundation for my learning. I try to learn all I can. New toys are a reason to study something! I read owners manuals for new to me vehicles. Well most of you here understand where I am comming from.

J

Chicken Thief
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
D'oh! Might have saved a serious accident there!
How?
What mallet would you choose to pry/pound a 7mmRM into a short action 7-08? And what prybar would you choose to get the handle forward and down? Cant be more than 25mm FL resizing from 13mm to 8mm on the neck!

ErikO
11-10-2011, 03:06 PM
How?
What mallet would you choose to pry/pound a 7mmRM into a short action 7-08? And what prybar would you choose to get the handle forward and down? Cant be more than 25mm FL resizing from 13mm to 8mm on the neck!

Never question the strength of stupid with a hammer and a prybar. ;)

ErikO
11-10-2011, 03:09 PM
School just laid down the foundation for my learning. I try to learn all I can. New toys are a reason to study something! I read owners manuals for new to me vehicles. Well most of you here understand where I am comming from.

J

On a casting website, it should be safe to say that ALL of us here are in to learning post-school. Anyone that would use a tool that can be dangerous if missused without reading up on it's proper use first is dumb. :bigsmyl2: